Feeding Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
www.leogeckos.com
Feeding Help

I have a gecko who has eating issues. She does not eat much and when she does eat its only 1 cricket. Ive brought her to the vet, and they do not know why she is not eating. I offer her mealworms, crickets, and even pinky mice. The only thing she will eat is an occasional cricket. Is there anything I can use to kickstart her appetite or make her eat better. She is not emaciated at all, she is 49 grams, but she does not eat well. What could I do in this situation. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 AM   #2
Sauradon
How long has she not been eating? What temperature is her hot end? Does she have humid and dry hides? How long have you had her?

Old 01-26-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
Without the info Chris requested its hard to tell why she is not eat.

Hot side needs to be 90-92, cool side room temp, humid hide, dry hide, cool hide.

This time if year some naturally slow down eating from the day light cycle.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
The NY Gecko
my male refuses anything at this time, i jsut leave him be, hes done it for 2 years now. i know its agrivating, trust me its happened to me for awhile now. i guess im just used to

Old 01-26-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
www.leogeckos.com
My temps are correct, i use a uth temps stay around 90. Ive had her for around 4 months now. She is a terrible eater..please help

Old 01-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Sauradon
If temps/habitat are correct, and she's been to a qualified vet, she may be cooling. How long has she not been eating? If she's in good shape still you might wanna try wax worms to stimulate feeding.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #7
The NY Gecko
waxies have worked for me in the past, not much in nutrients but they do got alot of fat and geckos love them. if shes an adult try silkworms too

Old 01-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Supahypegex
maybe try superworms there big and fast might catch her eye. but like other have said might just be the time of year. most of my breeders have started eating like normal again but theres still one that could care less.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
www.leogeckos.com
ok thanks for all the information. She has always been a picky eater though. She only eats one item then stops. For example Ill put two cricktes in and she will go after one then stop eating and not interested in the other. I was never able to get her eating worms of any kind she is not intersted.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
dragonflyreptiles
Ok Im sorry but I have to say that waxies for feeding problems are a not a good choice, wax worms even with great feeders can cause the leo runs and with a not so good feeder that is the exact opposite of what you want to have happen.

Has she ALWAYS been a terrible eater or JUST since the winter season hit? Winter slows down most geckos, its just nature!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!