Help! Mold on eggs! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
PlatinumRosePythons
Question Help! Mold on eggs!

How do you get rid of mold on the eggs??

Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
David Bellis
I use athlete's foot powder. I think the brand I have is Lotrimin? Use a little powder and it keeps it from growing/spreading.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
PlatinumRosePythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bellis View Post
I use athlete's foot powder. I think the brand I have is Lotrimin? Use a little powder and it keeps it from growing/spreading.
Thanks so much! You just leave it on the eggs? It doesn't dry them out or anything?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
snakesRkewl
you want to address why your getting mold on the eggs at the same time.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
PlatinumRosePythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
you want to address why your getting mold on the eggs at the same time.
I had to use cypress mulch and sphagnum moss as the bedding until the vermiculite gets here. Overnight the moss on the sides and bottom of the eggs got wet and now 2 of them are just starting to get moldy.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Balls Deep Reptiles
I agree with David the lotrinum antifungal foot powder works great. Even the nastiest eggs have hatched! Good luck!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
TexasVipRoom
I have never heard of that great advice! thanks for sharing

Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Shadera
Any update? Mold will also grow on eggs that are dying or dead. Hopefully that's not the case here.

Ball python eggs like a lot of humidity when they're cooking, but actually sitting in water of any sort or water dripping on them can quickly kill them.

May I suggest some substrateless incubation? It's easy to set up, and difficult to mess up.

Basically, set eggs on some sort of device that keeps them up off the substrate and out of the water. A lot of people use lighting grates, plastic "eggcrate". Plastic craft canvas, you know the kind with the holes for stitching, can also be used as long as whatever it is is stable and your eggs won't move around on it. Underneath can be nothing but water, or you can use some substrate. Vermiculite, perlite, aquarium gravel, marbles etc.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
PlatinumRosePythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Any update? Mold will also grow on eggs that are dying or dead. Hopefully that's not the case here.

Ball python eggs like a lot of humidity when they're cooking, but actually sitting in water of any sort or water dripping on them can quickly kill them.

May I suggest some substrateless incubation? It's easy to set up, and difficult to mess up.

Basically, set eggs on some sort of device that keeps them up off the substrate and out of the water. A lot of people use lighting grates, plastic "eggcrate". Plastic craft canvas, you know the kind with the holes for stitching, can also be used as long as whatever it is is stable and your eggs won't move around on it. Underneath can be nothing but water, or you can use some substrate. Vermiculite, perlite, aquarium gravel, marbles etc.
Lost two eggs, not sure if one of the others will make it. Two eggs still have good strong veins so I'm still hopeful. I have them on vermiculite now and they are doing much better. I'm getting one of those light diffusers ASAP.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:34 AM   #10
PlatinumRosePythons
Well I lost all the eggs unfourtunatly . Hopefully next year I'll do better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!