Frilled Dragon Losing Toes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
SJdport57
Frilled Dragon Losing Toes

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  IMG_1023.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  265.7 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Last November I purchased a sub-adult frilled from Ben Siegel Reptiles. He came in perfect and healthy and did great for the first month. Then I went on vacation for three weeks and left him in the care of a friend. When I returned he was missing all but 2 toes on his right front foot. I can't seem to figure out way he lost them but now some other toes (on front and back left) are not looking so good either. I keep his enclosure specs at 120 hot, 80 cool and a humidity range of 55-80% (depending on the side of the cage). He recieved a regular misting once a day in addition to his constantly flowing waterfall. A tropical UVB is located next to his basking spot and he is fed black soldier fly larvae and dusted Dubai roaches which he prefers to be tong fed to him (spoiled). Does anyone have any advice? Should I treat the injured toes with neosporan or iodine? I can't think of any reason he shouldn't be thriving but maybe I'm missing something.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
elena
Are there any large areas of screen in that enclosure? Sometimes toes can get caught in screen and become injured. Look around for anything else in the enclosure that toes could get caught in. I have seen these injuries before on other active climbing lizards such as basilisk, iguana and water dragon. Treating with Neosporin is a good idea, may want to get a vet visit in to prevent the injured toe from being lost.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
SJdport57
Thank you for the advice. There is only one area with any screening and it is small and completely inaccessible to the lizard. I'll look for anything that may catch his toes but I was very careful when building his enclosure. I don't know if this affects anything but his substate is bioactive soil with oak leaf litter.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
SJdport57
Update: Need advice! Still losing toes and weight!

The lizard has lost more toes and now is losing weight. His skin keeps falling in off and drying out even though I'm giving him regular soakings and cleaning his toes with iodine. I'm running out of options and I need help!

Old 02-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
elena
Is he eating and drinking? It might be time to take him to the vet now that he is losing weight.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:28 AM   #6
Magic
Any update on this little guy??

Old 07-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
SJdport57
Unfortunately he ended up not making it. The condition worsened even after a vet trip, antibiotics, regular iodine baths, a complete tank disinfecting, and topical treatments. In the end I had him put down after he was gonna loose a foot and had stopped moving. Sad but I've heard this isn't uncommon for New Guinea frillies.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!