BP Breeder Survey - 4 questions - please respond - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #21
jtipton
This is a great topic Harald. I am just getting into breeding and it brings to light several things that I had questions about.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
edf01
1) How many yrs have you been breeding BPs? going on my 4th year

2) Do you feel that females can be bred every year? I have bred females 2 years in a row- but never all the time ( as in every single year they breed)

3a) If yes, how many consecutive years have you successfully bred a female? only 2 years in a row

3b) If no, after how many seasons do they get a year off? 1 year is a rest period for the females.

4) Have you ever had a female produce eggs (slugs, infertile, or viable) in an "off" season? Not one that was bred, i did have a virgin female slug out ( jelly slugs) vet said it can happen, but very rare.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
Araidia
1) How many yrs have you been breeding BPs?
I've had snakes for 10 years but I've only been breeding for 3.

2) Do you feel that females can be bred every year?
Maybe they can but I don't think they should. I try for 2 years on one off only if they look and eat good and I really want to do that breeding, otherwise it's one year on one off. I think it's good to give them a year to replenish everything, in other animals back to back breeding can cause health problems so i try to give the snakes a break to.

3a) If yes, how many consecutive years have you successfully bred a female?
2 years

3b) If no, after how many seasons do they get a year off?

4) Have you ever had a female produce eggs (slugs, infertile, or viable) in an "off" season?
no

Old 10-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #24
redhood23
1) How many yrs have you been breeding BPs? 8
2) Do you feel that females can be bred every year? Yes and no. Depends on how they feed.
3a) If yes, how many consecutive years have you successfully bred a female? 4 but clutches seem to get smaller
3b) If no, after how many seasons do they get a year off? 1
4) Have you ever had a female produce eggs (slugs, infertile, or viable) in an "off" season? no.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #25
MrBig
1) 4 years breeding, 25 years keeping reptiles
2) Yes if they are healthy and gain weight back immediately after laying
3) 2 years in a row
4) 1 year off after 2 consecutive seasons
5) no

Very well thought out poll Harald. May yeild some interesting results, but my guess is that most answers will be about the same

Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #26
Pocopythons
1. 2nd year

2. Trying the girls that put back all or most of their weight. So we'll see

3. To early to tell

4. Yes last season one of girls had 5 slugs and we didn't pair her with anyone.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #27
dumje
I find it interesting how many people that have been breeding for only 1 to 4 years...

Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #28
snakesRkewl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumje View Post
I find it interesting how many people that have been breeding for only 1 to 4 years...
There was quite an explosion of new people into the hobby in 08 and 09 so it doesn't surprise me too much

Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
redhood23
I know a bunch of people who started breeding in hopes of making a few extra bucks when the economy was bad

Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #30
MrBig
That's a bad idea brett. I know I personally spend more then I make, but enjoy it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!