Chameleon Cage Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-18-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
Louiscamp
Chameleon Cage Help

I'm looking to purchase a cage for Veils and see the new nylon cages by Apogee reptariums. I am wondering if the alumium cages are better or is the Apogee one okay.

Some people say that crickets eat the nylon and the metal is better, anyone have any experience with this?

Any help would be great.

Lou

Old 07-18-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
Nemesis
I posted about this same thing in the cage forum and I got mixed reviews. Some breeders said they use only reptariums and some said they were terrible. I have aluminum and I love it. I am purchasing a reptarium to see how I like it. I figure if I do not like it I can always use it as an outdoor sunning cage.
The two things I was warned about were the feeders trying to eat it and the light melting it.

Old 07-19-2004, 02:56 AM   #3
projectpardalis
i prefer a screen cage to the nylon type but here is an excellent article written on this very subject to help you decide. the authors are to well known chameleon breeders, vince from screameleons.com and john from chameleonparadise.com.

dennis

Old 07-19-2004, 07:29 AM   #4
Louiscamp
Dennis;

Where is this article located?

Thanks all for your responses.

Lou

Old 07-19-2004, 10:53 AM   #5
projectpardalis
OOPS! here you go

there is the link.

http://www.screameleons.com/portal/a...opDefault.aspx

Old 07-23-2004, 04:22 PM   #6
Louiscamp
Okay;

So I have chosen to use the metal ones. Is a 16x16x30 cage big enough for panthers or carpets?

Lou

Old 07-23-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
Mister_Pokey
Re: Chameleon Cage Help

Quote:
Originally posted by Louiscamp
I'm looking to purchase a cage for Veils and see the new nylon cages by Apogee reptariums. I am wondering if the alumium cages are better or is the Apogee one okay.

Some people say that crickets eat the nylon and the metal is better, anyone have any experience with this?

Any help would be great.

Lou
get the aluminum screened one, ive come to understand that crix will eat trew the nylon mesh in time, plus viewing and accesability are better

Old 08-04-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
mymenagerie_2004
I only use the screen ones, my cats would rip through the nylon mesh like it was butter. I use screen cages outdoors and indoors. If you do decide to go with screen be sure to caulk the bottom of the cage to reduce leakage, I also put in drain holes.

Old 08-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #9
Nemesis
Quote:
Originally posted by Louiscamp
Okay;

So I have chosen to use the metal ones. Is a 16x16x30 cage big enough for panthers or carpets?

Lou
Personally I would go with the larger cage.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
Veiledchamlver
I use only reptariums for my chameleons. Instead of buying a sunning cage and an indoor cage it is light weight and easy to transport. It is also very inexspensive as well. the only bad thing about it is it is kinda hard to see and if the heat lamp touches it too long it can melt. but it only melts if the bulb touches it. the reflector won't melt it. plus crickets haven't eaten out of it for me.
the cheapest place i have found it at is at bigappleherp and lllreptile.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!