Inbreeding taking a toll on albinos? - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-25-2004, 01:01 AM   #51
The BoidSmith
Another one.

Quote:
MALE ALBINO BOA FOR NEXT SEASON
FL
Posted by CENTRAL FLORIDA REPTILE BREEDERS (Contact Me!) on January 24, 2004 at 23:06:31

02 3-4 ft Kahl Male with one bad eye. He is in excellent condition a strong feeder and has retained excellent color. He will be a great breeder for hets or outcross projects. $2000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43824611.jpg (36.0 KB, 98 views)

Old 02-08-2004, 08:31 PM   #52
BryonsBoas
Didn't read all of the posts

But is there a way to for someone to sterilize these "deformed" animals so they can't breed and can be kept as merely pets instead of being killed to be sold as cobra food?I'm working on a few projects and have been asked why i buy the amount of normals that i do for these projects. The answer to that question was sitting on an individuals table as a snake with kinks in its spine that hampered movement. Fresh blood is always helpful not just in snakes but people as well . Look at some of the "mountain populations" from years ago. They were all related and were showing signs of breeding depression.

Another problem is breeders/dealers that sell animals as a pair from the same clutch or litter and doesn't represent them as being related.

Bryon Adzic

There was an article in Reptiles magazine of a normal burm whose eyes were so small they were hidden under its scales. Inbreeding was figured as the problem.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:58 PM   #53
The BoidSmith
Re: Didn't read all of the posts

Quote:
But is there a way to for someone to sterilize these "deformed" animals so they can't breed and can be kept as merely pets instead of being killed to be sold as cobra food?
Even if there was, no one is willing to do it as long as they can ask $1,000 for a breedable animal. Who is going to pay even half that money for a one-eyed, sterile individual?

Quote:
I'm working on a few projects and have been asked why i buy the amount of normals that i do for these projects.
Well thought!

Quote:
Another problem is breeders/dealers that sell animals as a pair from the same clutch or litter and doesn't represent them as being related.
Yes, you can see that often. Even when the vision impaired animal out of a clutch is sold cheaper to an individual or a broker for re-sale, there are some among that clutch that possibly carry the defect in their genes.

Regards.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:48 PM   #54
BryonsBoas
Thats a shame

That anyone would use a dollar figure to represent the kind of person they are. I personally have mostly normals in my collection with a few hets to eventually prove out but my collection will still have a good number of normals for genetic diversity. It'll take longer to produce what i want to produce but my animals won't be inbred into stupidity.

With the right breeding plan any project could produce abnormal animals but to buy siblings or related animals knowingly for the purpose of breeding together for a quicker financial gain doesn't say much about the quality of that person.

Even in my collection i have plans of rotating out adults , some will be sold or traded to make room for fresh blood for the sole purpose of NOT producing substandard animals. As a parent of a special needs child (granted different species) the financial and physical hardships of his needs taught me alot about what not to do. An animal may not need hospitalization once a month but i would imagine the work and money involved to keep one that is abnormal would amount to quite a bit over time.

Can't see putting my reputation on the line over a quick buck.
Sorry for rambling or if i got off subject .

Bryon Adzic

Old 02-08-2004, 11:08 PM   #55
BryonsBoas
Out of curiosity

I know that Jeff Ronne uses Kahl strain albinos for his breeding stock . Even with the outcrossing he's done wouldn't both be genetically compatable and would the outbreeding that Jeff has done minimize the problem if the Ronne albinos were bred to Kahl albinos.I know Pete Kahl sent an albino to Brian Sharp but didn't Brian use a WC albino to start his strain?

Bryon Adzic

Read the rest of the threads finally

Old 02-08-2004, 11:34 PM   #56
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I know Pete Kahl sent an albino to Brian Sharp but didn't Brian use a WC albino to start his strain?
Both strains are not genetically compatible. Both albinos that initiated each strain were WC individuals. In my opinion the difference resides in that the Sharp strain is still new in the market, and thus there are very little animals available. From what we see in the ads even finding females hetero for Sharp is difficult. It will be some time before massive inbreeding takes place with the Sharp strain.

Regards.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:42 AM   #57
Seamus Haley
Please keep in mind that there is nothing inherently wrong with the action of inbreeding herps.

Inbreeding can't create problems unto itself, it simply strengthens conditions which were already present in the gene pool. IF the eye problems have a genetic cause, linked or not- it was introduced to the gene pool at some point early enough in the development of the project to have spread rapidly to many collections and breeding groups. Chances are good that some snake early on, either the albino itself OR one of the other animals it was introduced to, or the first couple generations of offspring were introduced to while the project was proving out, was carrying something which had the potential to cause these deformities.

Inbreeding isn't the problem, the lack of proper culling is the problem. People are unwilling to lose out on the profit that there is to be made by selling deformed boas... same goes for buying one at a discount to add the elbino genes to their own breeding project. The responsible thing to do when situations like this arise would be to euthanize all the neonates in any group which produces even a single neonate with the deformity and to separate the parents, removing them permanently from the breeding population. If this was done, and if the cause is genetic (seems likely these days), then the problem would be virtually eliminated withina few years... Albino boa production would plummet like a rock though, forcing prices up to the level they were a couple years ago as the avaliable pool of animals dwindles.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:44 AM   #58
Seamus Haley
I'm gonna pretend that "elbino genes" was deliberate... yeah... that's it, it was a joke... Not a typo, a joke...

Old 02-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #59
The BoidSmith
Yes, I agree.

Quote:
Please keep in mind that there is nothing inherently wrong with the action of inbreeding herps.
In fact most of the purebred traits in other domestic species were selected by close inbreeding.

[/quote]Inbreeding can't create problems unto itself, it simply strengthens conditions which were already present in the gene pool.[/quote]

Good point. It does that both for desirable as well as undesirable traits.

Quote:
Chances are good that some snake early on, either the albino itself OR one of the other animals it was introduced to, or the first couple generations of offspring were introduced to while the project was proving out, was carrying something which had the potential to cause these deformities.
I agree. And the fact is that it was maybe done unknowingly. The problem (at least from my perspective) is that know it's been done on putpose. Someone buys an animal with an eye problem and pays half the price of a flawless individual (that could very well be carrier of the trait also). He then breeds it and perpetuates or further compounds the problem. If he gets 2-3 animals with eye defects they will be sold at a discounted price while the "normals" will go for the ongoing market price. The problem lies when I see a breeder selling an adult animal with the defect. In all honesty I don't know if he used this animal in his breeding programs or not. Are his snakes carriers?

[QUOTEInbreeding isn't the problem, the lack of proper culling is the problem.[/quote]

Agreed. But if only one defect shows-up in a litter, was it at random? Should he euthanize the whole group? What about the sire and the dam?

Quote:
... Albino boa production would plummet like a rock though, forcing prices up to the level they were a couple years ago as the avaliable pool of animals dwindles.
Yes I agree, but the way this is going is far worse. I would rather see the prices soar because of smaller numbers of healthy animals are being produced than the downward spiral we are seeing right now.

That's why I like the incomplete dominance. More than likely a breeder will start with one animal and breed it to "fresh" normal blood to produce 50% offspring for that trait.

Regards.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:22 PM   #60
BryonsBoas
Curiosity question

Jeff Ronne used / uses Kahl strain albino for his projects . Has anyone heard of any defective animals coming from him or do you think it might have been someone using substandard animals to produce Kahl albinos and went from there?

Unfortunately , if some people were given the choice of a cheaper albino with a " slight defect" the breeder glosses over they'll jump on it in a heartbeat . So how do you regulate individuals using defective animals other than educating as many as you can not to buy/use those animals?

Bryon Adzic

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!