please help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
GeckoGuy31
please help

My female crested gecko has been with my male for about 8 weeks now and i have noticed weired behavior from her....She will not eat...all her legs shake uncontrollably....does climb or anything.....and i think she is about to lay eggs...but she is not looking good....does anyone have any advice to help save my crestie please.....thanks cody

Old 04-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
Have you separated them? Has she been getting plenty of calcium?

Old 04-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
GeckoGuy31
i seperated them about a week ago....and i dust the crickets with calicium everytime i feed them....

Old 04-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
HerpAddict
That does sound like metabolic bone disease, if you can, take her to a vets ASAP for some liquid calcium.

Metabolic bone disease is caused by a lack of enough calcium in her diet. When a female starts breeding, if she starts off with barely or not enough calcium, and then starts to create eggs (whose shells are constructed with a LOT of calcium), then her body will start to suck calcium up from the rest of body, which can cause soft bones (they will start to bend funny), and the shakes.

You need to separate her and the male ASAP. If she's been in there 8 weeks, then she might be close to laying. You need to start dusting every food item that goes into her cage with calcium. And I wouldn't recommend breeding her again for several monthes to a year. This is to make sure she stores up enough calcium before hand.

Goodluck with her!

Old 04-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
HerpAddict
If she is well supplemented, the only other option I can think of is that she may have fallen, or hurt herself, such that it's causing the tremors...?

I don't really know. Try checking her calcium sacs to see if she's been getting enough.

I gutload my crickets with calcium, just to make sure the cresteds get some. I dust them as well, but if a cricket is not eaten within a couple of hours, then the dusting comes off of it. Also, if you spray down the cage after putting in the crickets, then the dusting comes off even quicker.

I don't really know what else to suggest...

Goodluck

Old 04-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
GeckoGuy31
thankyou.....

Old 04-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
shadraak
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpAddict

I don't really know. Try checking her calcium sacs to see if she's been getting enough.
how do you check the calcium sacks?

Old 04-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
nicolai
you will have to open her mouth and check the sacs visually

Old 04-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
shadraak
oh wow lol, i can barely hold him let alone get his mouth open, i guess i'll only do this if it's necessary lol.was just curious, on what they were, i'm also concerned with calcium, but i think using CGD and Clarks he should be just fine with calcium, i will get some crickets soon to put in there for him once he's settled in and eating correctly, may take the back legs off and put them on leaves or i may put them in a cup and let him go down to ground level and eat them that way.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:00 AM   #10
Milwaukee Reptiles
Pangea reptiles has a good photo of the calcium sacs (http://www.pangeareptile.com/id52.htm).

CGD is fine when the animals are not breeding, but the extra calcium needed for laying females is generally more than provided by any commercial diet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!