Help please!!! Baby bearded - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Kmlutz
Unhappy Help please!!! Baby bearded

I need hep with my baby Blaze. I have not once seen him sleep and I have had him for 4 days now. He is awake when I go to sleep and when I wake up in the morning. I still keep up with the 12 hour light cycle starting at 9 and ending at 9 to 930 pm. I also am in need of a good cheap place to get dubia roaches with fast cheap shipping if anyone knows of any. All help is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Kmlutz
I forgot to mention that he is almost always standing on hind legs with belly against the glass. I take him out to play three times a day for about 15 minutes each time. Have given him two baths. I really am afraid if stressing him because I don't want him to become mean but am afraid that if I don't handle him enough he will not be used to it and become mean. I'm stressing out lol and in desperate need of help. I feel like a brand new mommy all over again.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
chrisis697
Hey krystle i wouldnt get to worked up, im sure hes sleeping when you are. Our lil guy has some of the same behaviour your explaining. We mostly feed him crickets but try fruits & veggies real small here & there. Also make sure hes getting some type of vitamins & calcium supplements along with a uv bulb. Our boy seemed to not want to eat as much either while he was shedding to. You also may have to spray him with water so he drinks or spray sides of enclosure so he can drink from the running water. They dont always use a water bowl. As far as baths, not really sure how comn tht is but if it works for him, good luck. Enjoy there fun lil guys.
Chris
B and S Pythons/facebook

Old 06-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
Ed Clark
He will sleep when the lights cycle off and sometimes late in the afternoon after the cage is heated up and hot.

Taking him out 3 times a day for around 15 minutes may be too much handling for a baby.

Continue with the baths or soaks as that is the only time some dragons will drink. you can try misting the side of the cage with water most will drink from that.

Dragons are generally not mean.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
LauraB
Please provide more info re: Blaze and your set-up. How old is Blaze? What kind of enclosure do you have him in? What substrate? What cage furnishings? What kind/type lights? What are temps? What foods have you been offering?

I also agree you may be handling too much, since he's only been in your care 4 days. Let him chill and acclimate to his new surroundings. Soaking is good, but till he's settled in cut back on the handling and soaking a bit.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Kmlutz
Blaze is about four inches long and the pet store told me he is around three months old but were unable to give me hatch date. I have him in a 20 gallon aquarium that came with the juvenile bearded dragon kit with lights, fixtures, and food bowls, calcium, commercial food that I do not feed him. I feed him three times a day. He seems to eat about four to five in a 15 minute period and I take out the leftovers. I say seems because he will not eat in front of me. Actually Ate one in front of me yesterday! I also put kale and shredded carrots in daily sprinkled with calcium. Also sprinkle crickets daily. The lights I do not know specifics but on the cool side of tank I have food bowl and UVB bulb shines above. It is a ZooMed coil bulb. The temperature on the cool side remains at about 82. On warm side I have a rock directly under basking light with a log connecting the rock to near the back top corner of the tank allowing him to get within 6 inches of his light and the rock sits at about 10 inches away. basking bulb is also ZooMed. I use the reptile carpet. The humidity usually stays at about 30%. Warm side stays between 100-105 during day. At night goes down to 75-80.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
Kmlutz
And I will definitely hold back on handling him for a while. Thank you!

Old 06-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmlutz View Post
Blaze is about four inches long and the pet store told me he is around three months old but were unable to give me hatch date. I have him in a 20 gallon aquarium that came with the juvenile bearded dragon kit with lights, fixtures, and food bowls, calcium, commercial food that I do not feed him. I feed him three times a day. He seems to eat about four to five in a 15 minute period and I take out the leftovers. I say seems because he will not eat in front of me. Actually Ate one in front of me yesterday! I also put kale and shredded carrots in daily sprinkled with calcium. Also sprinkle crickets daily. The lights I do not know specifics but on the cool side of tank I have food bowl and UVB bulb shines above. It is a ZooMed coil bulb. The temperature on the cool side remains at about 82. On warm side I have a rock directly under basking light with a log connecting the rock to near the back top corner of the tank allowing him to get within 6 inches of his light and the rock sits at about 10 inches away. basking bulb is also ZooMed. I use the reptile carpet. The humidity usually stays at about 30%. Warm side stays between 100-105 during day. At night goes down to 75-80.
A 4" dragon is around a week or 2. at 3 months they can be 8-12" or more. stop feeding the carrots until he gets bigger.

Cut the feedings back to twice a day, you will notice him feeding more aggressively feeding twice a day.

Change the cage carpet to paper towels. their nails will get caught in the carpet and they may lose them, you can change to sand when they are big juvies/sub adults.

The coil bulb is a compact florescent, lots of talk about these blinding beardies. I like a zoo med florescent tube for beardies.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmlutz View Post
I also am in need of a good cheap place to get dubia roaches with fast cheap shipping if anyone knows of any. All help is greatly appreciated!
You will find them in the classifieds here.

Feed and Feeders For Sale/Wanted

Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
Kmlutz
Thank you so much once again. I feel terrible for doing so many things wrong. I even researched. I'm sorry but thank you for helping me fix it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!