Inquiry~ Serpent's Den/Steve Markevich - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-12-2003, 07:22 PM   #11
Johnny K
Thumbs up Steve is a good guy!

I have known Steve for quite a while, and have bought my fair share of animals from him. He is a fair honest person that represents him and his animals 100% His shop is clean and professionaly run. I wouldt hesitate buying anything from him.

John Kielbasa

Old 02-12-2003, 07:30 PM   #12
Python Dreams
Jude,
The thread you were talking about was started by Stephen and was basically 100% his fault. How can you say someone was unfairly dumped on when they ship out animals that need paperwork (read the whole thread, it clears up that matter) through U.S.P.S.? How can someone be unfairly dumped on for including a customer in a crime (no paperwork) and shipping the snake out illegally. He says he learned and thats all good, but when is that not a serious red flag? I really dont care what is going on with the lawyers, and I hope they can work it out without them, but this is a serious matter.
I think someone has alot of nerve to committ these crimes and then bad mouth the customer for it. I understand defending yourself and letting people know that you learned from your mistake, but to keep restarting threads? Again, its weird to me to see what people find acceptable.
Thanks, Tom Baker

Old 02-12-2003, 07:49 PM   #13
SERPENTS DEN
Quote:
Originally posted by Python Dreams
Jude,
The thread you were talking about was started by Stephen and was basically 100% his fault. How can you say someone was unfairly dumped on when they ship out animals that need paperwork (read the whole thread, it clears up that matter) through U.S.P.S.? How can someone be unfairly dumped on for including a customer in a crime (no paperwork) and shipping the snake out illegally. He says he learned and thats all good, but when is that not a serious red flag? I really dont care what is going on with the lawyers, and I hope they can work it out without them, but this is a serious matter.
I think someone has alot of nerve to committ these crimes and then bad mouth the customer for it. I understand defending yourself and letting people know that you learned from your mistake, but to keep restarting threads? Again, its weird to me to see what people find acceptable.
Thanks, Tom Baker
Tom,

Perhaps you need to read this thread over cause it really has nothing to do with the thread that you pointed out to Jude.
The thread I originally started was an INQUIRY so perhaps you should read that thread over again too. It's also weird to me see what some people find acceptable.

Old 02-12-2003, 07:56 PM   #14
Python Dreams
Steve,
This was an inquiry regarding you. I posted information from the other thread because she was inquiring about you to recieve information. Jude then stated in this thread that she felt you were unfairly dumped on in the previous thread. I pointed out why I felt that you were not unfairly dumped on. Since all of this happened in this thread it is relevant here.
Thanks, Tom Baker

Old 02-13-2003, 01:04 AM   #15
MiLadyDragonn
My turn...

~Ok, I went back over the "thread" in question...repetitive and boring as it got to be...again. I have concluded these things.

1. Steve made an error in judgement and business. He owned it {which is more than many others would do} and, I daresay, best chances are he will not be making such an faux pas again.

2. I truly believe that "people who live in glass houses, etc..." We ALL have made our mistakes. One "red flag" as opposed to the number of good press from other people puts the odds in Steve's favor. I have, also, gotten a few private emails from other buyers with nothing but good words about Serpent's Den

3. I just cannot bring myself to put any real credence to Greg Bowman's rantings. It appears just a tad coincidental that he has had so many bad, yet strangely similar, incidents with his purchases in such a short time. And yet, all we have to go by is his word(s). No proof, no name of the vet, no pictures...just his word against 3 other professional businessmen. BUT, he is taking everyone to court...including Kingsnake.

4. His "word" has been proven to step outside the boundaries of truth a number of times. For instance, the most blatant being when he states he does not sell snakes or have a camera:
Quote:
I have not sold a single animal so that is not an issue.
and yet, he does.
Quote:
I take a photo of every snake I ship and as one comes out of the shipping box. If the snake is sick; they can take it to a vet but the vets report MUST have the ID mark listed including color and location. Ive never had a buyer report a sick snake but Ive found this keeps everyone honest, especially when I pick the color, photo the snake, and keep a file on it. This prevents the ol switcheroo.
Quote:
. It was for a client who had a male and I had already taken his money
{How much trouble is it to get your hands on a camera?}

Quote:
Nowhere will you find me bashing anyone for deals gone bad, or sick animals previous to this consorted campaign by Steve MARKEVICH and NEIL GUBITZ.
His "disclaimer" to Steve starts off by badmouthing a "guy in TAMPA BAY who owns a "pit" (and he calls it amusing.)

6. Many,many references to unlicensed administration of prescription medications, both topically and by injection, as well as medical treatments such as debriding a wound. No mention of doing it in conjunction with a vet's instruction or under a vet's supervision. Having been in the administrative medical field for over 30 years, this bothers me tremendously. I have the training and yet I would not do these things without proper supervision and/or instruction. I asked for the name and number of this virtual vet, but got no response.

~I asked if anyone had any information about Steve. I got quite a few good words and only one bad one that is difficult to believe, at best. I take very few things at face value with no proof to support it.

~I will be sure to let this forum know how the sale went, including the condition of the snakes, the method of transport, the communications involved and if proper packaging was used. I am not some dumb, young kid and usually have very good instincts when it comes to people I deal with. {A result of many years as a counselor, group facilitator and mediator}

~So, we shall see.

Old 02-13-2003, 01:37 AM   #16
Python Dreams
The little mistake he made involved his customer in a crime. Leaving no legal way for the animals to be shipped back. What would you do in that situation Jude? How has he owned it? Sorry!! My bad!! Wont do it again... Does that releave all parties involved of any wrong doing? Does that mean that no crime has taken place?
As far as Gregory Bowman this has nothing to do with him. He handled this in his own way and hell have to either face the consequences of his public display, or he has a legal battle planned. Either way everyone deals with stuff in their own way, and it usually is not how I would deal with it.
Im sure that Steve is a good guy, and its obvious that he has alot of happy customers. But in this instance he screwed up as major as he possibly could have. Involved his customer in a crime. That is up to you to decide what you want to do with the info.
Just one question that should probably be in its own thread. I only purchase Ball Pythons so it really is not an issue for me, but I would like to see what the general consensus would be on the BOI.
What is the correct legal way to resolve a seller sending you an animal without paperwork? How should this situation be handled?
Thanks, Tom Baker

Old 02-13-2003, 02:29 AM   #17
MiLadyDragonn
The battle of Good & Evil rages on...

Quote:
The little mistake he made involved his customer in a crime. Leaving no legal way for the animals to be shipped back. What would you do in that situation Jude? How has he owned it? Sorry!! My bad!! Wont do it again... Does that releave all parties involved of any wrong doing? Does that mean that no crime has taken place
~Whether Steve was fully aware of the seriousness of his actions or not, we will probably never know for sure. He screwed up. What are we supposed to do? Blacklist him for one mistake? Can anyone prove he KNEW it was illegal? Do we believe what Greg says Steve said? or what Greg says Steve did?

~"Owning" it means admitting it...Steve admitted his error. You want him to turn himself in? What would that prove? Short of that, there is little can be done now. Besides, I still doubt that the snakes needed to be returned. The jury is still out on that one. Again, it is still "he said, he said".
~There are no saints here, myself included. We've all messed up to some degree or another at some time or another. I believe in 2nd chances...but that is my way. If you're looking for a lynchin' posse, count me out. A lesson was learned and that is a good thing. If it happened again...then all bets are off!
Quote:
But in this instance he screwed up as major as he possibly could have. Involved his customer in a crime.
~Granted, ignorance is no excuse, but it can be a reason for us to cut a little slack. First offense type thing. Slander and Libel are crimes, as well. Fraud is as "major" as anything, just as much or more. There is a great deal of those crimes floating around this forum, yet I see very few people stepping up and taking the responsibility for these actions when called on them. They either lie, twist the facts, hide or attempt to place the blame elsewhere.

~Any mistake can be interpreted as purposeful or accidental... depending on who is doing the interpretation. But a proven liar is a liar...no other word for it. I would opt for the person who may have made a mistake out of ignorance. I give very wide berth to a proven dishonest person.

~And then you toss in the "sue-happy" mode for good measure. Thanks, but no thanks, I'll go by my gut feeling and take a chance on Steve.

~If it were me and I had made a shipping error like that, I would find some legal way to resolve it...that is, provided the person on the other end is on the up and up. That doesn't appear to be the
situation in this case.

Old 02-13-2003, 07:35 AM   #18
Python Dreams
Jude,
You can believe what you want to believe. If you think I am out on a lynching party you are very wrong. This has absolutely nothing to do with wether Steve knew what he was doing was illegal. There is no question that Steve sent the snake without paperwork. That is illegal. He involved his customer in a crime. If the snakes dont have paperwork, they do need to be returned. Owning to it does not just mean that the you admit to your mistake, but solving it also. This is not he said she said. Sri Lankan pythons need paperwork. There is none. Despite information to the opposite, Steve still asked Gregory to ship them back. Is that honest? There is some proof of this from emails in that thread. Must all be lies.
Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone deserves a second chance. I believe that. I'm sure I will make some mistakes also. I just dont see where he took any measures to solve this. You can twist the story around also and avoid the straight facts if you like. Gregory is very sue happy and I dont agree with what he has done. Still does not change what Steve involved him in. At what point is the seller responsible for his actions? Other than saying sorry. Im not part of a lynch party, and since Im the only one that feels that this situation is questionable, I doubt a party could be a term at all. I think a post "How about the offices of" was more of jumping on a lynch party then adding anything useful to a thread, but every one likes to focus on the positive when dealing with someone and ignore other aspects. Maybe that is why I have interest in this case because I've sold Gregory a couple thousand in pythons and had no problem whatsoever. He shouldve handled it differently, but what does he now do with the snakes? They have no paperwork.
Thanks, Tom Baker

Old 02-13-2003, 08:01 AM   #19
Python Dreams
Jude,
Am I Evil? Hahhaha. Let me clarify one thing. I really believe that you will get what you purhased and it will be honestly represented. I think that Steve is going above and beyond here to gain your trust. In no way do I doubt the cleanliness or quality of his animals. He has alot of happy customers to prove it.
I just pointed out the thread because of this inquiry and have argued it because it seemed like he was being cleared of his wrong doing due to the way Gregory handled himself.

Just a question...
What is the correct legal way to resolve a seller sending you an animal without paperwork? How should this situation be handled? What shold the buyer do? What should the seller do?
Thanks, Tom Baker

Old 02-13-2003, 11:43 AM   #20
Charles Escoffery
Get over it...how long can you guys go on and on about the same subject? You made your point in the last thread, let it go! Go clean some cages or something.

I have done business with Steve and he is a great guy with excellent animals and an immacualte shop. He was here LONG before most of the flash in the pants internet retailers and will be around long after. He's been in the business for YEARS, and we all know if he was a dishonest guy he wouldn't of survived. It's a small community and if you screw somebody it will have direct effect on your sales ultimately putting you out of business.

Keep up the good work Steve

CE

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
serpents den, steve markevich