Mealworms???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
beardielvr
Mealworms????

I just called a local pet shop to ask them how much their mealworms are. They told me, than asked what animal I had. I told them and they told me that they don't recommend feeding mealworms to Leopards because they have seen on more than one occasion where the mealworm has eaten out of a Leopard. Everything that I have read has said to keep mealworms available to them at all times. I am now REALLY nervous about mealworms. Any suggestions??

Old 08-31-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
beakgeek
Call the pet store and ask them to clean off their plexiglass bellybutton since they can't see out of it with their head up their @ss.

Here is a quote from the Dr. Gecko website:

Is it true that mealworms can eat their way out of a gecko's stomach?
No. This is just a myth and we have never been presented any scientific data yet to prove this has actually happened. Your gecko's stomach has digestive juices which will actually kill the mealworm quite quickly - if the teeth don't do it first!

Ask them to document this behavior since it appears there is no data to prove that it happens.

Gutload your mealworms and feed them to your geckos. After you hear the crunching sound they make you'll have no more questions.

Regards,

Terry

Old 08-31-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
beardielvr
Thank you so much! When I hear the crunching I didn't think anything can survive that. I feel a lot better!

Old 08-31-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
riverjop
I wouldn't worry about it!.....but talk to kelli!

Old 08-31-2004, 05:46 PM   #5
Ron Mertz
I've seen this....

I've only been here a few months, and this is my first time replying, so forgive me if I do anything wrong.
It's been about 7 years since I've owned anything, but for about 5 years prior to that, I worked at Fred's Pet Center in Spring Valley NY. I took care of many customer problems and I had breed leopard geckos for about 6 years. It was also store policy for us to tell customers NOT to feed mealworms to their insectivors (spelling?). My boss always told us that mealworms could survive being eaten (never trust the "crunch" when it comes to invertibrates), and chew their way out. I also remember reading somewhere (it's been too long to remember where), that the shell of the mealworm can sometimes withstand the stomach acids of reptiles. The same article went on to say that the shell of Super Worms were different than that of a mealworm, and are therefore easier to digest. (if you want my OPINION, I think that the health of the animal, as well as the temp. it's being kept at, may effect this. A lower temp. may effect digestion) So, needless to say, for the past few months, I've sat here with my jaw on the ground, in complete disbelief that so many people feed mealworms. And, here's why: one day at the pet store some guy walked in with a fence lizard (or an emerald swift; can't remember the species, but I remember it was green and cheap). He told me it was acting lathargic, and it had a "lump" on it's side that would move when he touched it. So, I touched the lump and sure enough it moved. I lanced open the lump, poked around with the tweezers, and eventually pulled out a full grown LIVE mealworm!!!
I realize that different lizards may have different digestive tracts, but I, for one, am not comfortable "rolling those dice" with my animals (nor am I comfortable recomending it to others). I believe that you should do what ever it takes to keep the mortality rate to a minimum. That being said, I'd only recomend feeding mealworms that have just shed (you know, the "white" ones).
You do not have to believe anyting I've just said, but I gain absolutely nothing by lying to you.

-Ron

"You haven't really owned it, `till you've killed it. Now....I bet you won't do that again."

Old 08-31-2004, 05:57 PM   #6
beakgeek
I'm kind of sorry that I responded to this because it is one of the which substrate is best questions........

Lots of people use mealworms. If you are concerned about them eating a hole through your leos stomach then squish the head of the mealworm prior to feeding. I would be more concerned about leftover crickets chewing on leos or superworms doing damage, but I have to feed my leos something.

I'm curious to hear Kelli's story now.

Regards,

Terry

Old 08-31-2004, 06:38 PM   #7
Devious_bunny
Really? wow, I always thought this one was an Urban Legend! Hence my response to this question when it was posted on kingsnake...

"ask them if they believe in other urban legends (because thats all it is!) like checking in the backseat of cars for axe murders, pop rocks and coke ect..., infact bring a bottle of coke, and a package of pop rocks with you, and bet the pet store worker that if you can down the coke and the pop rocks and Not have your stomach explode (trust me it woant i've tryed it!) he will give you the meal worms.... "

.....so maybe there is osme truth to those after all

Old 08-31-2004, 06:50 PM   #8
Jeremy Letkey
I still think this is pure bunk!!!
If nothing else, how long could a mealworm survive without air???

Old 08-31-2004, 07:28 PM   #9
beardielvr
Ok~
Now I'm really confuzzled. LOL HELP!!!

Old 08-31-2004, 07:30 PM   #10
riverjop
Hey look what happened on "ALIEN"!!!

And that had to be true!....it was on T.V. wasn't it?

Kelli...are you sleeping on the keyboard again?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!