Changes addressing the ad bumping problem.. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #21
TheFragginDragon
As long as we still have the ability to edit our ads (to update what's been sold, for example), seems as fair and equitable a solution as possible.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #22
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
As long as we still have the ability to edit our ads (to update what's been sold, for example), seems as fair and equitable a solution as possible.
All registered members can edit their ads in the classifieds sections for up to 180 days following it's original posting.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #23
chamgirl99471
I have to agree with Debbie... This is a wonderful way to proceed with things... It helps to support the site and makes things run smoother. I just hope that those that don't contribute don't start just making new ads when theirs ends up on the back pages. I also agree with Harald.. If someone is wanting a specific animal.. they will find it! Thanks Rich for trying to make this a better site

Old 10-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #24
JudyC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Man, I've got to stop these long posts. I'm sure most people stop before they get a third of the way through it, and I'm just wasting my time after that....
LOL....I read the whole thing and I don't even post ads!

Seriously though, it seems as graceful a solution as anyone could have come up with.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #25
KelliH
Excellent solution.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #26
hhmoore
Rich, since it is already happening, would you care to comment on some of the other "bumps" that have been brought up during this process? (Referring specifically to posts not in direct response to questions, serving only to bring the ad back up...such as "Still available", "Taking offers", "Growing like weeds", "Get her before it's too cold to ship", etc)

Also, just to put this one out before it comes up, what about price changes? If an ad is amended to lower the price, would a corresponding post saying Now just $XXX be considered a bump (since the information is already in the ad)?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #27
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Rich, since it is already happening, would you care to comment on some of the other "bumps" that have been brought up during this process? (Referring specifically to posts not in direct response to questions, serving only to bring the ad back up...such as "Still available", "Taking offers", "Growing like weeds", "Get her before it's too cold to ship", etc)

Also, just to put this one out before it comes up, what about price changes? If an ad is amended to lower the price, would a corresponding post saying Now just $XXX be considered a bump (since the information is already in the ad)?
Unless the code modification is not working as it is supposed to, the thread originator cannot reply to their ad until after someone else posts on it. If that is the case, please let me know.

With that being said, any reply that is NOT responding to a question and is strictly there to bump an ad outside of the Classified Control Panel is a "BUMP" and is an infraction. A BUMP, does not have to specifically say "BUMP".

Mods can apply warnings while the dust is settling and people learn of this change, but shortly they will incur infractions that can accumulate into a temporary ban. I hope no one believes the mods are too dumb to realize what is going on.

As I mentioned earlier, if this change doesn't get the desired results and problems still persist, I will simply shut down ALL replies to the classified ads. It really doesn't matter to me either way. I'm just trying to make this work for you all as best I can, but I'm not going to spend the rest of my life dealing with hair splitting and clever workarounds people will come up with.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #28
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Unless the code modification is not working as it is supposed to, the thread originator cannot reply to their ad until after someone else posts on it. If that is the case, please let me know.

With that being said, any reply that is NOT responding to a question and is strictly there to bump an ad outside of the Classified Control Panel is a "BUMP" and is an infraction. A BUMP, does not have to specifically say "BUMP".

Mods can apply warnings while the dust is settling and people learn of this change, but shortly they will incur infractions that can accumulate into a temporary ban. I hope no one believes the mods are too dumb to realize what is going on.

As I mentioned earlier, if this change doesn't get the desired results and problems still persist, I will simply shut down ALL replies to the classified ads. It really doesn't matter to me either way. I'm just trying to make this work for you all as best I can, but I'm not going to spend the rest of my life dealing with hair splitting and clever workarounds people will come up with.
I just tried to bump one of my ads that had not been replied to and got the following message

Quote:
Please do not bump your classifieds by adding replies! If you need to open/close it, you can do this in classifieds control panel. Bumping and highlighting ads is also available there for contributing members. If you need to update your classified, you can edit original post and enter your new information there. You will also be able to add a (single) reply to your own thread if another member asks a question there but you are not allowed to add replies when you are already the last poster.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #29
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop Reptiles View Post
I just tried to bump one of my ads that had not been replied to and got the following message
I'm working with my programmer now to see if a 20 kazillion volt charge through the keyboard can be implemented for the third bumping attempt. Sort of, three strikes and you're REALLY out..............

Old 10-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #30
chamgirl99471
LOL Rich

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!