BP Breeder Survey - 4 questions - please respond - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
hhmoore
Question BP Breeder Survey - 4 questions - please respond

1) How many yrs have you been breeding BPs?
2) Do you feel that females can be bred every year?
3a) If yes, how many consecutive years have you successfully bred a female?
3b) If no, after how many seasons do they get a year off?
4) Have you ever had a female produce eggs (slugs, infertile, or viable) in an "off" season?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
dumje
1.) started in 2004 ... 8 years

2.) if they feed properly...yes

3.) 2 years then they seem to take a year off for me...some will go only evry other year...mine just seem to not wanna feed so they are not ready for a male every year

4.) I have only ever had 1 female slug out and she was bred for me that year...never slugged out in an off year

Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
snakesRkewl
Quote:

Quote:
Yes, if they eat well in the off season

Quote:

Quote:
4) Have you ever had a female produce eggs (slugs, infertile, or viable) in an "off" season?
No

Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Dbz4246
1.) I have kept ball pythons for 3 years, this is my first year breeding

2.) No

3.) My plan is to breed females for 2 years in a row, then a year off. UNLESS the female decides to take a year off on her own. I will have few exceptions to this rule.

4.) No, as of now I have had no slugs yet. I hope that the methods that I use will not result in slugs or infertile eggs, but by no means do I expect to never have some.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
bkelley02
1) This will be my 3rd season

2) too new to answer yet.

3) Would depend on how fast the female recovered I think but probably not more then 2-3 years before a year off.

4) Never happened to me yet.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
hhmoore
I should have posted my own answers immediately, and deleted it until a number of people responded...that way, nobody could claim that I'd been swayed. I didn't think of it earlier, though
I'd like to see a few more people chime in before I comment; who knows...maybe I'll be able to stimulate a little discussion.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
snowgyre

Depends on the females, I look at pre- and post-lay weights, then make a decision about whether to breed again. Sometimes the girls make the decision for me and reject any male I put into their cages.

I have not yet consecutively bred any of my girls yet. They have been too young or too low in weight so far.

No, but I have had females go through an apparent ovulation and not get any eggs.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
CornNut
1) How many yrs have you been breeding BPs? 13
2) Do you feel that females can be bred every year? yes, some
3a) If yes, how many consecutive years have you successfully bred a female? 6 and counting
3b) If no, after how many seasons do they get a year off? n/a
4) Have you ever had a female produce eggs (slugs, infertile, or viable) in an "off" season? Never purposely had an off year; some take 1 - 4 years off when they feel like it in spite of my best efforts to condition them and introducing males

Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
RobNJ
1) Going into my 4th year.

2) Depends on the girl.

3) I have one that's bred 3 years straight and looking real good for a fourth.

4) N/A

Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
Clay Davenport

11 I think

Can be, but not necessarily should be. In my experience some just won't go two years in a row. Ideally I think it's best to have off years at least every third one.

2 at most for me. Lately though I've been intentionally breeding less so some of my females have had two to three years off and one that hasn't been bred in 5 or 6 years.

Not in a season where they haven't been with a male at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!