A day of firsts! A little help? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
rin0425
A day of firsts! A little help?

Hey guys!
I got my first crested geckos today! I am a beardie and ball python guy usually, but I decided to start working with these guys. I obtained 6 geckos.
I got them all in their bins and put down some Pangea for them, turned out the lights. About 5 hours later I decided to go check on them and see how they were doing. I noticed that one of my new little ladies had eaten all of her food up and right next to her dish...one singular egg.
I've contacted the original owner to see if she had been paired with anyone this season and if there is a chance it's Gravid.
In any case, I made a little Tupperware incubator for it and put it in my sock drawer for now. I'll candle it in a few days also to see if it's viable.

My question is...should I be concerned that I only found one? I gave the females lay boxes but I don't know that she even had enough time to find it let alone use it. She is just sitting up in her little hide now and I don't want to bug her. She's got to be stressed to just lay it on the paper towel like that.
I'm not going to pair her with anyone, in fact I'm planning to start cooking all of the females so I can breed fresh in the spring.

Anyway, thanks!!

Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
snowgyre
It's not that uncommon for geckos (especially young females or females at the beginning/end of their ovulation cycle) to lay one egg. I've had both cresteds and leos lay single egg clutches. It might be worthwhile giving the cage an extra look over just to make sure you didn't miss any eggs. If she dumped the egg next to the food though, that sounds like a stress lay. She probably would've dumped both eggs had two eggs been ready to lay.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
rin0425
Thanks Vanessa!
I figured it was a stress lay and the egg appears infertile with candling. Since it happened on paper towel and within hours of arriving I am leaning on the side of a stress egg. I didn't see any others this morning either. I'm just gonna leave her be for a few days besides food and misting!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!