Thinking about giving roaches a try. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
BalloonzForU
Thinking about giving roaches a try.

Ssshhhh don't tell hubby.

I'm thinking of giving roaches a try as a feeder. What kinds are available for feeding leos, and where to buy?

Old 02-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
ByRandom
I currently have lobster roaches and plan to get some discoids. I purchased mine from individual. You can find them from most Major feeder suppliers. I know LLL has some available.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Xelda
All of the major suppliers like Big Apple and LLL have them drop shipped from the same person.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Sauradon
I have discoids, there are also many different roaches. Lobsters are good if you aren't worried about climbers. LLL reptile ships USPS. They have excellent customer service but you never have any idea when anything is going to show up. If I remeber right olivia has some good specials going on right now, you might wanna check her site out. She also has a lot of useful information on roach care.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
ZenReptiles
NYWorms has roaches as well. I think the prices are a little steep, but they multiply so fast, it doesn't matter too much.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
BalloonzForU
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenReptiles
NYWorms has roaches as well. I think the prices are a little steep, but they multiply so fast, it doesn't matter too much.

Multiply fast? How fast?

Old 02-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
techgirl
i use discoids and i love them. i get mine thru wormman. they ship priority usps. never had a problem with them. discoids are sexually mature at about 4-5 months of age.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #8
Shelley1063
I will second what Sauradon mentioned, check out Olivia's site, she has lots of information on various roaches. Her site was what convinced me to give roaches a try. I decided on Discoids because they don't climb, jump or fly, which for me was EXTREMELY important LOL I started my colony about 3 1/2 months ago & it's going great, I should have enough to start feeding off the babies/nymphs in another month or two. I started with 55 roaches and now wish I had gotten 100, I would have been able to start feeding them off by now. I did buy another 24 adults at the reptile show last weekend LOL

Oh when someone mentioned roaches multiplying fast, they were probably talking about the Lobster roaches. Discoids don't multiply nearly as fast, but I've heard people talking about their Lobsters multiplying too fast for them.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
hill4803
If the lobsters are set up right there is little chance of them getting out. I probably have close to 20,000 of them in several sterilite totes in my "roach closet". I also have the discoids. The discoids are good size for beardies or monitors. Lobsters are a good size for leos. The lobsters are very fast reproducers, so if you need to feed a lot of mouths, I would go with lobsters...cheap and plentiful. You may look into getting some of the turkistan roaches, they are a little more pricey but reproduce fast and are non-climbers. My feeder bill was over $100 a month, now I make $$ selling my extra feeders, can't beat that! I also would recommend Olivia (Xelda) for your purchase. I won't be letting any go until the spring at the Birmingham show.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
sipep
www.smokingroach.com its my site I offer discoids and free water crystals with all my orders. I have about the best prices you will find, and my shipping is only $2.50, others are like $8.00 don't let their $5.00 cheaper prices foul you. Pluss the free water crystals. Good luck finding roaches. If you are looking for other species besides discoids check out www.doubleds.org or www.bugchick.com don't buy from LLL or BigApple they just jack up the prices of other dealers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!