my new baby - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
ColleenT
my new baby

here is mom Haley and her first ever baby, U. Hatched today at 5:05 EST

Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
LadyGecko
Awwwwwwww........Mom is beautiful and so is the baby
Congrats!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
ColleenT
thank you.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
That is a beautiful crested, and those hatching pics are cool.
If it weren't for my current aversion toward insectivores, I'd definitely put together a group of those.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
ColleenT
you do not need to fed them insects. you can feed them Repashy Formula Powdered meal replacement. then you don't even have to use vitamins. it's all in there and balanced properly. you add water to the powder and feed in a dish. no insects required.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
ColleenT
here is the clutchmate- a pinstripe( mostly).

Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenT
you do not need to fed them insects. you can feed them Repashy Formula Powdered meal replacement. then you don't even have to use vitamins. it's all in there and balanced properly. you add water to the powder and feed in a dish. no insects required.
Perhaps you can feed them a powdered diet from a can and nothing else, but don't assume that I will. I'm a little too old school to trust anything from a can as the sole food source for a reptile.
It's irrelevant anyway, I raise bugs, it's more the daily maintenance I am interested in avoiding at this point.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
ColleenT
it is not from a can, it comes in an airtight bag. it makes my life easier feeding 20 geckos. but to each their own.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
it is not from a can, it comes in an airtight bag. it makes my life easier feeding 20 geckos. but to each their own.

I also agree with clay, Feeding one food solely does not sound like too great of an idea, and while i understand some/most do it, i do not believe that it should ever be the only thing an animal eats.

Is there a list of ingredients for this crested gecko diet? is it TRULY the SOLE thing you can feed geckos ( i personally do not think that is so, and would like to see it myself before i believe anyones word ) when i visit other sites to find this out, i see varying information that the diet should not be used alone, and that it can. ( which is to believe? )
Do geckos need the amino acids in crickets? what about other such nutrients that i highly doubt that the diet carries, from various other edible insects a gecko would get if he or she had a varied diet?

heres a good link that talks about different things about the nutrition of a cricket ( if cared for properly) as a feeder insect. Pretty interesting stuff and makes me want to know much much more about this diet before i come to any conclusions.
http://carolinapetsupply.com/crickets.htm

Besides.... if i go out on a limb here, it cant be too interesting for the geckos that way... one would think, in their own lizardy ways, they would enjoy the hunt for food every now and then. But thats just me of course.. since most lizards and snakes do not think or feel as we do. but i still feel that it triggers different things in the brain that would be beneficial to the animal. But im no Expert by any means. and this is all personal thought.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Can, bag, the container is not the point, besides, it's packaged both ways. The point is it is a commercially manufactured diet. The convenience of the keeper should not be the first consideration when choosing a husbandry approach.
There are commercial diets for many species, Mazuri tortoise diet, bearded dragon pellets, floating sticks for aquatic turtles. None of these however are adequate as a sole food source.
The study of reptile nutrition is still in it's infancy, and I will not trust any commercially manufactured diet to be satisfactory as a total replacement to natural foods. Anyone who believes that with a few short years playing with a mixture of ingredients, that they can equal all the fine points of dietary needs that have developed over eons of time, truly thinks a lot of themselves.

These diets are another in a long line of "reptile products" designed to generate a profit from the massive growth of the herp hobby. What's most interesting to me is the disparity between the people who chose to embrace these new laboratory creations and those who do not.
The vast majority of the people who have been keeping herps since before the advent of all these commercial diets treat them as a potential supplementary food, or something to be used as an occasional convenience when they are short on time. The people who flock to the cans and air tight bags from the store shelves completely convinced that they can keep a lizard just as easy as a dog, are almost always the relative newcomers to the hobby for who these products have always been available.

No one can completely replicate the natural diet of a reptile in the wild, but I will trust my ability and experience to be able to come closer to it than some powdered instant food I buy for the sake of convenience.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!