Wanted Seeking Blue Spotted Salamander(s) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Amphibians

Notices

Old 06-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
ns_dragons
Seeking Blue Spotted Salamander(s)

Title says it all guys! I'm looking for blue spotted salamander(s) I've had zero luck finding any for sale that are in stock
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
Herpin Man
They are rarely offered for sale, and when they are, they are wild caught. They occur naturally throughout Michigan- are they not legal to collect?

Old 06-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
ns_dragons
They're legal to collect but I've been searching for days with zero luck starting to make me think they're just not in my area
  Contact User Check User
Old 07-08-2019, 12:46 AM   #4
cgrabarc
How long have you been searching? Right now isn't the best time of year. They breed really early, right after the snow melts and that's when I've seen them in large numbers. Outside of breeding season, I think I've only seen them once or twice.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
Jgorsuch
If they're legal to collect in your area, then (depending on the weather) January through March is probably your best bet. Warm (40F-55F) rainy nights out at the vernal pools should turn up a few specimens.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
ns_dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrabarc View Post
How long have you been searching? Right now isn't the best time of year. They breed really early, right after the snow melts and that's when I've seen them in large numbers. Outside of breeding season, I think I've only seen them once or twice.
That might be the problem, I've been searching around 3 months now (I started around mid may) sounds like I'll just have to wait a bit thanks for the help!
  Contact User Check User
Old 07-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
ns_dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgorsuch View Post
If they're legal to collect in your area, then (depending on the weather) January through March is probably your best bet. Warm (40F-55F) rainy nights out at the vernal pools should turn up a few specimens.
Thanks for the help! I'll take note of that and wait a bit to search some more, sounds like I was just looking at the wrong time of year
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #8
ns_dragons
Still searching! Would like to start a breeding effort with these guys so if anyone has any they can ship (legally) I'm more than interested, so far I have what I believe to be a male but I'd like to get a nice breeding group of these guys going
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #9
cgrabarc
If I find the time I'll do some searching around here. From what I gather, they're quite common in this area, just very secretive.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #10
Jgorsuch
Your best bet is to wait until the vernal pool season gets started (January-March depending on where you live). Go out to the pools at night during or just after a heavy rain, and you don't even have to look for them. Blue spotted, Jeffersons, Spotted, Tiger, unisexual hybrids (depending on location of course) all come out in the hundreds to breed. Road cruising is a good idea if you don't know where pools are, as salamanders frequently cross roads on rainy nights in fragmented habitats.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
amphibian, bluespotted, salamander