Ebola epidemic - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 08-06-2014, 03:59 AM   #41
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Seriously - sometime less is more! Some very interesting info there though.

If you really want to freak yourself out, research the Chikungunya virus - similar to, but worse than Dengue, and hosted by the same mosquitoes, it is spreading through the Caribbean and has recently been found in American Samoa ....

Key facts

Chikungunya is a viral disease transmitted to humans by infected mosquitoes. It causes fever and severe joint pain. Other symptoms include muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and rash.
The disease shares some clinical signs with dengue, and can be misdiagnosed in areas where dengue is common.
There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.
The proximity of mosquito breeding sites to human habitation is a significant risk factor for chikungunya.
Since 2004, chikungunya fever has reached epidemic proportions, with considerable morbidity and suffering.
The disease occurs in Africa, Asia and the Indian subcontinent. In recent decades mosquito vectors of chikungunya have spread to Europe and the Americas. In 2007, disease transmission was reported for the first time in a localized outbreak in north-eastern Italy.
Oh, I've already read about it. There have been a number of cases in Florida already. At least one was acquired locally and the victim was not infected while abroad. Sure is going to be a *fun* time living in a world where there are no longer any physical barriers stopping all diseases known to man to cover the entire planet. Especially when they all become drug resistant.....

Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #42
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Seriously - sometime less is more! Some very interesting info there though.

If you really want to freak yourself out, research the Chikungunya virus - similar to, but worse than Dengue, and hosted by the same mosquitoes, it is spreading through the Caribbean and has recently been found in American Samoa ....

Key facts

Chikungunya is a viral disease transmitted to humans by infected mosquitoes. It causes fever and severe joint pain. Other symptoms include muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and rash.
The disease shares some clinical signs with dengue, and can be misdiagnosed in areas where dengue is common.
There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.
The proximity of mosquito breeding sites to human habitation is a significant risk factor for chikungunya.
Since 2004, chikungunya fever has reached epidemic proportions, with considerable morbidity and suffering.
The disease occurs in Africa, Asia and the Indian subcontinent. In recent decades mosquito vectors of chikungunya have spread to Europe and the Americas. In 2007, disease transmission was reported for the first time in a localized outbreak in north-eastern Italy.
This is the first year EVER that I have used mosquito repellent in the Caribbean. I hate the stuff, and it creeps me out a bit. Chikungunya is spread by diurnal mosquitoes; nobody even thinks about them. At least, among otherwise healthy people, it's not deadly if the patient remains well-hydrated, and it's not spread from human to human. Patients can come back to the US without fear of infecting fellow travelers. I've had heard the joint pain is absolutely crippling.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #43
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
This is the first year EVER that I have used mosquito repellent in the Caribbean. I hate the stuff, and it creeps me out a bit. Chikungunya is spread by diurnal mosquitoes; nobody even thinks about them. At least, among otherwise healthy people, it's not deadly if the patient remains well-hydrated, and it's not spread from human to human. Patients can come back to the US without fear of infecting fellow travelers. I've had heard the joint pain is absolutely crippling.
It may not be contagious from one person to another, but if a mosquito HERE bites someone bringing the infection from somewhere else, then what? Obviously it is established and readily resides in mosquitoes in the Caribbean, which certainly implicates that this same scenario can happen HERE as well. Quite likely, it already HAS.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #44
rcarichter
That is true. In fact, just last week a person here in St. Louis tested positive. The CDC believes it to be communicable for up to 2-3 months after acute symptoms, so I suppose if a person can avoid further bites for that long, they are theoretically safe to unleash back into public. This is fairly new in this part of the world, so I'm not necessarily confident that we have all the facts. Their recommended defense: Don't get bitten.

As far as Ebola, I worry about the hundreds (or more) Americans that have flown back home from West Africa, exposed but not yet showing symptoms. Just about everyone uses the airplane toilet on a flight that long, and sweats on the seats and blankets. Scary.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #45
Lucille
Quote:
Just about everyone uses the airplane toilet on a flight that long, and sweats on the seats and blankets. Scary.
I'm willing to bet that even if it is airline policy (I don't know), the people who clean the planes and dispose of the trash after the flight don't use strict blood/body fluid precautions.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #46
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I'm willing to bet that even if it is airline policy (I don't know), the people who clean the planes and dispose of the trash after the flight don't use strict blood/body fluid precautions.
Unless it is marked as bio-hazard, no particular precautions are taken. Think about this, blankets and pillows are washed about once a week. For first class, they carry extra bags, so after they refold the used blankets, they put them in nice clean bags. Always bring your own!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #47
rcarichter
Here's another one: One single fresh water truck, and usually one person, flushes out the sewage pipes, and fills the fresh water reservoirs. Valves are next to each other on the plane, so probably not too much sanitizing going on there. (Obviously, someone different empties the toilet tanks.)

Old 08-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #48
rcarichter
I've got it! Let's get the lionfish to eat the mosquitoes!

Old 08-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #49
Lucille
Quote:
I've got it! Let's get the lionfish to eat the mosquitoes!
It might be a good idea to be sure that the viral particles in the skeeters are destroyed by being digested, otherwise the virus may go from mosquitoes (and there are apparently sprays that can knock down the mosquito population if the towns/cities spring for the cost) to the lion fish which are not easily destroyed.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #50
sschind
Quote:
Dengue fever is also called breakbone fever because of the incredible joint pain.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!