Product warning - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
phoenix-cry
Product warning

So it's not that the product is bad, poorly made, or anything like that. It's just that there is a hidden danger I thought I'd post.

I placed a Fluker's Thermometer in my snake tank. It is a round little thermometer with a very sticky back that you place on the inside of the cage.

Well, my ball python put her nose under it and popped it off the side of the tank and it stuck to her eye.

I think everything is going to be okay, cause she's in shed and although her eyes were still at the cloudy part when I got the thermometer off the eye cap came off as well. It's been a few hours and her eye looks good, so I think a bullet was doged, but only cause she was in shed. I was trying to remove the piece gently when she jerked away from me while I was still holding the thermometer and she came free.

Just a heads up. I have five tanks, I took these thermometers out of all five tanks and pulled the sticky pad off of them and then replaced them to the tank side with super glue gel and made sure it was dry before putting the snakes back in. this way is if any of them get the thermometer off there will be nothing sticky to get stuck to.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Ntyvirus
Are you talking about the little round ones with the gold ring around them? Th closest thing to anything bad happening that I've had to deal with is my my snakes popping off the little gold ring. You could have just placed the thermometer lower so she couldn't get a much leverage for next time, just a thought/

Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
phoenix-cry
Yup that's the one. It was about four inches off the bottom of the tank.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
Digital thermometers/hygrometers are more accurate anyway.

In the future, you can use baby oil to get anything sticky off the scales.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
MDC_Ophiuchus
Yeah, IMHO, those sticky thermometers are next to useless. Unless you have a gecko or something, why would someone need to know what temperature the glass is?

Personally, those stainless steel or plastic mercury thermometers for aquariums are a lot more accurate, if you don't want to spring the extra $$$ for a digital one. You can just lay them wherever you want inside the cage and get a reading 10 minutes later. IF the animal poops on it, just clean it off.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Ntyvirus
^ I've been meaning to replace mine but i like the way they look.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
scaledverts
Infrared temperature guns are so cheap now (you can find them for 30 bucks or so) that I recommend everyone should have at least one of them. They are super accurate and are easy to use. I really like them for finding and adjusting the hottest hot spot in bearded dragon cages etc.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
phoenix-cry
I was actually looking into getting one of those. Any comments on what brand or are they basically the same.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
scaledverts
In my experience they are all pretty good. Just pay attention to the distance to spot ratio. This is the ratio of the distance away from the intended target and the diameter of the measurement area. For example, a distance to spot ratio of 10:1 will give you a 1" diameter circle when measuring from 10" away. The higher the ratio the farther away from the surface you can be and still get very accurate temperature readings. Some of the reptile ones are not very high 2:1 or lower. The one I have is 9:1 or 12:1, I can't remember. Do a quick google shopping search and tons will pop up. I recommend 9:1 or higher for distance to spot ratio.

http://tinyurl.com/temp-gun-search

Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
phoenix-cry
Perfect! Thanks, that helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!