Phony $50.00 I'm so *^$& right now - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
sschind
Phony $50.00 I'm so *^$& right now

I went to a fish swap in Milwaukee yesterday and sold 6 clownfish to a guy and he paid with a phony $50.00. Something just didn't seem right but it was dark in the place and I let my guard down. We made the deal and he spent about an hour circling the room talking with other vendors. When he came back and gave me the money I was just happy that he paid so I didn't look that closely.

I've seen the guy at all the swaps. I've sold him fish before. I'd know him if I saw him but I don't know his name. I'm sure I could speak with the other vendors they would know him, there were not that many people there and he is a pretty easy guy to recognize. I suppose it's possible that he didn't know it was fake and someone gave it to him but I wouldn't put any money on it, not even his money.

The worst thing about it is there is nothing I can do about it. The bank confiscated the bill and they didn't even want to give me any sort of paperwork saying they did so. I finally got them to agree to send me a copy of the report they have to fill out.

I'm going to try to figure out who it may be by posting on the fish club's website but I'm not holding out much hope. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they deleted my post.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent. I hope your day is going better than mine.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Durante
It wasn't this guy, was it?

Sorry Steve, I know that was a poor attempt to cheer you up. It's a shame people pull this kind of thing & mess up a good thing for everyone. It sounds like the guy was a regular so hopefully you'll run into him again & can mention it. The type of people that do this stuff always get caught in the log run. I doubt it will make you feel any better but everyone has been screwed over at least once before... usually it's for a lot more then $50. I'll keep my fingers crossed there is a good outcome in this, keep us posted.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Focal
That's a major bummer. I understand the bank taking it away, but it would be the neatest $50 portrait hanging in the snake room.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durante View Post
It wasn't this guy, was it?

Sorry Steve, I know that was a poor attempt to cheer you up. It's a shame people pull this kind of thing & mess up a good thing for everyone. It sounds like the guy was a regular so hopefully you'll run into him again & can mention it. The type of people that do this stuff always get caught in the log run. I doubt it will make you feel any better but everyone has been screwed over at least once before... usually it's for a lot more then $50. I'll keep my fingers crossed there is a good outcome in this, keep us posted.
Don't know if it cheered me up or not but I did laugh so I suppose it did. Thanks. I know it could have been worse, a guy in another forum told how he was taken for 2 grand and the guy who passed them basically admitted it and said tough ****. The more I think about it the guy probably didn't do it knowingly, although he did say "its good" when I looked at the bill. I just didn't look close enough. Mea culpa I guess.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Metachrosis
Lesson learned,any street level deal is always done in small denominations
Anything in the 2-3 digit range requires the use of Dri Mark* or similar detection marker pen. All 4 digit transactions are certified check or bank transfers,never use PayPal.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
Don't know if it cheered me up or not but I did laugh so I suppose it did. Thanks. I know it could have been worse, a guy in another forum told how he was taken for 2 grand and the guy who passed them basically admitted it and said tough ****. The more I think about it the guy probably didn't do it knowingly, although he did say "its good" when I looked at the bill. I just didn't look close enough. Mea culpa I guess.
Geez, that guy sounds like a guy around here we know as Jeff Wise.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like this guy needs to be banned from future events if he's a known offender.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
edf01
those dry mark- are those the pens? If so, they wont always work. The new fad is to bleach dollars or fives and reprint the higher bill over it- this way- the paper is still legit money paper, and so the pens show it as real money. Look for the vertical strip saying the money denomination, and the second head. ( older bills dont have it tho) Another tip- there is a border around the printed part of the bill- this should be centered. I know someone accepted a phony 100 bill, and there was a lot more space on the top part of the bill then the rest. Also, my boss says you can feel the difference... however, I have no experience in that.

I am starting to think I should ask for payment in one dollar bills- it will be a pain in the but to fake so many dollar bills....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!