Allergies to actual mealworms or bedding? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
RedQuake
Allergies to actual mealworms or bedding?

I remember someone once said they were allergic to their mealworms, thus got rid of all of their leos. I'm finding that each time i come in to use this computer with the mealworms right next to it i get all stuffed up and start sneezing. Does anyone remember what that person was actually allergic to? the bedding or the mealworms themselves?

I refuse to give up my leos.....or aft's and cresteds so .........lol

I can move the mealworms to a different location away from where i sit so its not really a huge deal, but if it is because of the bedding i just thought maybe i can change it.

Thanks.
Red

Old 06-03-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
Monte
that would be me . . .

. . . And I think I was actually allergic to the fece's in the bedding. I was doing fine - until I was sifting them out of the substrate - and a cloud of the "dust" got into my face. Immediately, my eyes swelled shut, nose plugged solid and I sarted wheezing. Since that time, a ton of allergies have triggered - very weird. I guess I'm a wuss.

I didn't want to go back to crix - so I sold most of them. I have about 6 left - and just a few mealies now (less than 1000) and I'm doing just great. But if I make a mistake and accidently rub my eye without washing my hand - LOOK OUT.

On the positive side - I have a small, but growing rhac collection started.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #3
StinaUIUC
I think some are allergic to the bedding itself, and some like monte....maybe just try a different bedding and see if that helps?

Old 06-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
RedQuake
Thats aweful, i'm so sorry to hear that. I have one of those three drawer bin units on wheels that house my mealworms. Its sitting beside the desk and the drawers are closed but i tell ya, my nose is going nuts. I prefer mealworms over crickets any day cause they are easy to breed and gutload and dont' smell.........but i'm going to have to move them cause this is just to nose racking hehehe.
Only my nose is affected.......i don't have the severity you did, thankfully. But i might consider wearing a mask now when i go to get them out. My baby aft's are both eating mealworms now which has made me very happy, i don't want to go back to crickets.....YUCK!!! LOL

Thanks for letting me know......i'll be cleaning out the mealworms bins alot more frequently. Maybe that will help too

Red

Oh and in reply to StinaUIUC i'll try that for sure. Maybe it is the bedding. Thanks

Old 06-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
ChuUtena
Hey Red! Good to see you here! How are those fatties doing for you? Just wanted to say hey, because I'm not allerigic to mealworm stuff...thank god.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:58 PM   #6
JBrune
My allergies are like Monte...

I have allergies to the proteins in the urine and feces of certain species. Rabbit is the worst for me but mealworms is a very close second. I work in a tox lab with animals so this is where mine started. Monte have you tried a respirator? I use a half mask with hepa filters at work. I don't do this at home yet I just take my mealworm bin outside whenever I need to collect them. I also leave egg create in the bin and a lot of worms like to climb onto the egg carton. Then I just shake them into my feeding container, waalaa no dust.
Joyce

Old 06-03-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
Monte
Thanks Joyce for the recommendation, alas . . . .

. . . this is my hobby. When I have to don scuba gear to enjoy my hobby, it's no longer enjoyable.

I'm putting my remaining leos in couple of pretty 20 gal displays. My rhacs are in beautiful screen cages, where I can really observe them every day. Life is good - my hobby is a hobby.

And - gasp - if they lay too many eggs, I might just leave them in the tank and see how they do. I'm not worrying about hatch rates, etc. I just want to enjoy them.

But - thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-03-2004, 07:40 PM   #8
RedQuake
Thanks. Its nice to see everyone again....i was starting to really miss everyone. Then again i haven't been able to be online much with a computer that got sick (virus) and had to be formatted LOL

As for the aft's..........OMG they are doing great. Tala the stripe is growing a bit faster than Star but both have grown so much since i got them. I'm also happy to anounce that i've got two aft males coming.......will be picking them up at the June 13th Toronto Reptile Expo. I'm soooooooooooooo excited. I might also be bringing home some more leos, if not more afts.

My life is my geckos hehehe.

I can't wait to start my breeding projects next season. All of my female leos are huge. It'll be quite the year for me

Thanks again
Red

Old 06-03-2004, 08:01 PM   #9
geckoguy_ottawa
Hi Red,
Haven't seen you in a long time Probabbly cause I'm spending less time in the other forum. This one is way better anyways People here are very informative and helpful. It's nice to see a fellow Canuck here on fauna. Look forward to seeing you more often. Well gotta go, hockey game is starting

Take care,
Jason Lavictoire

Old 06-03-2004, 08:39 PM   #10
GeckoTracks
Red, I am allergic to the mealworms too actually. I use to use dry baby cereal, as the main substrate for the mealworms, I just couldn't stop sneezing and it got as bad as Monte lol I was going blind (not literally) every time I changed the bedding I'd have to leave the room after 10 mins. I switched to using old-fashioned Quaker oats and I haven't had a problem since. lol I really didn't want to go back to using mainly crickets, I still use crickets just not as much. Hope this helps a little.

Jbrune don't get me started on rabbits I sneeze just thinking about them lol. I miss my rabbit *sigh* at least she's in a better place lol and no not a snakes belly.

Kimberly

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!