Rescued Iguana help!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Daenerys
Rescued Iguana help!!!

So I was getting ready to leave work and a coworker comes in with a little iguana in a cardboard box and says she just found it in the Petsmart parking lot. I offered to take it home since I am the only one with reptile experience.

The little guy appears outwardly to be malnourished and dehydrated so we gave him a nice long soak in the tub and a bowl of fresh veggies. He possibly has either some sort of skin condition or the previous owner just didn't give him proper humidity and he had shed problems. I am posting pictures to see what you guys think and if maybe some more experienced eye picks up on some other problem we aren't seeing.

If anyone has suggestions on how to get this little guy back on his feet and healthy again please don't hesitate to speak up!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
millipede
The iguana appears to have a skin infection and if the following doesn't help him improve, vet intervention is likely the only thing that will help, in the form of anti-biotics.

First, I recommend ordering reptaid asap http://www.reptaid.com/. Follow the directions on it carefully. Feed the iguana only fresh fruits and veggies, I would use dandelion, kabocha squash, optunia, collard greens, hibiscus, and alfalfa as the 'base' greens, and I would add fruits high in Vitamin C, E, and fiber. I would only give raspberries, figs, cactus fruit, kiwi, cranberries, goiji berries, papaya, mango, and anything else that adds immune system boosting vitamins without doing too much harm in the phosphorus department. As secondary veggies, chicory, red peppers, parsnip, green beans, snap peas, okra, and endive.
Variety is extremely important, try to rotate vegetables and fruits and have available 5 different kinds per salad. I would put -small- amounts of chopped garlic in the salad every other day for a week.
Soak the food in water. It would be a good idea to add pedialyte to the salad until he stops showing signs of dehydration. Add a few drops (about 5) of goldenseal and 'lemon balm' (Melissa Officinalis) that can be found at a grocery store like the vitamin shoppe. Also look for bee pollen. Another important thing, if you can, get him outside to bask in the sun as -often as possible-. Keep stress levels low.
Rub the black parts of his skin with neosporin daily. The iguana is trying to fight off the infection and every effort needs to be made to give him immune system support. His leg muscles would need to plump back up. If he doesn't have a good appetite after you do the above, it's important he sees a vet.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Daenerys
Well I already took him to the vet and they gave him antibiotics that he is taking every other day. I've been giving him regular soaks, both in plain bathwater and in water-diluted betadine and I put polysporin on his skin daily. He's been getting a variety of fresh veggies and fruit since day one, mainly collards and yellow squash, always dusted with calcium powder and once a week dusted with multivitamin. I was planning on having the vet do a fecal but he has not pooped when we're there (and doesn't poop during soaking) to catch it so we had no fresh poop to take them but as soon as we do they'll be doing a fecal on him. They only saw skin problems during his physical so hopefully thats all it is. He is improving a lot already.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
millipede
Great, thank you for helping him

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!