Bad Guy Thomas "Rockabirdie Reptiles" - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
Peligro22
One more comment on the USPS thing. I ship overnight USPS packages at least 10 times a month (no living creatures though). As long as you drop them off at the PO before 5PM, they are guaranteed to be there by noon the next day. They'll even tell you that when you're mailing off the package.

I've mailed to many different states, cities, and zip codes and the results have always been the same. Never had any issues with USPS Express Mail (which is what they call overnight)

Of course, now that I said something, I've probably jinxed myself.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
Kristi23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligro22 View Post
One more comment on the USPS thing. I ship overnight USPS packages at least 10 times a month (no living creatures though). As long as you drop them off at the PO before 5PM, they are guaranteed to be there by noon the next day. They'll even tell you that when you're mailing off the package.

I've mailed to many different states, cities, and zip codes and the results have always been the same. Never had any issues with USPS Express Mail (which is what they call overnight)

Of course, now that I said something, I've probably jinxed myself.
I live in one of those places where it's always two days. Many rural areas would be that way, too.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
Peligro22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi23 View Post
I live in one of those places where it's always two days. Many rural areas would be that way, too.
I can totally understand that. Places that don't always have mail service every day or are just too far out so it takes longer to get there. Makes total sense.

I've mailed USPS Express Mail to Alaska and it's gotten there by noon the day after I mailed it. However, I have no idea how remote this person's address was so it could have been near a major metropolitan area.

Also, I don't ship living creatures (just stuff for my business) so I don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe they slack off cause they are afraid of what's in the box?? Who knows?

Old 06-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
Kristi23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligro22 View Post
I can totally understand that. Places that don't always have mail service every day or are just too far out so it takes longer to get there. Makes total sense.

I've mailed USPS Express Mail to Alaska and it's gotten there by noon the day after I mailed it. However, I have no idea how remote this person's address was so it could have been near a major metropolitan area.

Also, I don't ship living creatures (just stuff for my business) so I don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe they slack off cause they are afraid of what's in the box?? Who knows?
I luckily have a good relationship with our postmaster and she told me about the two day thing. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known. Not only do I not receive the next day, but it's not next day if I ship anything express overnight.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
Hoyo12
Lightbulb UPDATE 6/18/2013

First off, lets get over the topic of shipping. It has little to do with the situation, as I have had multiple experiences where an animal (aquatic and reptilian) has been shipped 2nd day USPS with good results. Just the communication of the type of shipping was the issue.

Thomas is trying his best to fix the situation, which I am very glad to see and hear. After sending me a picture of the new males, he had contacted me about sending the replacement male at a later date. Reason being, it had only been up until recently that he had seen the male eat and drink. The plan is to keep it at Thomas's location in order to help the Calote acclimate to captivity, before shipping him out yet again with little in his system and adding more stress to the lizard. I appreciated the honesty that he hadn't noticed any feeding or drinking until now, which is why I have more respect for him.
At this point, all that can be done is to wait - I don't have to spend any more cash for the lizard, and he is being taken care of before he even reaches my location (6/14/13 through 6/24/13). Of course the final test is what condition the lizard arrives in, but I do have a higher hope now than I ever did about this situation.
Crap happens, but as long as you are willing to fix the problem and make things better, I don't see why it should be as big of a deal.

Also, the female is starting to color up, and is doing very well in her new home.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
hhmoore
Mr Munoz,
Suncoast Herptetological is absolutely correct.
From USPS.com
Quote:
Live animal shipments using Express Mail® should expect a 2- to 3-day transport, so try shipping early in the week and avoiding holiday weeks with limited acceptance days and times. Express Mail postage will not be refunded unless the delivery or attempted delivery is more than 3 days after the day of mailing.
(https://www.usps.com/send/can-you-mail-it.htm)

I believe that stipulation came about as part of a safe handling amendment, and included temperatures, arrival/departure times, etc. It happened several years ago, and I don't recall all the details; but I do know that Express mail doesn't guarantee next day delivery for live animal shipments.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
hhmoore
I agree that the seller taking the time to acclimate the new imports before shipping you a replacement is the best idea; even if it was an afterthought. Too many people dealing with imports skip that step, wanting to move them out as quickly as possible.

Hope to see an update showing resolution when everything is done.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #28
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyo12 View Post
First off, lets get over the topic of shipping. It has little to do with the situation, as I have had multiple experiences where an animal (aquatic and reptilian) has been shipped 2nd day USPS with good results.
Your comment up above in bold is akin to saying "I have had multiple experiences playing Russian Roulette with good results". Just because an animal endures that kind of abuse to save the sender a few bucks and doesn't die does not equate to "good results"

And Brady...if you stick around this forum for a while you will learn that you do not get to pick and choose which points in a post are up for comment or discussion. Once you post a thread, the discussion is 100% open and generally takes on a life of it's own. I am happy that the seller is going to make this right for you. That does not excuse his complete lack of concern for the well being of his animals

Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #29
Rockabirdie
How do you draw a conclusion that I do not care or have any regard for my animals. This is one situation, and I am making it right. You sound like a very ignorant person, to be so judgemental. You don't know me. Maybe you should ask questions, and investigate before you make assumptions.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #30
Suncoast Herpetological
Thomas, you are correct. I don't know you personally. However, the subject of shipping animals USPS has been discussed on this and pretty much every other reptile forum repeatedly for well over a decade. You just happen to be the most recent recipient of the majority opinion that the only possible justification for using USPS to ship animals is a willingness to sacrifice a measure of the animal's chance to arrive safely in a timely manner to save money on shipping. If you have been around for a while, you are well aware of this sentiment.

I have been breeding and selling animals in this industry since 1994 and take a lot of pride in the fact that in well over 3.000 shipments I have had a total of three DOA's. I am neither ignorant nor judgmental. I, like most breeders, simply put the animal's welfare first

I have nothing personal against you...it's a general disdain for anyone who feels the risk o the animal is worth the $10 or $15 bucks you save by using an inferior carrier. If you find that statement ignorant or judgmental, I can live with that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!