Anybody breed Tokay's - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #21
cliff_f
I dont think it was un civil. I am sorry if we go someone that dosnt know what he is talking about and we are having to set him strait so we dont have more miss informed people out there because of him.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #22
monkeywrench133
Also, profanity is not allowed on this forum, so please keep the language clean. Consider this your "fair warning".

Old 09-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #23
bullfrog100000
Didn't mean to start an arguement. Just wanted a discussion and some sources.
I have seen the video on Kingsnake that interviewed Kevin from NERD. He is picking them up, etc and they do not bite him, or even consider it. He mentions the same ideas as BD... don't grab at the Tokay, it's about respect, etc. and they can be tame. There are of course variable degrees of tame... from not biting, to actually liking interacting with a human.
I'm happy to see that there is a chance of getting a tame tokay. We sort of would like some "whatever" tokays to actually live in the house and eat bugs too... but we do want a "pet" tokay also.
Cliff... we did see you ad for tokays on another site btw.
Nice to know there are some people who breed them. Other than $700 NERD ones. LOL.
For those that breed them and/or interact with their tokays... what type of housing, husbandry? And before anyone jumps in and tells me to buy a book, etc... care has been researched (plus I've owned one), but also many times there are other options than in a book, or breeders have some "secrets" that work well.
Thanks BD & Cliff for your insight. Oh... don't cuss... not worth getting a stupid warning, everyone knows that Seamus guy is an a**.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #24
cliff_f
I have actually wrote a small care sheet on tokays, http://flockreptiles.com/tokay_Care_information.html. I wrote it with the way I take care of my tokays. Some books might say to do stuff a litte diff than I do, but that is what works for me. If you have anyother questions about them just let me know.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #25
BDReptiles
OK this will be long because I dont have a website to post anything on but I will try to keep it short. I use the 24x18x24 Exo Terra cages for my breeding pair you could keep a 1.2 trio in this. . you could keep a 1.2 trio in the 18x18x24 I just use the big ones to give them lots of room. You can use 29gal aquariums or pretty much any TALL aquarium for them. For babys anything from critter keepers to 5-10 gal tanks work. I use a mix of peat moss, orchid bark, and sphagnum moss this works great for me. I have some live plants in there, some drift wood, cork bark and some PVC tubes for hiding. My female lays her eggs on the back of the cork bark so it works for me. My hot stop is around 90-95 the day time low side is like 80-85 with a night time drop into the high 70s. They seem to spend most of the morning basking in my tanks. . ones on the side and the other is in the pvc tube under the heat. I feed 2-3 times a week for my adults and at least 3 times a week for my babys. I feed my adult pair about 20-30 2 times a week. . some times they get fed 3 times. I know alot of people would not feed only 2 times a week and if my animals started losing any weight at all I would not do it. However they are very healthy and breed like crazy for me. If you feed them to much they seem to get lazy and not want to breed. As for what I feed, my babys get pretty much just crickets. My adults get pretty much crickets too but I will feed them wax worms, silk worms, jumbo worms (tomato worms but I wouldnt trust getting them out of your garden), and pinki mice. They will pretty much eat anything you put in front of them. I dust every to every other feeding with herpitive and meneral I think they are. . . the blue label and the pink label. I will also put a bowl of calcium in the tank and the female gets calcium from that as well. I leave my eggs in the cage and just let them incubate in there. I dont think I'm leavin anything big out. . As with Cliff any questions ask.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #26
monkeywrench133
Do you guys put waterbowls in the cages for the Tokays? I have heard that misting daily is enough, that they will lick the water off the side of the cage. What do you think about that?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:33 PM   #27
cliff_f
Thats what i do is mist once a day. I keep pop bottle lids in with mine and once in a while I will fill them up, but for the most part all I do is mist every night. I mist and feed at night because that is when they are becoming active.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #28
BDReptiles
I mist every day as well. I used to put a water bowl in there but they didnt seem to use it much. Oh yeah forgot to add that I will give my tokays baby food once in a while too. . .

Old 09-09-2007, 10:55 PM   #29
cliff_f
They like yogurt to. I will feed my adults and hatchlings yogurt.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!