worlds first spider carpalls - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #21
JPcrowley80
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertexff View Post
No offense to OP, as this is an absolutely gorgeous snake-- but IF I recall correctly, morphs do not cross species (ie an albino retic to an albino burm will not net you albino Bateaters, or even het Bateaters), so in all likely the spider trait was not expressed and this is simply a Ball JCP hybrid

Someone please correct me if I have my genetics wrong here
I'm not a genetics genius but I looked at a few other normal ball x jcp pics and the OP's hatchling definitely appears to look different (head pattern and striping). This could all be coincidence but I guess we will have to see the rest of the clutch.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #22
David Reid
Not a fan of Hybrids at all. I view them as mutts...don't think it is cool, or inavative, and view it as a waste of a good Spider male and Carpet female.

Dave

Old 05-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #23
jeffwyatt81
Original quote by David Reid,

Not a fan of Hybrids at all. I view them as mutts...don't think it is cool, or inavative, and view it as a waste of a good Spider male and Carpet female.

Dave

This is a classified ad, not a thread in the forums. If you don't like it or agree with it don't look at it.

These are beautiful hybrids and I can't wait to see what the whole clutch looks like. They sure do appear to carry some spider traits from what Im looking at. Great job, keep up the good work

Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #24
polasian
I'm going to move this thread into the Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization forum.

Everything posted thus far has been on topic to this thread, but I'm not sure if this thread should have been posted in the classifieds . It seems that you're exhibiting this animal, giving people a foretaste of the sale to come. This type of preliminary "ad" will inherently solicit opinions more-so than customers.

I'll let one of the site-wide mods know that I've moved this, and if they feel it should be moved back, then they'll do so.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #25
abcs_exotics
I would agree that simple recessive traits between species will most likely not work out but with the spider being a codom pattern mutation I would assume that it would pass on it has been a while since I saw the original carpalls but these do look different if my memory serves me right but as the clutch hatches I am sure we will find out.
not a big fan of hybrids my self but congrats those guys look awesome.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #26
ReptileJay
The reason an albino retic crossed to an albino burm do not produce albinos is that, since they are different species, the gene for amelanism is different (or in a different location). When there is only a single copy of a recessive gene, the dominant phenotype is expressed.
I would suspect that if one of these albino x albino hybrids were to be bred to another albino burm or retic, you would produce albinos about 50% of the time. (If the hybrid is capable of reproduction that is, and in reality the odds would likely be under 50% due to recombination).

In the case of a dominant gene, I see no reason why the hybrid wouldn't have the mutant phenotype. If the gene is present it is likely to be expressed.

I am personally not a huge fan of hybrids... But I must admit they are pretty. Are carpalls capable of reproducing?

Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #27
David Reid
Hey Jeff, a classified ad, really? Nothing for sale, no price...does not look like an ad to me.

Dave

Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #28
zzilikebudzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileJay View Post
The reason an albino retic crossed to an albino burm do not produce albinos is that, since they are different species, the gene for amelanism is different (or in a different location). When there is only a single copy of a recessive gene, the dominant phenotype is expressed.
I would suspect that if one of these albino x albino hybrids were to be bred to another albino burm or retic, you would produce albinos about 50% of the time. (If the hybrid is capable of reproduction that is, and in reality the odds would likely be under 50% due to recombination).

In the case of a dominant gene, I see no reason why the hybrid wouldn't have the mutant phenotype. If the gene is present it is likely to be expressed.

I am personally not a huge fan of hybrids... But I must admit they are pretty. Are carpalls capable of reproducing?
I totally agree with you. Seems like any dominant gene would be just that and would be expressed. I would say the clutch would have both spider carpalls and regular carpalls. I have wondered the same thing about them being able to reproduce. I plan on producing some Fire carpalls next year. I am interested to see if I breed the hybrids together and produce lucy carpalls. It seems to me that if you breed the hybrids themselves together you would be able to. I guess I will find out in a few years.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #29
Piratepythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzilikebudzz View Post
I totally agree with you. Seems like any dominant gene would be just that and would be expressed. I would say the clutch would have both spider carpalls and regular carpalls. I have wondered the same thing about them being able to reproduce. I plan on producing some Fire carpalls next year. I am interested to see if I breed the hybrids together and produce lucy carpalls. It seems to me that if you breed the hybrids themselves together you would be able to. I guess I will find out in a few years.
I would have to agree as well. With a recessive gene the offspring would not have any visual morphs, now it would be interesting to see if an albino ball to an albino carpet would produce any visual offspring. Or would the offsping be double hets as in if you breed the offspring to a het albino carpet or ball would you get visual morphs? Kinda interesting, makes me wanna research genetics alot more.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #30
Abby
Co-dominant and dominant traits can be passed onto a hybrid... Although these are the first Carpall morphs, just take a quick look at NERD's Platinum Jungle Retics (75% Retic/25% Burmese) and you'll see that it is possible. Check em out:

As someone else said, recessive traits might not work because they are on a different allele in different species. Some might work but only time will tell.

Congrats on those beautiful babies, and keep us posted!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!