Bad Guy BEWARE OF PIJAC!!!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
varnyard
Quote:
Andrew Wyatt: USARK doesn't pretend to know what the position of others is on an HR669 type bill. But let me make our position very clear... USARK is strongly opposed to any compromise that involves a "White List" that will negatively impact the types of animals that can be worked with. We are also strongly opposed to any Federal Permit system to limit "who" can work with certain animals. Any proposals that involve either of these concepts will be opposed in the strongest possible terms by the Reptile Nation.
-----
Andrew Wyatt
President USARK
USARK is on our side as far as I can tell, I cannot say the same about PIJAC.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
varnyard
Call him John, if you know him that well, see if he will be honest with you. All I am looking for is the truth, I am like everyone else, if I am getting screwed, I want to know about it.

Joe was involved with NRIP drafts for years, he came here to blow a smoke screen in this thread. He could have been honest and told the truth about being involved with the NRIP drafts, but chose not to. Why?

IMO, he has a dog in that fight, maybe he can clear this up.

Quote:
PIJAC/NRIP: The trade in field-collected (native and non-native species) and captive-bred and reared reptile and amphibian species involves a variety of activities, including import/export, captive breeding, wholesale distribution, sale and ownership by individuals, zoological organizations and research institutions. The trade involves international and domestic movement of a wide variety of species of turtles, tortoises, lizards, snakes, and other reptilians and amphibians. These species have commercial, recreational, cultural and aesthetic values to diverse components of society.

The movement of such animals, if not properly managed, can cause the dispersal of ticks or other unwanted ectoparasites that accompany the specimens (field-collected or captive-bred and reared) being traded or introduced into captive breeding facilities. Absent the establishment of Best Management Practices and Standard Operating Procedures, facilities engaged in import, export, distribution or captive breeding may unintentionally cause the introduction and spread of unwanted ectoparasites that may be injurious to the host animals, other animals within or outside the facility, humans, or the environment.

It is well recognized that interest in the reptile trade and hobby is increasing and it provides a livelihood and enjoyment for many commercial businesses, and hobby and individual pet owners. Concerned members of the reptile trade and the reptile hobby recognize that the responsible management of reptilian and amphibian species benefits not only their activities, but also a far broader stakeholder community, such as agriculture and public health.

To meet these goals, a group of concerned members of the reptile/amphibian trade and hobby met with representatives of the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Florida's Department of Agriculture to ascertain how myriad stakeholders could work cooperatively to minimize the risk of Reptile-associated tick infestations, which are potentially injurious to agriculture and animal and human health, to increase public education and awareness, to implement voluntary standards, and to coordinate activities with appropriate regulatory agencies.

Following that meeting, the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) convened meetings in Florida to evaluate the feasibility of developing Best Management Practices (BMP) that would, among other things, provide a set of standards, most of which would be included in written Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) developed by individual participants as part of a voluntary compliance program that is designed to minimize the risk of the introduction of unwanted parasites or other identified organisms into the United States or the dispersal of such organisms among the states. Each participant would adopt written SOPs customized to meet the specific operations of each facility to ensure that the Plan's Best Management Practices have been implemented and are followed.

The National Reptile Improvement Plan (NRIP), a program to improve practices of persons involved in importation, sale or captive breeding of reptilian and amphibian species, was designed by individuals with expertise in importing, captive breeding, retail store operations, entomology, and veterinary medicine. The Plan is aimed at minimizing the risk of international or interstate movement of reptiles causing harm to the reptiles, livestock or the environment. Participation in the Plan is voluntary and available for persons that meet or exceed NRIP standards. The NRIP is designed to provide a cooperative Industry-State-Federal program that is a self-directed, self-regulated program that includes adoption and implementation of Best Management Practices, a quality assurance program, and independent verification through periodic inspections. While the Plan involves self-regulation, it works in cooperation with and under the guidance and approval of USDA-APHIS-VS and appropriate state authorities.

Download National Reptile Improvement Plan

NRIP Structure

NRIP is not a private business. It is established as a function of a subcommittee of PIJAC, a non-profit trade association representing all segments of the pet industry in the United States. NRIP is designed to be of benefit to those involved with reptiles while at the same time safeguarding American livestock and agriculture.
Initially, PIJAC will provide the requisite infrastructure and staff support. Depending on NRIP's acceptance and areas of activity, PIJAC may establish a separate corporate entity to provide the services associated with implementation and maintenance of the Plan.
Every plan participant shall be required to obtain all necessary permits, licenses, or other authorizations required by federal and/or state law.
Participation in the Plan is voluntary and open to any person, business or other entity that desires to participate and comply with the standards set forth herein.
NRIP will meet annually for discourse, inquiry and investigation into better methods of handling, shipping, housing and husbandry.
As stated above, NRIP Accreditation is based upon a Plan Participant's adherence to the standards contained in the program. Accreditation is achieved through self-regulation and inspection that may be verified by a veterinarian, or a state department of agriculture and/or the United States Department of Agriculture veterinarian with an understanding in the handling and care of reptiles and amphibians.

The NRIP performance-based standards are prepared under the direction of the Reptile and Amphibian Subcommittee of the Governmental Affairs Committee of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council. These standards are subject to a broad and inclusive stakeholder review and consultation process both within and outside of PIJAC's membership.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
Mooing Tricycle
NRIP will be an OPT IN program.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
varnyard
I am calling out these big breeders involved in PIJAC, I want BHB, or the Sutherlands, or any of the rest of the top board members at PIJAC to come here with the truth about this.

Why are they not telling us anything? I want answers, and I want to know what side of the fence they are on. IMO, that is not too much to ask.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
Mooing Tricycle
This is what i posted on BP.net about this program.

" I simply wont agree because i personally feel the fee to be a member, to register for the program, and to be acredited is FAR TOO HIGH. Sorry But The hobbyists will be turned away because of this, and i wont support it with those fees as they stand.

Good idea. Dont gouge me for money. It goes towards my animals and my state first and foremost ( if i wanted to have certain permits for species here) .

The application fee is $10.00
"Fees
Accreditation Application Fee shall be paid at the time the application is submitted. The Accreditation Application Fee is applicable to the entity seeking accreditation and is not assessed on a per unit basis if the applicant has multiple locations. The fee schedule is:
a) For PIJAC members, $100
b) For non-PIJAC members, $175
Annual Fees:
In addition to the payment of the initial Application Fee, Participants shall pay an Annual Fee based upon the type of facility as follows:
3.2.2.1 Breeders a) PIJAC member: $100 b) Non-PIJAC members: $200
3.2.2.2 Importers, Wholesalers and Distributors a) PIJAC Members: $200 b) Non-PIJAC members: $350
3.2.2.3 Pet Retailer a) PIJAC member Single store: $50 b) PIJAC Member Multiple stores: $50 for each store for the first 6 units and $10 per unit for each additional unit. C) Non-PIJAC members single store: $100 d) Non-PIJAC Member Multiple stores: $20
3.2.2.4 Event Sponsors: a) PIJAC member $100 b) PIJAC member $200"

http://pijac.org/_documents/nripadoptfinal.pdf Thats the whole document.
The Pijac fees are as follows for an "Affiliate"
"Please check the dues level that best suits your business.
Business Type Dues
Salesperson $55
Veterinarians
Individuals/Single clinic $55 per vet or $100/clinic
Multi-unit clinics $550 + $25/clinic
Hobbyist $50
Allied Industries $550
Clubs & Societies $100"
__________________"

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...highlight=NRIP

Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
Suncoast Herpetological
Bobby I and probably 20 other breeders in the industry reviewed and commented and offerred suggestions on early drafts of NRIP several years ago. Joe did have a lot to do with those early drafts. The tick issue was big springboard for the legislators and NRIP, as I said earlier, was an effort to demonstrate self regulation by the industry. The quote you placed from Bill in your first post plainly states his agenda. I don't need to call him. It is ll there to read and i support every single sentance.

As i said earlier, some level of regulation is a foregone conclusion. It's going to happen...plain and simple. The only question is do we simply keep offering resistance to any sort of regulation, a tactic which is doomed to fail/ Or do we, as an industry, offer an alternative, more industry friendly solution? That is the purpose of NRIP.

The question comes down to a choice between a little or a whole lot of regulation. No regulation at all is no longer a viable choice.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #17
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard View Post
I am calling out these big breeders involved in PIJAC, I want BHB, or the Sutherlands, or any of the rest of the top board members at PIJAC to come here with the truth about this.

Why are they not telling us anything? I want answers, and I want to know what side of the fence they are on. IMO, that is not too much to ask.
You can get your answers from the PDF file in my post previous to this. Its NOT the "new HR669" It is an Opt in program. Noone is being FORCED to join. As Adam told me on one of the threads i also linked to on BP.net, Send Pijac your concerns in a polite manner, let them know WHY you do not agree with this program, and what they can do to change it.

People freaking out about this stuff will not get stuff done. Knowing the facts and talking to the people who are in charge/involved WILL.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonsBoas View Post
I'm not a member of either PIJAC or USARK but I have seen letters posted by both on another forum stating that the bill is not dead and to keep our guard up.
The only thing that was dead, was the bill in the first form it was introduced. It is now being reviewed and rewritten, it seems, and will be introduced again. We just have to watch and wait.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
This is what i posted on BP.net about this program.

" I simply wont agree because i personally feel the fee to be a member, to register for the program, and to be acredited is FAR TOO HIGH. Sorry But The hobbyists will be turned away because of this, and i wont support it with those fees as they stand.

Good idea. Dont gouge me for money. It goes towards my animals and my state first and foremost ( if i wanted to have certain permits for species here) .

The application fee is $10.00
"Fees
Accreditation Application Fee shall be paid at the time the application is submitted. The Accreditation Application Fee is applicable to the entity seeking accreditation and is not assessed on a per unit basis if the applicant has multiple locations. The fee schedule is:
a) For PIJAC members, $100
b) For non-PIJAC members, $175
Annual Fees:
In addition to the payment of the initial Application Fee, Participants shall pay an Annual Fee based upon the type of facility as follows:
3.2.2.1 Breeders a) PIJAC member: $100 b) Non-PIJAC members: $200
3.2.2.2 Importers, Wholesalers and Distributors a) PIJAC Members: $200 b) Non-PIJAC members: $350
3.2.2.3 Pet Retailer a) PIJAC member Single store: $50 b) PIJAC Member Multiple stores: $50 for each store for the first 6 units and $10 per unit for each additional unit. C) Non-PIJAC members single store: $100 d) Non-PIJAC Member Multiple stores: $20
3.2.2.4 Event Sponsors: a) PIJAC member $100 b) PIJAC member $200"

http://pijac.org/_documents/nripadoptfinal.pdf Thats the whole document.
The Pijac fees are as follows for an "Affiliate"
"Please check the dues level that best suits your business.
Business Type Dues
Salesperson $55
Veterinarians
Individuals/Single clinic $55 per vet or $100/clinic
Multi-unit clinics $550 + $25/clinic
Hobbyist $50
Allied Industries $550
Clubs & Societies $100"
__________________"

Alicia

I agree that the fee structure is two burdensome on the small hobbyist. Everyone needs to step back and realize that the program is not yet in place. The current structure is a draft that can be amended and reworked as needed. Sending your comments to PIJAC in a civil and professional manner will undoubtedly have a much more favorable effect than simply attacking the large names in the industry with no evidence will as was done in the first post on this thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #20
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
You can get your answers from the PDF file in my post previous to this. Its NOT the "new HR669" It is an Opt in program. Noone is being FORCED to join. As Adam told me on one of the threads i also linked to on BP.net, Send Pijac your concerns in a polite manner, let them know WHY you do not agree with this program, and what they can do to change it.

People freaking out about this stuff will not get stuff done. Knowing the facts and talking to the people who are in charge/involved WILL.
I see you reached the same conclusion while i was typing

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!