Rain and mosquitoes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 09-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
WebSlave
Angry Rain and mosquitoes

We got over 17 inches of rainfall in August here in north Florida, and the mosquitoes are obviously taking advantage of the wonderful breeding opportunity that affords them. I threw a bunch of mosquito dunks into our temporary pond on the north end of the property, but there are so many temporary ponds in the low lying areas around our stream (also on the north end), that it is pretty much impossible to do anything about all of them. Heck, we have small sink holes close by, not far from the house, and likely they too are holding water now.

For that matter, it is raining right now. 0.50" so far, but it sure seems like a lot more when it is pouring down running off of the roof. Thunder off on the horizon probably means more is on the way. Oh joy...

I know the plants really need the rain and our citrus groves appreciate it, but damn..... Having swarms of mosquitoes trying to suck you dry of all of your blood when you step foot out of the house really takes all the fun out of being outside. It's not like they are going to be merciful and think "gee, I think those humans have suffered enough, so we'll leave them alone now." Lord help you if you pass out or something when outside. You would just be a dried up husk when someone stumbles on your carcass.

Thing is, wasn't more than 3 days ago when Connie and I were walking around our property and I was thinking, "gee, it sure is pleasant out here with NO mosquitoes." And that quickly, the hordes literally blew up and came out of nowhere.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
bcr229
Normally this time of year our grass has gone brown and dormant from the heat and lack of rain. This is the year of the jungle, I can't believe how wet it is!

Old 09-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
nickolasanastasiou
They are extra bad here at the moment. They are making it more challenging (and therefore I am more reluctant) to get things done. Not only the volume, but the "gallinippers" (ciliata) have been more numerous in recent days than I can recall at any point during the previous five years. I thought some spraying vehicles came by, but if they did, the treatments gave the mosquitoes a good laugh. Today was discouragingly bad.

If somebody with the necessary talent would get to getting with regard to the production and employment of high-quality artificial dragonflies, I would be appreciative.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!