OT: Anyone want Gmail? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #11
FreakOfNature66
Send Me One

Hye send me an invite I wouldnt mind trying out that. I have heard a little about it but not too much. FreakOfNature660@yahoo.com

Old 03-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #12
hhmoore
I'll give it try - knbdogs@yahoo.com

Old 06-15-2005, 10:25 PM   #13
Herpcam
Anyone Else?

There's been an awful lot of negativity on this forum lately. Here's something we all like - FREE stuff. Most people know what Gmail is, but if not, check this out.

If you're interested, I still have a seemingly endless supply of invites in my gmail account. Simply post your email address on here or PM me with it and I'll send the invite as soon as I get it.

Now, someone try to start an argument over this one

Old 06-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #14
dragonflyreptiles
sure send me one too dragonflyreptile@aol.com, thanks Rob!

Old 06-15-2005, 11:00 PM   #15
WiteLeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpcam
OK...YOU ARE OFF TOPIC! STOP POSTING THIS #@%& ON A LEOPARD GECKO FORUM!

lol, jk can I try? ARiceBug@charter.net

Sounds cool enough.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:24 PM   #16
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpcam
Okay. I find it rather rude that you would offer this opportunity only here on the leopard gecko discussion forum. Seems a little biased to me. Maybe you could have posted it on the computers forum or somewhere not species-specific. Geez...

lol... just kidding I'd definitely be interested in checking it out, especially since hotmail has been such a jerk lately. (maybe that's why I'm a little edgy..)

yukondenali AT hotmail.com

Old 06-15-2005, 11:51 PM   #17
diablohogs
so Gmail is a free service where they keep track of all the emails ever composed or sent to a Gmail account? why would you want to make your private emails available to the public? what about account confirmation emails and password recovery emails?

Old 06-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #18
o0 RYAN 0o
If he runs out of invites, you can get them on eBay for a few cents (.01-.20). That's where I got mine. Just search "gmail." I never use it, but it is pretty neat.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:00 AM   #19
guy from osu
Sounds interesting.. If you still have invites, please send one on over to my university email - kennedy.365@osu.edu Maybe Gmail can replace the mediocracy of my .edu account.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:05 AM   #20
Herpcam
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablohogs
so Gmail is a free service where they keep track of all the emails ever composed or sent to a Gmail account? why would you want to make your private emails available to the public? what about account confirmation emails and password recovery emails?
Not quite. Yes it's free, just like Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, MyOwnEmail, etc. Yes, there is not a need for you to delete any emails, because you have 2GB storage and you can archive, assign keywords, and search (with Google, the best search engine around) your email. However, you can delete them if you wish. As you may (or may not) know, you can never guarantee your email is completely deleted, no matter which service you use, assuming you use a web-based email service. There is always a chance (or likelihood) that there is a record on a server somewhere, so don't use your real-name account to do illegal stuff, or cheat on your significant other, etc. Law enforcement can always get into computer and internet records if they have probable cause and a search warrant.

Gmail does scan your email for keywords, though, which is how they target for keyword ads, as you find on Google search results on the right side. This is a machine doing this, so don't worry about Geeky VonSchmidt over at google reading your email about incontinence and hand-coding Depends ads onto your screen. This is a subject of much discussion across the net, because many people say its an invasion of privacy. Well, if you're using a web-based email client, and actually sending unencrypted email over the net in general, you can't be too concerned with privacy in the first place.

As far as your email being available to the public - this couldn't be farther from the truth. The google search capabilities are in my email account only, not something anyone can go into at www.google.com and check out my email.

Bottom line for me is it's a lot less cluttered with banner ads than my Hotmail account, provides more storage than I'll probably ever need, and has a great interface that is being constantly improved.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!