Conjoined twins update - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-28-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
bloodbankdragon
Conjoined twins update

After watching the animals for 24 hours the decision was reached to have the twins humanly euthanized. Thanks for all advice and input on these little girls. It was a very unique and sad situation for me. R.I.P.

Conjoined twins are identical twins whose bodies are joined in utero. It is a rare phenomenon; it is estimated to range from 1 in 50,000 births to 1 in 200,000 births

Two contradicting theories exist to explain the origins of conjoined twins. The older and most generally accepted theory is fission, in which the fertilized egg splits partially. The second theory is fusion, in which a fertilized egg completely separates, but stem cells (which search for similar cells) find like-stem cells on the other twin and fuse the twins together.

Diplopagus: Conjoined twins joined equally with near complete body, only sharing a few organs.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Aw, sorry you had to put them down, but since they were sharing organs they would not have made it. No, it is not very common, just as in humans.
That must have been a very difficult decision.

Tracie

Old 05-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
T-RAY
>???

Did you keep the conjoined dragons? I own a museum in California and we display these types of anomalies. You can contact me at battleinfo2005@yahoo.com

We would like to acquire the body of these dragons.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Beardiepal
Hhey there

Why don't you tell us about your museum? I really don't understand about wanting this sort of thing to display. What is the name of the museum? I always thought when I went to the fair or circus that people who wanted to see the 5 legged pony or the 5000 pound man had to have some bended mind. I would like to understand the museum's purpose. It seems the babies would just be gawked at. I think they need to go outside in a pretty box or something and buried and a concrete marker engraved for them....LOL. But thats just me....Thanks Beth

Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Beardiepal
Eugene, what do you think of this inquiry to taxidermy them or whatever to put in a so-called museum....Just curious...Take good care , Beth

Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
T-RAY
Our museum's purpose is to show children that the world is a mysterious place and that LIFE is the greatest mystery of all. When you see a child's eyes light up with WONDER while looking at the Two Headed Turtles or the 6 legged Squirrel, you will understand why we do this. Only the worms get to see them in the ground. Remember that Nature created them, so we shouldn't feel so uncomfortable about seeing them.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Beardiepal
Perhaps you are right

I have to say that my only experience is with human deformities and I would probably guess a deformity should 1st be seen in an animal....but I would love to see the name of your museum or a website so I can broaden my horizons so to speak...Take good care Beth

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!