Emergency please help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
lizza25
Exclamation Emergency please help!

please helpMy albino leo is hurt!Ok well last night,around 11 i went to bed.Before I went to bed I checked on my gecko,well onray was GONE and the albinos tail was sitting in its cage,with the albino in his cave.I found my leo behind my dresser(second time I lost him) and the albino is hurt.So what do I do?it looks pretty pink and fleshy,is this normal?I already have him in leo"ICU".I have him in a large-long plastic terrauim.It is smaller than his normal encloser.In their I have his water and cave.I don't know how this happened?Could it be that the mealies did something to him?Any Info right now would really be appreciated.
I am so sad ,
elle

Old 10-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
aimee_s
I don't think the mealworms did anything to him, especially since he's behind your dresser. Maybe he dropped his tail while escaping? How did he get out of the cage? Is there a screen cover?

I'd say to let him be until he's calmed down from the escape. I've read of people putting different things on the tail, but since I haven't tried it, I don't know if I should recommend something I haven't tried Maybe someone who's had experience can reply to that part.

I'm just curious as to how he got out this 2nd time out of his cage? With my 1st leo, I kept a dish of mealworms in all night and took them out to gutload in the day with no problems... even the mealworms that escaped the dish didn't hurt her.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
ByRandom
If I read correctly you had two leo's in one enclosure? More than likely, if that is the case, they either got into a fight or something to that affect.

Mealworms can't cause a leopard gecko to drop it's tail. Put neosporin or polysporin on the tip of it's tail. Keep the enclosure CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, otherwise it may get infected. Just make sure that you keep an eye on it. You will need to feed it every day because it doesn't have it's fat reserve (tail) anymore.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
lizza25
No they are in seperate cages and the albino lost the tail and he jungle leo was behindv the dresser.the albino did not escape

Old 10-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Matt Haines
Might want to start looking for some small pinky mice to feed it. They work wonders for regenerating the tail.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
LadyGecko
Many Leos drop their tails and survive just fine
Are your Leos on paper towels?
Make sure that there is always plenty of fresh water in the viv and leave mealies in a dish 24/7 as was suggested
You need to make sure that you have a very secure lid on your viv-you are very fortunate to have found your escaped Leo twice now
I have bought a few Leos that have had dropped tails as young babies and I did not put anything on their tail stub and they did just fine
They have no reserve without a tail so keep him/her well fed
Good Luck with your Leos
Sandy

Old 10-15-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
LadyGecko
Properly gutloaded mealworms and crickets are more than sufficient for a growing Leo -tail or no tail
I personally do not feed pinkys to my Leos and they ae all nice and fat

Sandy

Old 10-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
montezuma
That 1st post was very confusing. Kinda reminds me of one of those movies that changes scenes so much and has too many actors to figure who and where and why!

To prevent escapes in the future, can you tell us what kind of set-ups you have? Kinda seems to me you have the top that wasnt shut all the way... this could allow a leo with a fat tail to get it's body beyond the top. Do I have this right or is the gecko that escaped still with it's tail????

Old 10-16-2005, 02:52 PM   #9
lizza25
yeah I know it was confusing lol.Well I have 2 lizards one albino one jungle morph and on friday the jungel morph escaped and the albino lost his tail but the albino never escaped

Old 10-16-2005, 02:54 PM   #10
lizza25
I have a glass incloser with a screen top
that is the encloser.The substrate is paper now

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!