worth it for me? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Turtlesailor
worth it for me?

Hi,
I am wondering about something up in my mind...it very crazy of me of thinking of this but...I think I want to try to own a snake and at first I thought maybe i should get Kenyan sand boa or maybe a pastel ball python...but I have such fears the way snakes strike with their food or their bite LOL...I admire their look from afar but I wonder what it like to posses a snake...should I try or skip?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
mgoblue347
This isn't an answer anyone can give you. If you want a snake and will be able to take care of it properly, a bp is a great starter snake.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
RoadHouse of Retics
Maybe go to a local pet store and see if you can bring yourself to hold one. I wouldnt get one unless your 100% you can care for it properly.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
Randy F
I have never had a sand boa but cant imagine the bite hurts worse than a ball python. I have been biten by hatchlings and my 4000g female. I can tell you with all honesty that I would rather get biten by one of my snakes 10 times over once by a rat! Ball python bites do not hurt. It is mearly like the slapping of your hand (and not super hard), then you look for 4 little red dots. If you see the red dots, thats the only thing reminding you that you got bit a couple minutes later. As you learn about snakes you learn their charecteristics, and how not to get bitten. You must remeber that it is a defense mechanism, therefore there are steps to not scare the snake. At first I would hesitate and have them strike at me a lot. Now it is rare that one strikes. If you want to get one, buy a book, read it, then take your time and learn. Just because it doesn't play fetch, play dead, or purr, there are steps to take to make sure it has a good healthy long life. Atleast your asking advice and not buying one because they are cheap at petco then deciding you don't like it and turning it loose somewhere. Good on you for that!

Old 12-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
~Just Curious~
Why don't you try handling some friendly ones to calm your nerves first and see what you think? Get to know them better. I know that I'm going to be wary of any animal biting if I'm not familiar with it. You keep turtles? Those chomping beaks scare me more than any snake ever could!

But handling some nice "ambassadors" usually does help. When you work with them a bit, you build some understanding. You can see it in their body language that they're really not threatening.
Personally I think that if you want to and have the resources, then go for it. Get a docile individual and feed with tongs, you'll be fine in that regard. Snakes are just fascinating, low-maintenance pets!

Between the two species you mentioned, I think KSBs are less threatening for people who are still a bit nervous. My mother has one and I can't imagine the little "wormy" scaring anybody. They spend most of their time buried out of sight though and aren't much for handling, so if anything you might get bored after a while... Still awesome though and ball pythons are great too! Corns, rosy boas, and cal kings also pop into my mind as popular first snakes, but there's plenty of others as well. It's all completely up to you~

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
Turtlesailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy F View Post
I have never had a sand boa but cant imagine the bite hurts worse than a ball python. I have been biten by hatchlings and my 4000g female. I can tell you with all honesty that I would rather get biten by one of my snakes 10 times over once by a rat! Ball python bites do not hurt. It is mearly like the slapping of your hand (and not super hard), then you look for 4 little red dots. If you see the red dots, thats the only thing reminding you that you got bit a couple minutes later. As you learn about snakes you learn their charecteristics, and how not to get bitten. You must remeber that it is a defense mechanism, therefore there are steps to not scare the snake. At first I would hesitate and have them strike at me a lot. Now it is rare that one strikes. If you want to get one, buy a book, read it, then take your time and learn. Just because it doesn't play fetch, play dead, or purr, there are steps to take to make sure it has a good healthy long life. Atleast your asking advice and not buying one because they are cheap at petco then deciding you don't like it and turning it loose somewhere. Good on you for that!
you're description of their bite don't sound at all bad anymore but I will take everyone advise of try to hold a snake than...since the super reptile show is comping up...most breeder do allow guest to hold one right?Maybe I start from there, I am going to attend over there and hopefully their will be any pair of Coleonyx Brevis or Goniurosaurus Luii

Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
Randy F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlesailor View Post
since the super reptile show is comping up...most breeder do allow guest to hold one right?
Let me know what day you are coming and I will let you hold one. I can let you hold a baby, and then maybe a big one. And the bite is WAY scarier looking that the bite.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
Turtlesailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy F View Post
Let me know what day you are coming and I will let you hold one. I can let you hold a baby, and then maybe a big one. And the bite is WAY scarier looking that the bite.
I see that you live in California? I assume you must be a breeder? Okay, I will do so!

I hope I don't get chicken out with the adult LOL!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #9
Randy F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlesailor View Post
I hope I don't get chicken out with the adult LOL!
dont sweat it, I am a baby around big retics or burms! Years ago when I bred bearded dragons I would have huge dragons on my shoulder for hours, but if a anole got loose in my buddies pet store I was running for cover! But lets keep that between us

Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #10
Turtlesailor
Oh and I am trying to see if I can attend by saturday...but not sure what time but it will be early...I will PM you later when i figure out what time i will be likely be their..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!