Lost What Little Faith I had in People's Intelligence - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
SPJ
Lost What Little Faith I had in People's Intelligence

I was giving a presentation this past Saturday on exotics and as usual all of the adults stayed in the back by the door while the kids came up and interacted with the animals and asked great questions.
One adult asked a question that almost made me lose it. I wanted to strangle him.
I was holding a children's python and explaining that not all pythons are large and they can make great pets. One adult asked if they "really attack children". I was like what? He wanted to know if it was called a children's python because it was known to attack and kill kids and if this was just a different name for a burmese python.
I really wanted to slap this guy right there.
How can you be so stupid to think that because it's called a children's python that means it eats kids? WTH! The snake I brought was an adult male and was only about 3 feet long.
We really need to start culling the stupid people in society.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
That's what makes what you're doing even more important....educating them.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
hhmoore
George Carlin said:
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
hhmoore
You should have asked for a volunteer from the audience; then pointed out that since your snake was a fully grown adult, the children obviously wouldn't fit.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
SPJ
The kids were great. The adults SUCKED.
One kid even asked if I fed f/t because live feeders could injure the snake if left in the cage. Very good question. Unfortunately not many of the adults believed a mouse/rat could hurt/kill a snake or that snakes will eat f/t and don't "have to kill their prey".
I would say about 90% of the presentation went well and a few ignorant people ruined the last 10% of it.
I was even asked by one guy "how come rattlesnakes rattles drop off when you kill them?". I asked him to clarify. He said he killed 4 rattlesnakes in his yard over the summer and each time he disposed of the body, the rattle must have fallen off the tail because he couldn't see it. Um. Dummy. You didn't kill a rattlesnake. You killed a harmless snake out of ignorance. That's why you couldn't see a rattle on the dead body.
Timber rattlers are so rare around here that they have protected status.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
salottimc
I swear the human race is working against evolution. Let's remove obvious warnings from products. That would help. Imagine how much better society would be if the guy that ate the airplane peanuts without opening the bag died. Perhaps I'm being too cynical.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
AGoodwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by salottimc View Post
I swear the human race is working against evolution. Let's remove obvious warnings from products. That would help. Imagine how much better society would be if the guy that ate the airplane peanuts without opening the bag died. Perhaps I'm being too cynical.
I totally agree. How stupid have we become that we need the box the pizza comes in to tell us that when it comes out of the OVEN that is set at 350 degrees, it will be hot. Or a warning to tell us that the HOT cocoa that we ordered will be hot. Or how about this, the silica gell packets that are packaged with various items, like SHOES (i.e. non food items) have to say "not for human consumption". Really? I thought it was a little baggie of gummies that I got free with my sneakers. WTF?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
hhmoore
My cell phone came with a warning not to put it in the microwave......

Old 01-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Mistyck
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
George Carlin said:
Good ol' George Carlin...How I miss him and his cynicism. Deeply sad that he is gone!

Now as for adults asking stupid questions, you can thank their parents for raising them as stupid kids to grow up to stupid adults. You don't just become stupid; that just means their parents did a really crappy job raising them for them to be that stupid. UGH...Chlorine really needs to be implemented in some people's gene pools...

Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
kylerimb
don't always it's the parents that make the kids 'stupid'....sometimes they are just born that way.

probably 5 days of 7 i have a 'wtf were you thinking' conversation with my kids. if they're a burden to society as adults...i did the best i could with them. they're my kids, and i love them to death, but it's not always the parents.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!