leopard gecko food - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #1
geckoguy
Question leopard gecko food

Hi i have 3 leopard geckos and they all seem to like mealworms more than crickets. They look at the crickets then they just look away. I have heard someplaces that you can not feed mealworms for a staple diet. I also feed mine wax worms. They are all getting fatter and my female i think is pregnant is eating a lot. The eggs are just yellow, no white. She has laid 2 cluthes so far. They dont seem developed enough. I like feeding mealworms more anyway because its easier. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
WizardLizards
Mealworms

We feed our leos just mealworms. We stopped doing crickets, just because I hate them and they stink. All of our leos are healthy and doing well.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
diablohogs
agreed. mealworms are awesome. they dont make noise, they dont hop around making it hard to grab to feed to your gecko, you can store them in your fridge, and you can buy them by the hundreds for less than 10 bucks (its like 8 something for the 500 ct. bucket at my local pet store).

as far as nutritional value...beats me but they gotta be better than crickets. besides i keep dust in thier food dish.

Old 06-22-2004, 05:30 PM   #4
WizardLizards
Mealworms

We order our mealworms online and get 2,000 for about $14.00. They are alot cheaper than crickets that's for sure.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2004, 07:12 PM   #5
geckoguy
thanks for the help

Old 06-22-2004, 07:16 PM   #6
riverjop
consider yourself lucky!...very lucky!!!

(shut up out there!) dam those crickets!

Old 06-22-2004, 07:46 PM   #7
StinaUIUC
Chad...crickets are actually a little better nutritionally than mealies...there is less fat in crickets and mealies have harder to digest exoskeletons...however crickets have a much higher risk of carrying parasites and disease. From what I've seen lots of breeders use mealies exclusively with no problems...however crickets are slightly healthier assuming you get them from a reputable source that you can trust not to carry any parasites or diseases.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:55 PM   #8
diablohogs
Quote:
crickets are actually a little better nutritionally than mealies...there is less fat in crickets and mealies have harder to digest exoskeletons
are you refering to the small meal worms or super/king meal worms? i only feed mine the little guys.

really we should all be feeding our leos scorpions if you want to get technical... i mean thats what they eat in the wild.but than agian they probably eat any bug that crosses there path in the wild.

has anyone tryed feeding a scorpion to there leos? ive given Dumptruck (a huge normal i used to have) a praying mantis before (poor poor praying mantis, he never had a chance) but im scared to offer them a scorpion in fear that that instinct or possible immunity to scorpion venom (if there is one to speak of)has been lost in captive breeding.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:12 PM   #9
StinaUIUC
mealworms and superworms...I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding either...I've just looked at feeder nutrition charts and crickets are a little better for them. I use crickets...but only because they're the only thing my leos will eat...I would use mealies or supers otherwise.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:15 PM   #10
diablohogs
i switched my geckos from crickets to mealies but it took a while for some to accept the change. now all of them happily eat them.

can you scan this chart or provide it somehow so i can see it. im curious.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!