uro shipment strange??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-20-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
chedder
uro shipment strange???

i ordered a uro a couple weeks ago, paid for it by paypal, echeck...the shipper said that once the check cleared, the uro would be shipped. Long after it had cleared, i emailed and inquired and they said "the uro is on its way and should be there tomorrow". that was yesterday...and the strange part of this is, i have no idea what address it was shipped to, they had no phone number, i dont know what method was used to ship or have a tracking number, and frankly, they had no idea if i were going to be home to receive the animal or even in town! anyway...it IS tomorrow, and no uro has arrived, and no email returned....is it a standard shipping method with reptiles to ship without any prior notification?? ive shipped parrots all over the world and would never, ever have done so without a prior assurance from the recipient that they would be there and ready to receive, checked addresses and phone over and over, and provided a tracking number or flight number and arrival time.

Old 04-20-2004, 08:28 PM   #2
ExoticPetsWS
My understanding...

..is that your address is on file with PayPal. Generally, the address is confirmed...meaning you have had items shipped there and a credit card or bank info. is using the same address. As for the phone number..that's one problem I have with PayPal. The buyers phone number should always be taken. The system doesn't ask for it.

When I receive an order through PayPal the buyers address info and the items and prices are listed. But never a phone number.

Contact the seller and ask where the items were shipped too and when he shipped them. Also, ask for the tracking number of the package.

Did you get a guarantee of any kind?

Old 04-20-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
chedder
The address I have listed on paypal is unconfirmed; it's one of the offices I work at locally. I didn't get a guarantee because the only contact I have had with the shipper is "when your echeck clears I'll ship" and then 4-5 days after it had cleared, and I inquired about it, I got another email stating simply "it is on its way, should be there tomorrow." I travel frequently so I always try to get a firm ship date BEFORE an animal is shipped so I can be sure to be here and waiting for it. My concern now is that if in fact it was shipped yesterday, how long will it be ok since I didn't receive it today? It's pretty cool around here at night....

Old 04-20-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
ExoticPetsWS
You really should contact the shipper and let them know your concerns.

I don't understand the lack of contact you have had with the shipper. Did you ask questions? Why didn't you tell him you were ordering and not to use the address listed with PayPal.

I hate to say it...but it sounds like if there is a mix up..it MAY be your fault and not the shippers.

Contact them now...and try to get this settled!

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2004, 09:01 PM   #5
chedder
There were no questions to ask until he received payment. At the point that I asked if it was received and cleared, I was told AT THAT TIME that it had already been shipped THAT DAY. In the normal course of business - and I own two - shipment is confirmed with the buyer at the point that the transaction is complete. In my business, it can't be complete without my knowing the recipient's full name, current address, at least one phone number, and I would never, EVER ship an animal without confirming with the person it was being shipped to that the timing was good. It's just sloppy business; when a customer sends me payment, the ball is then in MY court to say it's cleared, get their information, and confirm a ship date. Good grief, I do that with equine pharmaceuticals so they don't get left outside a barn for days!! And of course I've contacted the shipper...but they aren't quite as responsive now as they were before they got my payment.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:10 PM   #6
ExoticPetsWS
I'm sorry...

if I made you mad...

However, I must tell you..I ship animals all day, every day and I don't confirm a ship date. Generally, the animal is shipped the day after the payment is received..unless it's Friday or during the weekend. Inwhich case we ship Monday. Since it's not me or my company your talking about..I don't know how others do business and what their policies are concerning payments and shipments.

I think you should list this post on the BOI. Gather all your info. and post the name of the company.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #7
chedder
I'm not mad, but I'm a little aggravated at the animal's welfare being in jeopardy if in fact it has shipped, which I can't get an answer to. And I honestly did think there was a possibility that it would ship last week after the payment cleared, but it didn't...I would have understood that, but just waiting 4-5 days later and then out of the blue shipping seems a little odd. I suspect it's not really been shipped or perhaps was today, after reminding them that they'd had the payment for awhile now. At any rate, I've got my fingers crossed that the uro isn't somewhere in a truck or dock bein a little chilled!! Thanks for your interest and advice.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:18 PM   #8
dwedeking
Shipping animals, especially to a retail customer, without setting up the ship date is pretty irresponsible. Especially when waiting for a check (or e-check) to clear as emergencies can arise in those few days that would upset a schedule.

On the good side, I've had a couple of shipments delayed a day in the last couple of years and the reptiles have been fine. A uromastyx should be ok if it's just a single night or two

I'd really like for you to post your transaction on the BOI with names as I'd not like to deal with this person (from what I've seen of this transaction so far).

Old 04-21-2004, 08:45 AM   #9
chedder
I agree one hundred percent that it's irresponsible to just take a chance after almost 2 weeks have passed without checking. I suppose it comes down to whether you're in it for the money or for the animals, the degree of thought you put into their being shipped across country. There will always be two kinds of animal breeders/dealers in the world, unfortunately.

However....I did get a reply today, and the uro WAS shipped yesterday, using the US mail, which is 2nd day delivery here. It appears he has been sitting about 20 miles away at the post office dock since yesterday afternoon. I'm hopin you're right and he's ok. I'm going bring him home and warm him up as soon as he gets there! Thanks for your input and advice.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:06 AM   #10
dwedeking
Quote:
for the money or for the animals
This is a personal pet peeve of mine. When something goes wrong people think that it is a gain on the money side. Poor business is always a lose in the profit margin, especially in the pet trade and one as tightly knit as the retpile area. So they made a sale for one uro (a gross profit of $20 - $100 maybe, and a net profit of a couple dollars) but lost all future sales from this customer and possibly many others (such as mine). In this industry I'd say 75% of previously satisfied customers (especially those buying online) will check with a vendor they used previously before even looking elsewhere for a new specimen. They've lost that here (and more than likely in other transactions as well). So it's a loss on both the animals part and their pocket books.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!