Bad Guy Christopher Pratt (prattnc or prattnc@gmail.com) from Kansas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
xPantherx
Christopher Pratt (prattnc or prattnc@gmail.com) from Kansas

I am very disappointed that I have to do this, but I really have no other choice at this point. I bought a female crested gecko from Christopher Pratt (prattnc here, and on PangeaReptile) back in July. He has failed to ship each and every time, putting it off continuously. I let it slide, understanding that weather over the summer can provide difficult shipping circumstances. However, it is now October, and until the beginning of this month, I had not heard from him since early in September. I have tried to call him several times this month, only to have been blocked. I had a business partner also leave him a message, and I haven’t gotten any call or email from him since his last email – however, the last time he has been on Fauna was 10/9/2011 (screen shot included), and the last time he was on Pangea was 10/16/2011 (I do not have a screen shot, although a moderator from there may have access to this). I am very upset about this, and have decided to take this issue up with PayPal – although their claim window has ended, I did not know about this time limit until now – and the legal process. It is not about the $300 I sent to him so much as it is about principle and good business (or rather just overall good ethics). I am very disappointed, and I hope that this thread will bring to light his true character, and dissuade anyone in the reptile community or other communities from doing business with him in the future.

I have also attached a photo of the gecko I bought from him, for the record. The classified thread can be found here with more photos of her: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=256943

Included below are all of our correspondence in chronological order. It includes private messages on Faunaclassifieds, emails, and texts. No content whatsoever has been changed, but the formatting has been changed in order to provide a smooth recount of our conversations.

*** In the texts, the first three digits of my phone number are 978, while his are 913. In addition, everything sent by me is in black, while everything sent by him is in red.

To : prattnc
Date : 2011-07-11 23:24
Title : Shipping quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there,

I was wondering if you could give me a shipping quote to 01966? I'm pretty interested in that female!

Thanks,
Kai

To : xPantherx
Date : 2011-07-12 07:14
Title : Re: Shipping quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

usps will be about 35
ups will be about 77
syr will be about 62

let me know soon what you want to d0 i have a few people that are really interested

Date : 2011-07-12 11:19

Ok, sounds good. I will check what finances look like today, and let you know by 5pm or so. I'd really like her. If you'd be willing to do $300 shipped with USPS, I could send you it in full by 1pm.

Date : 2011-07-12 11:23

I already had a guy offer me that i could do 310 shipped usps or 340 shipped syr

Date : 2011-07-12 11:44

Alright, thanks anyway.

Kai

Date : 2011-07-12 11:54

If I did do 300 shipped how would you want it shipped

Date : 2011-07-12 12:02

USPS would be fine.

Date : 2011-07-12 12:17

300 shipped usps will be fine my paypal is prattnc@gmail.com

Date : 2011-07-12 14:11

will 300 shipped usps work and when will you be able to pay

Date : 2011-07-12 16:53

I'll send it tonight as soon as I'm home from work.

Thanks!
Kai

Date : 2011-07-12 16:55

sounds great thanks

Date : 2011-07-12 17:04

Hey sorry one more quick question, if I'm able to send the money now, would you be able to get her out today for arrival tomorrow? I just found out I'll have someone home to receive her then.

Thanks!

Date : 2011-07-12 17:07

Its 100 degrees here today so i would have to wait tell it cools down for a day or 2

Date : 2011-07-12 17:47

is that gunna be ok

Date : 2011-07-12 18:37

I want to make sure you still plan on buying her, i have other offers to look at if you dont want her. I will ship her as soon as the weather here gets around 85 for a day or 2, weve just had some really hot weather come through recently

Date : 2011-07-12 19:27

Hey - I just sent it

Tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday are going to be the coolest here in a while, and it looks like the weather for you tomorrow/Thursday is around 88 with thunder storms? If it's cool enough for you to feel comfortable shipping, just let me know and I can give you the best address to ship to, since it'll depend.

Thanks so much!
Kai

Date : 2011-07-12 19:29

I dont like to ship on thursday just in case something happens and shippings delayed you wouldnt get it til monday

Date : 2011-07-12 19:31

It could possibly a week or two before its cool enough

Date : 2011-07-12 19:38

it needs to be about 85 to ship and it doesnt get below 89 for atleast the next 10 days, if you cant wait i can refund your money now but i need to know soon , i have someone else that wants her and is willing to wait

Date : 2011-07-12 20:06

Yep that's fine. Just drop me a line when you're set to ship so I can give you an address

Date : 2011-07-22 12:37

Hey there,

I just checked your weather, and it looks like the high for Monday is about 90. All next week is cool enough for me to receive here. If you feel comfortable shipping next week, that would be awesome - depending on where the forecast ends up.

Thanks!
Kai

Date : 2011-07-22 23:10

My local forecast is saying 94 on monday but i will watch and see if it changes, if you want to check my weather go to this site its more accurate than the weather channels website, fox4kc.com

Date : 2011-08-01 18:31

looks like a couple more weeks atleast before i can ship, theres a couple days in the 80's coming up but its a friday and saturday of next week so that wont work

Date : 2011-08-03 09:56

Hey there,

No problem. Whenever the temperature is low enough by you should work for me. It's pretty cool here now, and probably will be for the rest of the month.

Thanks for checking in

Date : 2011-08-07 12:17

Looks like I can probably ship Tuesday or weds, what's the address and do you want the shipped to your house or hold at the post office

Date : 2011-08-07 22:42

I checked the weather again and the best day will be wednesday, will you be able to receive her on thursday, and can you give me a number to reach you at, mine is 9139078476 you can call or text.

Date : 2011-08-09 11:17

Hey there,

That works great! I will double check to make sure someone will be home and let you know which address or if to have her held.

Thanks!

8/11/2011 10:12a
Any chance you’d be able to ship out this monday for arrival on tuesday?

8/15/2011 10:24a
Just wondering if you were shipping out today?

8/15/2011 10:27a
Probably not today but Wednesday mite be cool enough

8/15/2011 10:28a
Ok sounds good!

8/16/2011 9:33p
They change the forecast to 91 here tomorrow, I guess will try for Monday

8/16/2011 10:00p
I don’t think ill be able to get her next week or the week after that, because of vacation. Possibly after that though?

8/16/2011 10:01p
ok just let me know when your ready for her and ill check the weather

8/16/2011 10:04p
I’m not too sure when, since my address will be different as of sept 1st, and it may not be until I can can get a week off from school. Ill let you know

8/17/2011 1:24p
Hey, haha, so I just thought of this (kinda slow on my part) but depending on the weather for you next week, if you want to ship her to be held at the post office, I can pick her up that way.

8/17/2011 1:27p
ok

8/22/2011 3:21p
Did you ship today? Or was it too hot?

8/22/2011 3:22p
No it was 90 degrees today

8/22/2011 3:22p
Ok

8/22/2011 3:25p
It will be even hotter tomorrow but next Tuesday is showing 81

8/22/2011 3:29p
No rush, I totally understand. I’m jealous of your weather though! Its been in the 70’s here.

8/22/2011 3:36p
Id rather it be 70 I hate hot weather

Date : 2011-09-08 01:38

Hey there,

Is there any chance that you could ship next week? The best day for me to receive would be Wednesday, but I could probably work out any day. My new address is ** W****** Rd (Rear Apt) Lexington, MA 02421.

Just let me know! Thanks,
Kai

Date : 2011-09-08 06:56

It is gunna be almost 90 Monday and Tuesday but it mite be cool enough to ship Wednesday for a Thursday arrival

Date : 2011-09-27 10:47

Hey there,

The best day for me to receive is Wednesdays, since I do not have class until 1:30pm. I know it's late notice, but if you can get her out today, that would be great - if not, no big deal. Just let me know, and maybe I can see if the post office by campus can hold her on another day.

Thanks,
Kai

Date : 2011-10-02 03:53

Hey,

Can we plan on shipping for arrival on Wednesday, Oct. 5th? Even if it is warm by you, I think everything will be ok.

Thanks,
Kai

Date : 2011-10-03 13:44

Hi,

Please ship out tomorrow. I haven't heard from you in about a month. I realize that temperatures have been high, but it now looks to be in the low 80's by you, and I have shipped many geckos with no problem in this temperature range. It is beginning to get too cold to ship near me, so I'd like to do this before it does. If you can't get her out tomorrow, can you please refund my money?

Again, my address is

Kaiden Waldron-Francis
** W****** Rd
Lexington, MA 02421

Thanks,
Kai.

I also sent this to your Gmail address.

Shipping the Red Harlequin female
TO: prattnc@gmail.com
Message flagged
Monday, October 3, 2011 1:44 PM

Hi,

Please ship out tomorrow. I haven't heard from you in about a month. I realize that temperatures have been high, but it now looks to be in the low 80's by you, and I have shipped many geckos with no problem in this temperature range. It is beginning to get too cold to ship near me, so I'd like to do this before it does. If you can't get her out tomorrow, can you please refund my money?

Again, my address is

Kaiden Waldron-Francis
** W***** Rd
Lexington, MA 02421

Thanks,
Kai.

Re: Shipping the Red Harlequin female
TO: K. Waldron-Francis
Message flagged
Monday, October 3, 2011 1:51 PM

I messaged you on fauna a few weeks ago about shipping on tuesday in stead of Wednesday and it took you three weeks to answer me. Every time i contact you about shipping you dont get back to me quickly enough and its to late. You cant email me the day before and exspect me to get her out the next day.

TO: Christopher Pratt

Message flagged
Monday, October 3, 2011 4:45 PM

I PMed you last week, yesterday (Sunday), and again today - please double check your inbox. If you can't get her out tomorrow, please refund me via PayPal.

Thanks again,
Kai

Message flagged
Monday, October 3, 2011 5:02 PM

I got your email yesterday, im talking about all the other times i emailed you asking if i could ship and you would either say you cant that day or you wouldnt get back to me in time. I cant send her out tomorrow, tuesdays are my late days at work this time of the year and you cant demand a refund because i cant get her out tomorrow , i can send her Monday.

Message flagged
Monday, October 3, 2011 6:24 PM

Christopher,

I have been trying to work out shipping for well over a month now. I am tired of continually postponing it, even in cases of good weather. Please issue me a refund. I do not have time to keep wasting, especially with the weather getting cold. In my PM from last week, I clearly said that the days which I can receive are on Wednesdays. If you can't figure out a way to get her out to me on a Tuesday, I do not want to waste any more energy. I had the time before classes started again, but shipping fell through every time.

I'm sure you will find someone else to buy her.

My PayPal is C******@aol.com.

Thank you.
Kaiden

Message flagged
Monday, October 3, 2011 6:40 PM

The reason shipping fell through all those time was because it eas either to hot, you where out of town, or nobody would be there to receive her, it is not my problem that you can only receive her on Wednesday. If that was gunna be an issue you should have told me that when you paid for her. And everytime i have asked if i can ship her you wouldnt let me know til that day. If you want a refund you can try through paypal but i have offered to ship her Monday. The payment you made to me is also considered a deposit and if for some reason you cant receive her in a reasonable amount of time you deposit will be forfeited. Ive basically been feeding and taking care of your gecko for almost three months. Its not like i havnt tried to send her it just always seems like its not a ggod time for you.

Message flagged
Monday, October 3, 2011 8:07 PM

You seem defensive, which is unfortunate. I'd like to handle this in a civil manner. I told you via text message back in mid- August that I'd be busy with school. I am trying to work out a time with you, but haven't heard from you in a month. I understand that you are upset by me asking for a refund, but please consider where I am coming from.

Please get her out this week, just let me know when. I will contact my professors and go out of my way to adjust my schedule. If you can't, then I will take the refund up with my bank and Paypal. I've never heard of anyone refusing a refund, especially when the price is paid in full and it is not a deposit. If you had issue with this, it would have been nice to see it in your "Terms and Conditions". I am not asking for a deposit back, I am asking that if you cannot get her out, I'd like to at least get my money returned for something I am wasting time over.

Thank you,
Kai

Message flagged
Monday, October 3, 2011 8:25 PM

Christopher,

Please also note that next Monday is a holiday.

Kai

Message flagged
Monday, October 3, 2011 8:29 PM

I messaged you on september 9th stating i could ship her Wednesday, then i get an email from you today saying you havnt heard from me. So it took you about 3 weeks to respond to me. Ive asked you several times if i can ship and you couldnt every time. So i stopped even trying until you email me which took you three weeks and then you tell me to ship her tomorrow and or give you a refund. I would think if someone paid 300 dollars for something they would go out of there way to receive it , instead you make it sound like its my fault, im pretty sure weather, your classes , you being out of town and you moving are not my fault. I can ship monday like i said. Also paypal cant do anything about it since its over 45 days. Also i just received your last email about monday being a holiday so i would be able to ship next Wednesday.

Message flagged
Monday, October 3, 2011 10:57 PM

Christopher,

Again, if you cannot get her out this week, I will be taking this not only to PayPal, but also to Fauna. I contacted you last week, and did not hear back. September 9th was nearly a month ago. In terms of good business practice, I have provided the assumption that the "customer is right" to my buyers, and have gone out of my way to ship their geckos to them. It's unfortunate I haven't received the same treatment.

I think I have given you ample warning in order to get her out by this week. I am really not trying to start anything, I've been very patient. Please feel free to go back and reread our messages. I still have everything as SMS texts between us, and can resend them as necessary. I have an exam tomorrow evening (6pm), and will be studying from now until then, so my emails will be limited to only the important ones.

Thank you,
Kai

Message flagged
Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:28 PM

I'll be checking my email and phone (XXX.XXX.XXXX) regularly the rest of this week, and will wait for your confirmation that she is out. Please just let me know when, so I know which day to take off from class.

Again, if I don't hear anything by Friday, I'll be in touch with PayPal and will send you an email with a link on Faunaclassifieds.

Thanks,
Kai

Message flagged
Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:39 PM

This is gunna be the the last time i tell you, i can send her out next week. It was 86 degrees today and will be about the same tomorrow, i told you in the beginning that if the temp is around 85 or higher i do not feel comfortable shipping especially since we agreed to use usps. I dont know how this is gunna work if you cant follow the terms we agreed on. At this point you should just contact paypal, it doesnt sound like you want to work with me. To me it sounds like you need money so you start demanding a refund. And you can contact fauna, that was the first and last time i will use it to sell or buy anything.

Message flagged
Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:47 PM

Christopher,

If you can't get her out this week, then just please send the refund with PayPal, and put her up for sale on Pangea or Fauna. That way there will be no thread on the BOI about you, and you should be able to get her sold.

Kai

Message flagged
Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:49 PM

Im not gunna go through this whole process of selling her when she is already sold. Im done messing with it. It to warm to ship tomorrow. So either you can wait til next week or contact paypal.

Message flagged
Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:32 PM

How do I know that you will actually be able to get her out next Wednesday, and it won't be like all the other times you have failed to deliver? To be quite honest, your empty promises to ship are becoming a real headache...

As someone with 7 years of shipping, I have had no trouble sending out when the high is under 90, and that includes many people I have spoken to as well. 85 is no issue, provided you insulate the box and use a cold pack. But if it's really that much trouble, I'll be talking to Paypal and probably a lawyer tomorrow. Like I said, this is the final week. In addition to that, it strikes me as odd that you are so willing to say "next week will be better" based on weather, but didn't know Monday was a holiday. If you really are in fact checking the weather, I'd expect you to at least notice Columbus day.

Kaiden

Message flagged
Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:40 PM

I never said next week would be better weather, i said its to hot tomorrow, and i have never once said i was going to ship and cancel last minute, every time i have contacted you to ship you would say that day wouldnt work or you would finally answer me back the day i was wanting to ship, so then i wasnt prepared. And there no point in going back and forth about this. Everytime you emailed me you would always say" i know its late notice but can you get her out tomorrow" or something like that.

Message flagged
Tuesday, October 4, 2011 11:52 PM

Regardless of what happened in the past, since we can't really come to terms, would you be able to get her out this week via FedEx if I were to send you the difference in shipping USPS vs. FedEx? 85 is shippable, and FedEx in my area is reliable.

Let me know.

10/6/2011 3:00p
Hey, its Kai. I don’t know if you got my last email, but I’d like to apologize. If you can get her out next week Wednesday, I’d really appreciate it. Just let me know so that I can take Thursday off.

Message flagged
Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:34 PM

Christopher,

If you can get her out next Wednesday (10/12) for arrival the following Thursday, then I'll take Thursday off. Please let me know, so I can notify my professors that I won't be in class. I'd like to work this out.

Thanks again,
Kai

10/6/2011 3:00p
Hey, its Kai. I don’t know if you got my last email, but I’d like to apologize. If you can get her out next week Wednesday, I’d really appreciate it. Just let me know so that I can take Thursday off.

Shipping

Message flagged
Sunday, October 9, 2011 8:44 PM

Hey,

I sent you a text earlier this week. Just let me know if you can ship out on Wednesday like you said, I can go to class late on Thursday. The weather this week is good around here, but probably won't last, and I think this will probably be our last warm week.

Thanks,
Kai

10/10/2011 9:17p
Are you getting any of my emails?

Date : 2011-10-11 10:11
Title : Shipping

Hey there,

I sent you a couple emails and texts, I'm not sure if you got them. I was wondering if you were planning on shipping out tomorrow? Your weather looks like it will be in the 70's, and our low here is in the mid to upper 50's. It's supposed to get pretty cold soon, so if you can get her out that would be great.

I know I came off as pretty annoyed last week, I've just been jipped a few times in the past, and am unfortunately a bit jaded from it. I apologize.

My number just in case is (***) ***-****, and again, the address is:

Kaiden Waldron-Francis
** W***** Rd
Lexington, MA 02421

Just drop me a line, so I know and can take Thursday off.

Thanks!
Kai

10/12/2011 12:47a
Hey Christopher, its Kai. Are you still shipping tomorrow?

10-17-2011 03:58 PM Panther (*visitor message via Pangea)
Hi Christopher,

I thought you were shipping last week? Can you please give me a call or send me a PM or something? This week I can be free for shipping.

Thanks.

10/18/2011 5:54p
I am really hoping you call me back. I have given you the benefit of the doubt once again and you ripped me off. I’m glad you can be mature.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
xPantherx
*Edit, I just noticed his full phone number, which I forgot to cross out. If a moderator wouldn't mind doing that, I'd appreciate it.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Foschi Exotic Serpents
Oh boy... Ok, this is one of those instances where it's just turned into petty bickering between the both of you. I honestly can't choose a side. You did put off a lot of shipping days that he offered and didn't reply in a timely fashion. On the other hand, he is obviously not prepared to ship in warmer weather by having cold packs and proper boxes and packing material on hand. Then you got heated, he got annoyed, etc, etc.

I'm not sure how i feel about his refusal to give you a refund because I do understand his frustration but I do believe if I were him, I would have just shipped the darn thing the moment you said fine ship it. Just to be done with it.

I don't know what to think of it. He needs to ship it or refund so the conclusion is NOT drawn that he's a bad guy. At this point I don't think he is. I hope he doesn't prove me wrong.

Have you notified him of this thread yet?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
DemmBalls
You paid for an animal that was never shipped/delivered and he is now ignoring you. I don't care how many days you declined for him to ship...It is YOUR animal. If he wanted a little extra money for the extended period in which he had to care for it...I could even relate to that. This one is a no brainer for me.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Focal
Bad guy written all over it.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Sushi Dragons
Weather and Wednesdays and Vacations, oh my!

To the seller- If you don't have a written TOS or have not discussed your terms regarding non-refundable deposits, refunds in general, etc then you have no case as to why you get to keep her money. If she no longer wants the gecko, you are pretty much stuck. I would issue the refund and move on.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
Brandon Roesler
This issue is simple and can be fixed so easily It's not even funny... Has Christopher been made aware of this thread?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Chris Kennard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
Oh boy... Ok, this is one of those instances where it's just turned into petty bickering between the both of you. I honestly can't choose a side. You did put off a lot of shipping days that he offered and didn't reply in a timely fashion. On the other hand, he is obviously not prepared to ship in warmer weather by having cold packs and proper boxes and packing material on hand. Then you got heated, he got annoyed, etc, etc.

I'm not sure how i feel about his refusal to give you a refund because I do understand his frustration but I do believe if I were him, I would have just shipped the darn thing the moment you said fine ship it. Just to be done with it.

I don't know what to think of it. He needs to ship it or refund so the conclusion is NOT drawn that he's a bad guy. At this point I don't think he is. I hope he doesn't prove me wrong.

Have you notified him of this thread yet?
Did you just scan through the original post or did you actually read it? Looks to me like the OP got "heated" AFTER being "annoyed" and rightfully so. I saw no bickering. Just one person trying to get what was paid for, and another one blowing lots of hot air! Sticking up for a pal in a passive aggressive fashion perhaps? Nah. Who would do such a thing.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Jaybee
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPantherx View Post
and the last time he was on Pangea was 10/16/2011 (I do not have a screen shot, although a moderator from there may have access to this).

I also notified them of this thread.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Foschi Exotic Serpents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kennard View Post
Did you just scan through the original post or did you actually read it? Looks to me like the OP got "heated" AFTER being "annoyed" and rightfully so. I saw no bickering. Just one person trying to get what was paid for, and another one blowing lots of hot air! Sticking up for a pal in a passive aggressive fashion perhaps? Nah. Who would do such a thing.
I read the entire thing word for word. I do not know either of these two people and I have not done business with either of them. I'm glad the op apologized near the end and I don't think the seller should have begun ignoring her emails and texts but he had a point when he said she kept putting it off. She put off the shipping many more times then he did. I honestly think this situation is silly.

No her $$ is not a deposit. Yes she needs the animal or her $$ back but the back and forth between them was just silly from the beginning. In my opinion.

Too many excuses. A seller to afraid (or nor prepared enough) to ship in certain weather conditions, and a buyer who can not communicate in a timely manner or make time to receive a $300 animal..

Not a good combination..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!