Need help,eggs not hatching! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
WillArt
Need help,eggs not hatching!

Ok,this is kind of a new one for me.I have heard of ball python eggs not hatching for up to 90 days,usually when you let the female do the incubating because of the lower temps.Here is my situation.I have mom and pop of the off spring that are extremely healthy, great weights and eat well.She lays eggs that weighed about 96 grams a peice that were smooth,viable and perfect in every way.They were supposed to hatch September 29,being the 60 day mark.I used a Repti pro 5000,incubator for this clutch at 90% humidity and 86 degrees.They have not even dimpled yet and are as perfect as the day she laid them.However we candeled them last night and every one is very well developed,in fact we can see the pattern through the egg and caught one yawning.All were moving also,but there bodies still seemed translucent.I am worried about deformities if they are in there too long.My question is has anyone experienced this before?What do I do?Will they be ok?

I am starting to come to the realization that I may have failed these eggs.I knew I should of stuck with 89 degrees and now it is biting me in the ass.Words cant even describe what I feel right now.Worked so hard on this and now failure,live and learn I guess.I am just unsure if I want to pip them yet as they are not that full in the egg.They are well developed and moving but,not the size they should be to pip if that makes sense.I almost want to wait a week,but I would rather go with what others experience tells me.The shells are softer, but not leathery.I will try to get some pics tonight of the inside of egg and egg itself, and may give you guys a better idea.Then you will know for sure if there is any hope for these,because I am lost right now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Bob O'Brien
I would cut them, just a slice in the top of the egg. And next time go with 89.

Good luck

Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
WillArt
Ok,so I posted this question on another forum and everyone told me the same thing also.So I did just cut them and I am glad I listened and not waited a week.No smell and I have well developed snakes and to my surprise - Movement!I put them back in the incubator and now waiting to see if they come out on their own.I appreciate the advice I was given greatly!Not only will they probably make it but I think I have twins in one egg,dont quote me on that it just seemed more crowded than the others.So as it appears they will be fine - hopefully.I will update when I know for sure.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Bob O'Brien
Cool Im glad they are doing good.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
WillArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O'Brien View Post
Cool Im glad they are doing good.
Thanks,I hope all goes well - nice pied on you page by the way!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
SIGNATURE DESIGN EXOTICS
hope all is well! good luck

Old 10-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
hhmoore
Just out of curiosity, did you run a thermometer in the incubator? While I don't know anybody that bought the Reptipro, I know people that used the ThinkGeek version...and they said the temps were off a bit & fluctuated. Lower temps would explain a longer incubation, but I wouldn't expect 90 days at 86 degrees.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
WillArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you run a thermometer in the incubator? While I don't know anybody that bought the Reptipro, I know people that used the ThinkGeek version...and they said the temps were off a bit & fluctuated. Lower temps would explain a longer incubation, but I wouldn't expect 90 days at 86 degrees.
I did not run a thermometer in it.I actually did put a digi in it with a hydrometer also because even adding water,etc it did not keep humidity as well as it seemed it would.They are still in the eggs I had three pop their head out yesterday and all appeared well.They did go back in the egg so I am still waiting for them to come out on their own.What would be the longest time of them hanging out in the egg? I know 2 - 4 days is pretty standard but what if it goes past that point and they are still in their?I am still learning the BP thing,here.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
WillArt
Excuse me, I said I did not run thermometer but did -

Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
hhmoore
Was the 86 degrees the set temp, or read temp (or both). Did you see much fluctuation?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!