Scaleless Snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
Art Klass
Scaleless Snakes

I was thumbing through an issue of Reptiles magazine, Oct. 05, and I came across an article about a Northern Water Snake that was scaleless. According to the article the condition is termed "merolepid" and is the result of a simple recessive gene.

The snake looks leathery. It looks like it would feel like a crested gecko, which I think is one of the softest things known to mankind.

The article went on to say that the snake had a hard time shedding when younger. It required assistance, but eventually grew to be able to shed on its own.

It's strange and unique looking. I recently saw a scaleless snake for sale on KS to the tune of $25,000.00. I don't know about all that. Any of you ever have any "hands on" with one of these guys?

Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Art Klass
Here's a link to the scaleless gopher snake for $25,000.00.

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=6&de=326792

Old 04-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
WebSlave
Many years ago while at Dr. Bechtel's place, I saw and handled a few that he had. If I remember correctly, they were Texas rat snakes. Very odd feeling.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Skunky
I just saw a thread on scaleless ball pythons, termed Derma balls..fascinating looking snake.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Jake The Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky
I just saw a thread on scaleless ball pythons, termed Derma balls..fascinating looking snake.
They are breeding it now. I am against it. The snake was missing one of the key things to its suvival, its heat pits.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Art Klass
Quote:
They are breeding it now. I am against it. The snake was missing one of the key things to its suvival, its heat pits.
I don't know if breeding it is a good idea or not. I guess it does not really matter one way or another to me. As far as it not having heat pits, I think they should do just fine. You don't really need heat pits when your food is dangled in front of your face with tongs.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
Skunky
I think I also saw somewhere that it's for sale as a het..yet the genetics are unproved!

Didnt know about the missing heat pits! Somethings should just be left alone. Seems as though profit overrides ethics sometimes

Old 04-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
Rebel Dragons
Does anyone have a picture to post of one? I would be interested to see what they look like.

I tried the link posted above but it's no longer valid.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:19 AM   #10
Rebel Dragons
Thanks for the links, Skunky.

Interesting, to say the least.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!