Heat Pad or Light? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-18-2004, 07:56 PM   #1
taylorbabe
Thumbs up Heat Pad or Light?

My new 3' Ball python has a home. I know alot about Balls but I cannot decide which type of heat soucre she would like best a Heat pad Or a light.IF u guys could could you tell me which is better?She has a heat pad but its old and we are planning on buying a new one.WHich one?

Old 12-18-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Beyond the Web
So you got yourself another Ball, huh? Well then... my preference is a light, somewhere I read light is unnecessary for snakes unless you plan on breeding, but a heat source is a must-have for digestion, so a heat pad will suffice. Stay away from ceramic heat rocks - they will cause more damage than the snake can benefit.

Old 12-18-2004, 08:27 PM   #3
taylorbabe
Thank you I read that a heat rock was bad too. So cool thanks for the info.

Old 12-18-2004, 09:34 PM   #4
NocturnalWeb
I would suggest a heat pad or heat tape. The temperature for your heat source should be around 85-90 degrees. The opposite side of your enclosure should be around 75-80 degrees. This will allow adequate temperatures for your ball python to thermoregulate. If you don't already have one, I would invest in a temp gun (you can get a PE-1 Temp Gun for around $25).

Ball pythons are nocturnal and prefer darkness over light. I use lights in my reptile room but not in the enclosures. You will have to find out what works best for you and your snake.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:07 AM   #5
SnakeCharmerGuy37
hello well honestly i have been dealing with reptiles for over 22 years if you want to hurt the snake put a heat rock in the cage snakes are like lizards the will goto the heat source & lay on it like some snakes will lay right on a light bulb & get burned bad never ever use a heat rock its a horriable idea if the cage inclosure is large enough i use a heat pad type reptile taped on design for outside of the bottom of the cage & a light bulb at the other end of tank above water bowl so it provides moisture in cage inclosure then leave enough room in middle of cage for a huge rock or tree limb for the snake to climb onto to basic with out heat that way if at night you do fell i cant sleep with the light on it has the heat from the pad under tank to stay warm with you always need a light regardless for the needed rays of fake sun light rays anyways dont use heat rock personal id check out ASK JEEVES.com type in where do i find info on ball pythons and it will direct you to tons of lighting,heating ,feeding info to help also good luck bye Harley

Old 12-19-2004, 12:38 PM   #6
NEWReptiles
Use a UTH, LIGHTS SUCK!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!