feeding problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-14-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
Apep
feeding problem

ok i have this columbian red tail and he wont eat. i have a seperate feeding cage where i put him in and i thaw out the rat and put it in with him. and he will just stay away from it. temps are 82 and the hot spot is 94. everything is like it should be. any ideas?

Old 12-14-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
Art Klass
If he is a breeding size male then he may have other things on his mind rather than feeding. How big is he?

Old 12-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Apep
i'd say hes about 5ft. hes never breed before.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
ericfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep
i'd say hes about 5ft. hes never breed before.
sounds like he could be in the mood for love
do you have any bigger females around ,if so he could be picking up her scent
if not they do tend to eat less when the winter settles in
good luck with him
try boosting the heat in the cage a touch and give some vitamin boosted appetite enhanser in his water
Eric

Old 12-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #5
garweft
Has he eaten for you before, or is this a new animal?

Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Apep
i've had him for about 2 years now. he normally eats great but that was when he was eating live rats then he stoped liking live then i started with frozen/thawed and he was eating fine with those. but everyonce in a while he wont eat for a time. the only female snake i have is about 9 months old

Old 12-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Instead of removing him from his viv, place some newsprint IN his viv, and lay the rat on that, and just leave him be for a while. Overnight would be best when all is dark and quiet. See if that don't help.

What are you measuring your temps with? Strips and dials aren't the bestest things to use. A few degrees off, can mean appetite problems if it's off to the cool side.

Rick

Old 12-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
Apep
i could try keeping him in but i would have to take the others out. i use a tempgun from Tempgun.com

Old 12-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
Schlyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep
i could try keeping him in but i would have to take the others out.
That could be the problem right there. If he is housed with other snakes it may be a simple stress issue.

Edit: What is he being housed with?

Old 12-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlyne
That could be the problem right there. If he is housed with other snakes it may be a simple stress issue.

Edit: What is he being housed with?
Yup. Not all snakes do well with others so close by. A few exceptions, but mostly they are solitary. That may have some contribution to your problem.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!