What would you do if you got sent IBD? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-18-2002, 08:33 PM   #21
The BoidSmith
First it would be interesting to know from Bill himself if he knew the snakes were sick (not necessarily IBD). It SEEMS likely as he agreed to send two other snakes from his own collection upon request. Second it would be interesting to know if he told Chris about it. If he did tell him, it would be interesting to know if Chris accepted them anyways because "the price was right". As for the quarantine it seems that it didn't take place at all. I guess we are stuck with just one bell ringing here.

Daniel

Old 02-18-2002, 11:24 PM   #22
RRaider
Just So everyone will know, I post as Chris on Kingsnake.com and I know at least one other person who is not Chris H. does also. So, some of you may be mistaken on who's posts your reading on Kingsnake.com. In fact I almost registered as Chris H. as My name is Chris Hayes but saw his username just before I registered.

Old 02-19-2002, 01:28 AM   #23
Sandy
WAIT! He lies too. He claims Bill Cagle uses other peoples names when signing posts. One of these names he said Bill signed himself as, has been a very good friend of mine for 8 years. Her name is Lisa. I know for a fact that this is a lie. Lisa has been sitting back reading all the crap this kid is saying and has posted absolutely NOTHING.You can read my comment to this Chris ( oh wow, maybe he's more like Sybil!)person on the KS forum. I don't think he'd be happy if God himself came down and gave him his perfect creation!

Old 02-19-2002, 06:44 AM   #24
Tribal Propagation
Just curious, but when did they start being able to identify Inclusion Body Disease by doing a fecal exam or a mouth swab? Last I knew the only way to tell if the snake was positive was a necropsy and checking the kidneys & liver. True the snakes may be sick, but I would get a second opinion on the results. If they are in fact sick with IBD, euthanize them now! Do the responsible thing and don't pawn them off on anyone else to further spread this infection around. IBD has become the number one witch hunt and many sick snakes that have been misdiagnosed have been euthanized for now reason. If your really curious by pass your vet and find the center for disease control (animal division) and have them do a necropsy. Good luck!

Tribal Propagation:
Brian & Laura
1255 Saratoga Lane
Geneva FL 32732
407-349-2824

Old 02-20-2002, 09:30 AM   #25
ReticEd
As for IBD, no, there isn't any test for when the animal is alive! I asked the same to PARC and I got this as a reply mail.

There is no definitive blood test for IBD. Sometimes you can see inclusions in red blood cells that are associated with IBD, but not diagnostic of IBD. Inclusions can be caused by other things, and the red cell inclusions are not manufacturing centers of virus. So...... definitive diagnosis of IBD remains a diagnosis made only by tissue biopsy. Inclusions are best found in biopsies of the sophageal tonsil, liver, kideny, or digestive sytsem. Biopsies can be obtained pre-mortem by endoscopy. Charles Innis, VMD

And here's a link for more,
VetMed IBD

Old 02-21-2002, 04:57 AM   #26
AZTEC FRED
What would I do?
since this has allready passed, and Chris will have by now taken the snake to get a necropsey done on it to confirm I.B.D.i will adress it from that point out.

CHRIS,

I would get rid of all the snakes in your collection that you currently have.  I would EUTHANIZE the two replacement snakes you got from Bill Cagle from his"private collection"

I would discard food bowls, cages, utensild or heat pads/racks.
In short I would gut your collection and start all over about 5 months from now.
I am NOT saying this to be vindictive, that is what I would do.

And I would buy boas in the future from ONLY known breeders who live close enough so that you can visit andsee their snakes and the care they take of them.  Failing that, a reputable outlett or person, like Peter Watson, Pro Exotics, or Matt Turner would be MY choice for boas.

fred

Old 02-21-2002, 10:03 AM   #27
Brian Oakley
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT POST FRED!
I have been saying that, but I was "overreacting", "paranoid", "have no knowledge".
I could not have said it better myself.
Thank you Fred.
Brian Oakley

Old 02-21-2002, 11:10 PM   #28
CFRB
Come on people you are making me feel real old hear. IBD was identified in the 70's and has probably been around for 100's of years. It was a major concern in the mid 80's to python breeders. A boa can carry the decease for its whole life without showing any symptoms. But a python once exposed has little time. As a cheap test you can house a Ball Python with a boa 30 days and if IBD is present you will have a dead Ball Python . The virus is shed during stress, and the housing them together will provide that. Also the test procedure is a liver biopsy and can be done on a live animal for about $110 and involves to 2 ventral scales, 2 stitches and a small sample for the lab. Please study the animals in which you want to keep or breed and be aware of the risks involved with every purchase. spam_Lets come together and help each other and provide homes and life, for the animals who's habitats we destroy.

Old 02-21-2002, 11:40 PM   #29
bssnakes
CFBR,
   You have my attention.  And I hope some others.
You need to include your full name with your post or it will be deleted.  Can you tell me where to research this topic??
Thanks,
     Tom

Old 02-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #30
bssnakes
I am sorry I meant CFRB!!!
    Tom

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!