whats wrong with my leopard gecko! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
Mr.Combine
Red face whats wrong with my leopard gecko!

my adult male leopard gecko is extremely agressive that every time you pick him up he bites! and his bites hurt because he holds on for a long time and his teeth are sharp.can anyone help me!

Old 08-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
saltwaterreptiles
some geckos just don't like to be handled, my advice is, don't handle that which dosn't want it! I have one male leo as well who is a holy terror, he is STRICTLY hands off except for times I NEED to handle him, ie: getting him out of his tank so I can give it a good cleaning, my other geckos tolerate handling to varying degrees from being just ok with it, to clambering up my hand at any chance.

Not to be too ummmm.... harsh I guess, but I see this alot. Geckos should be purchased with the understanding that they are primarily display animals. Some you get lucky with, but you will encounter some that see you as a big threat and nature kicks in. If you want an animal you can handle, there are better choices than geckos.

So, to answer your question, there's really nothing wrong with your gecko, just showing his nature and a little mean streak, I LOVE that about my agressive little fella...

Old 08-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
snowgyre
Hmm... I don't know, leopard geckos tend to be rather docile. I haven't had any holy terrors, yet anyway, and those that I thought were going to be handfuls calmed down over time. How long have you had this guy? If you just got him he may be a bit stressed and feeling defensive. I've had two males bite me and mean it, but they were stressed from being shipped here. Once they got settled into their new enclosures and the routine of seeing my hand in their cage once a day they calmed down.

However, if you have had this guy a while and he still acts like that, then yeah, Cory's advice up there applies.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
DiabloBoa
i agree with Cory but i have none that are actually aggressive at this point and a few that are just plain sweethearts. just curious as to whether you got the oppourtunity to pick him out, was\is he an adult?

its nice to be able to pick one out for temperment but thats not the case usually, unless you purchased him local.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
sugarkornbizkits
Lightbulb

My first leopard gecko also bit me in the same way that you described...every time I picked him up and then wouldn't let go! He was also an adult when I got him. I adopted him from my old high school science teacher, and the gecko was a classroom pet. I did finally "tame" him, though. I just didn't give up on him. I would take him out and hold him for a while. I think after a while he kinda figured that I wasn't going to hurt him, so there was no need to bite. Maybe the kids from school were too rough with him or something. Where did you get your gecko from? Maybe the previous owner mishandled him.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
dragonflyreptiles
Ive had a few that were very agressive when I first got them, it just took some time to get them used to being handled. I had one that drew blood several times but liek Tiffany said, I think once they figure out that you are not going to hurt them they will calm down.

Not every leo will calm down but I think with time and patience most will.

Just think of them in the wild, anything larger than them will most likely want to eat them, if the leo you have has not been handled much it may just see you as a threat.

I surely would not want something that much bigger than me to pick me up all the time lol

Old 08-17-2005, 12:11 PM   #7
raiquee
I tend to agree with a bit of everything everyone has stated yet. I keep my geckos well handled by going in there practically every day and futzing with them However geckos are a prey animal (well, they also are a predator, but they aren't taking down antelopes!) and that is also why they have that dropping the tail act like most geckos do. It's a defense. Their only other option if the tail thing doesn't work is to bite.

I work in a pet store and personally i have gotten MEANER bites from AFT than anything else. They bite, and then twist Little suckers. I have yet to meet a mean gecko other then the silly little hatchlings.

But try taming him a bit, if he doesn't come around love him for what he is Geckos tend to be more of a display. I usually tell people all reptiles should mainly be display. JMHO.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
Manhattan Herps
they have their good days and their bad days, just like us, if its got teeth, it can bite

i have a male who was the the most agressive thing i have ever seen, he bit me every time i handled him, and he broke the skin each time, i got him last april, but now he one of the sweetest geckos i have, i held him for 5 min everyday and was very gentle with him, seems like that helped, sometimes the bites can hurt, but just suck it up and dont give up

Old 08-17-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
saltwaterreptiles
I keep waiting for my Odin to get that way, but honestly, I don't think he will....

He was a petshop purchase, and he was in a tank, by himself, for months before I finally broke down and get him the heck out of there. He was looking very small and skittish and his tail was shrinking all the time it seemed. WELL, he spit and spite and thrashed and did it all, and still does, no matter what. So I figure I would leave him be.

Its funny, he is also the most curious of all our geckos, as soon as anyone enters the room he strolls right to the front of his tank and checks everything out...lol... I think he is just wondering how we taste...

There he is, tail up, ready to bounce and chow down on my hand...lol

Old 08-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #10
ShannanD25
Some Leos are simply going to be a hands off Leo. I HAD one male like that...Ceaser...yes Sam, your Ceaser....no matter what I did he bit at me....drew blood so bad one time, in a series of three bites, I thought I would need stitches. The blood was running down my fingers , down my arm and on to the floor. I had no idea what they were capable of- have a new found respect for those little teeth....
Anyways....make sure you have not been handling a nother male prior to picking up the one in quetstion. I think that is what really had Ceaser latching on and ripping at me, I had just handled another male and I am sure his scent was on my hands....
Ceaser still hated me though, and took his pop shots when he could....
Currently he is residing with a friend of ours...and it is a match made in heaven....Ceaser couldnt be sweeter.....go figure....

There are definatley tempermant differences in all my Leos. I have one group I breed strictly for tempermant...I wouldn't say they are sweet as I am not sure a reptile is capable of displaying a cuddly side like a cat or dog, but these breeders and offspring show a unique docileness (is that even a word) and strong curiosity and no fear that they run over each other to try to climb into your hand....they are the first ones out of their huts if they hear a noise...even the babies show this...They seem to not be stressed by long periods of handling and seem to "enjoy" the change in sceneory....

Then there are the babies who want nothing more then to latch onto your jugular vein and kill you....gotta love the screamers and their lung capacity...

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!