retic morph help!!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
lefty "the real one"
retic morph help!!!!!!

im undecided on what pair of retics to buy. iv been offered a few but cant make my mind up. i want the most interesting prospects for breeding. could anyone help me as im terrible at genetics. what would i get with the following pairings??

super tiger x lavender albino

type 2 albino x lavender albino

tiger het albino x super tiger

super tiger x type 2 albino

Old 03-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
reticguy76
supertiger x lavender = all tigers 100% het for albino
amel (type 2 albino) x lavendar = normals all 100% double het for clark strain and type 2)
tiger het albino (assume clark strain) x supertiger = 50% tigers/50% supers 66% het albino
supertiger x amel = all tigers 100% het amel
the most beneficial pair for breeding purposes would probably be tiger het albino x lavender

Old 03-18-2009, 04:15 AM   #3
lefty "the real one"
thats great thanks. no doubt i will be back asking about more as i just cant make my mind up as which to buy. i dont want to spend too much [£800 max] but want somthing interesting. the amel type 2 is a clark strain and im starting to lean towards that as the female as iv found a really nice yearling. what would you suggest for a male to go with her? my aim is not to have too many albinos in the clutch but at the same time trying for a few different morphs in the same clutch. the reason being that the albino burms have run their course here in the uk and i can see the retics doing the same thing eventually. iv been breeding burms for some time now and didnt realise how different they are to retics when it comes to the genetics. thanks again for your help

cheers lefty

Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
reticguy76
the amel is not compatible with the clark strain of white, lavender and/or purple albinos. amels are only compatible with amels. the benefit of the clark strain is that you can produce any combo of the three phases or all three. with amels, you only get amels

Old 03-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
lefty "the real one"
so if i got a lavender pair theres a chance i can produce all 3 clark strains [ purple, lavender and white]?? thanks for the advice by the way

Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
reticguy76
as long as both of them are clark strain, you have a chance at producing all three phases. whites and lavenders being the dominant phases in the litter, generally.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
tiger het albino (assume clark strain) x supertiger = 50% tigers/50% supers 66% het albino
Since only one of the parents is het albino, the only 50% of the offspring would be hets. (66% hets are the product of het x het pairings)

Old 03-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
reticguy76
good catch, mr. moore. i was thinking the super was het also for some reason

Old 03-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
lefty "the real one"
iv decided to go for bateaters. i know its a bit different to what i originaly had in mind, but i have a male burm that will service anything lol!

Old 03-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
reticguy76
bateater are very very tough. the ones that have successfully hatched out bateaters, have all had 1-3 male retics in and/or rotating between 10-12 female burms. they are very tough to produce, especially if you only have one or two retic males and one or two female burms. its something that just doesnt occur in nature, so its very very hard. ive tried myself, and i just didnt have enough breeders to rotate and be successful. even if you are lucky enough to get a locking, the next step is laying good eggs. then, if you are way lucky to have that happen, then you have to be extra lucky incubating them properly. i wish you luck, its tough

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!