skin hydration? treating bad skin - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
AlamoAgama
skin hydration? treating bad skin

i have this sailfin dragon, i havent had him to long. when i got him he was in ok condition, plump, but had darker then normal skin on his tail and legs.

as time goes on its turning into what seems to be thick stuck shed, and im noticing the possibility of chapping around his back legs.

humidity is great. i have him in one of my melamine enclosures, like all the rest of my guys (individually and separated of course)

husbendry is spot on. nice tropical warm/hot and humid!!! so humid that after i mist theirs moisture on the glass . the way i like it! (but not overly humid)

i've encounter this issue before when i received imported weberi sail fins from LLL reptile in very poor condition but theirs was advanced. chapped skin and open sores at the base of the hind legs and sores on the tail. the sailfin in question is also imported, though its been held for a while before i received it (no its not one of my phili sail fins) and its just the beginning of this type of stuck shed/chapping.

so heres the question

what type of products can i use to help hydrate the skin and reverse chapping. a,d&e ointment(petrolium base) vitimin E oil (olive oil base) or some sort of good lotion ,tea tree oil (ZYLAFEN Medicated Skin Therapy) or some sort of specialty reptile cream.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
defcon222
I used virgin olive oil and water with my frilled to kill mites and it seemed to keep the skin hydrated for a while. I also used this on my uros to get some shed off. I've used the zilla shed ease before too and it worked ok.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
SamanthaJane13
I'd hit your local health food shop and buy some pure Aloe Vera Gel.

It not only moisturizes the stuck shed and allows it to be removed, it also moisturizes the underlying skin so stuck shed doesn't reoccur.

I use it on my cresties when they have shedding problems.

And the Aloe doesn't leave an oily film like olive oil would. It's just absorbed.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
AlamoAgama
i have been using ZYLAFEN Medicated Skin Therapy, mixed with neosporin. so basically tea tree oil mixed with petrolium to help it stay on the skin and form a protective layer.

by the time it started taken effect, the riges on his tail, or his sail fin on his tail, had already started cracking, so he had deep skin wounds. but not to deep . the combination has been doing wonders and sores are already gone if not almost completely disapeared.

the ZYLAFEN Medicated Skin Therapy will help fight fungal issues. so if it was either a uvb issue, humidity isssue (though i doubt it) or getting to hot under basking. its already reversing.

-jessica

Old 12-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
AlamoAgama
his tail is completely healed. it shed some time early last week. it looks completely normal now..

the combination worked... great stuff!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!