How does the paradox gene work - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
phoenix-cry
How does the paradox gene work

From what I have been reading it seems that the paradox gene in albino sand boas is actually a recessive gene and not just a random event. Am I correct? Details seem fuzzy.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
~Just Curious~
It's definitely not just a random, unrepeatable event in KSBs.
I can't say with 100% certaintly - but I've always heard that paradox albino is simple recessive for them, most sites seems to say something along those lines as well, and I've seen hets for sale too.

It certainly makes things a lot less complicated that way~

Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
phoenix-cry
It was the fact that I kept seeing 'het for paradox' that made me wonder. Of course that means that they must not be true paradox, something else must be happening. In any case, very cool. I"m getting a female albino paradox tomorrow and a male albino 'possible het' for paradox. I was just making sure that they weren't blowing smoke at me with the het paradox thing.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
~Just Curious~
Yeah it's unlike paradoxes in other species, but I've actually seen hets prove out before. A friend of mine had a albino paradox male and a normal het female. He ended up getting a few albino paradoxes from that. There's also a few stories of similar pairings I've seen on forums, usually with anery genes mixed in to get paradox snows...
But with a possible het like that you really can't know. He might not have the gene at all which would be a bit of a let-down. =\

Also - and I'm definitely not 100% on this, I just saw a few folks say this when I was researching and thought it fit - I don't believe the paradox albino gene is compatible with the normal strain of albino. If so, then when you breed a standard albino to a paradox albino you'd just get normal looking animals het for both genes I believe.
I can't say for sure, you'll want to double check on this, but if that's true then it's a possibility that you wouldn't paradoxes or even just albinos at all from that pairing.

Sorry I can't say with certainty, but it's something to look into. Your best bet if you want paradoxes would be a 100% het or another visual.
Good luck! Also congrats on the new purchases~

Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
phoenix-cry
Very strange that the albino paradox and albino wouldn't be compatible, that would mean that the paradox gene is not a separate gene. how odd!

Well I'm getting a paradox albino and a normal albino and I'll find out for myself I guess. It will be interesting to see.

I'm mostly getting this pair not for any heavy duty breeding, but because I like these two particular snakes. I'll have pics tomorrow!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
~Just Curious~
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-cry View Post
Well I'm getting a paradox albino and a normal albino and I'll find out for myself I guess.
That's the way to go if you want to clear up any doubts!

Can't wait to see the pics! KSBs are always so fun, they're such neat lil' snakes no matter the morph! I just love seeing them~

Old 01-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
phoenix-cry
I think it is their little tiny eyes that I love so much...that and those awesome fat little bodies! I've been searching for just the right pair for over a year now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!