Snake by way of dog - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
Helenthereef
It's very cool, and even though you make it sound simple, I don"t know many others with such an organised system.

Dogs' capabilities are so much more than many people think.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #12
BlueCrowned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolasanastasiou View Post
I really am not particularly skilled or knowledgeable about training like that. Part of it seems to be the breeds selected as a base. Herding types that are suited for a wide range (very small farm animals up to cows). I really only teach two commands or trigger words. Nice and baby. Anything to be treated gently is a baby. If I want them to step the physical enthusiasm down, I tell them to be nice. My wife uses the same words, but sometimes she refers to a new dog toy as a baby from her habits when she had dogs as a kid and we need to make sure that word is not used for something these dogs are permitted to chew on a roughhouse with. For the tortoises, we introduce something around the size of an adult redfoot when the puppies we bought were small. Eight weeks, give or take. For the litter that was born here, I started getting the litter used to my human baby and some mild-mannered tortoises before their eyes were open. Familiarity of scent. I do not know if that has an effect or not, but it does not seem detrimental and might be beneficial. Whenever I worked with the tortoises, I let the pups sniff them. Light licking is okay. Intense sniffing is okay. If they get excited with the licking, we back them off and tell them "Nice!" with an elevated volume. Easier to get them used to things with a medium-sized tortoise. I do not allow them any access to hatchlings and small juveniles to start. When I feel they are ready, then they get progressively less restricted contact. My dogs have thrown dog toys at the larger tortoises and then looked confused when the tortoises did not throw them back.

Dogs are fascinating. Detection of various chemicals gives them a lot of applications beyond hug-beasts (but they are hug-beasts first to me).

I will send you a message after I finish up with some stuff tonight.
I have read a few interesting articles somewhere about how exposing newborn puppies to different textures and positions increases development of their nervous system and makes them more well adjusted as adults, less likely to react adversely to new stimuli, so I would say it definitely has an effect. Cannot remember what it was called right now, "something" protocol lol

Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #13
BlueCrowned
Also, one of my dogs is really indifferent about my other pets and the other one runs from newborn mice, but at least neither of them are a threat!

Old 01-28-2018, 07:43 PM   #14
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
Also, one of my dogs is really indifferent about my other pets and the other one runs from newborn mice, but at least neither of them are a threat!
I'm a dog lover too- my current 2 aren't entirely trustworthy but are well-supervised, but a few years back I had an Italian Greyhound that didn't fit the mold for 'hound' behavior. She came trotting toward me one day with a huge toad in her mouth that appeared dead. She laid it on the ground as I scolded her, only to find that it was "pretending death" and was actually unharmed. It got up and left without further molestation.

I do allow my dogs to sniff my pet snakes occasionally (while I hold them) & tell them to just "kissy". They do seem to know not to hurt them. In the yard might be another story though, especially for anything that moves fast. Around here, I have the occasional garter snake, but there is much ground cover so happily they get away. These dogs don't seem to care much about toads, thankfully and they were mystified when a large box turtle wandered in. They were a little afraid of it & I was glad, but I relocated it for safety out of my yard anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!