Photos of RI requested - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
hartge330ci
Photos of RI requested

So I have been looking on forums and youtube on what an RI in a Ball Python actually looks like without much success. I understand that mucus and bubbles is an indicator of an RI. Almost of my ball pyhons have some mucus and small bubbles in the back part of the mouth. When I picked up one of the last night, and in picking her up slightly squeezed her upper body, she pulled through my hand, and as I got to the top the neck (this happened pretty quickly) she spewed out a bunch of water and thick mucus. After that she started breathing pretty heavy and wheezing. I think I likely caused her to just throw up some water and stressed her out, but of course now I am concerned.
Can someone post photos of what an actual RI looks like vs. what is "normal" mucus and bubbles in a ball pythons mouth?

Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
j_dunlavy
even if I had pictures to post for you, only a vet could confirm you are dealing with RI.
If you have any concerns I would make a vet appt.
Best case, nothing is wrong and you will have paid for a little peace of mind.

Also, double check your temps, just in case something got knocked out of whack... common cause of RI is temps that are too low.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dunlavy View Post
even if I had pictures to post for you, only a vet could confirm you are dealing with RI.
If you have any concerns I would make a vet appt.
Best case, nothing is wrong and you will have paid for a little peace of mind.

Also, double check your temps, just in case something got knocked out of whack... common cause of RI is temps that are too low.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
hartge330ci
I agree with both of you 100 percent that only a vet can give me an absolute. The problem is that all these threads talk about saliva and bubbles but no pictures of what an actual RI looks like. I would just like to know what is normal saliva in a snakes mouth vs an actual confirmed RI.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
hhmoore
How do you tell normal from RI? Culture the fluid.
Noisy breathing and increased fluid are symptoms, and they don't necessarily mean that there is an infection present. Unless it is advanced, you won't be able to tell there is an infection by looking at the saliva.

You have a PM

Old 10-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
edf01
I had dealt with a major RI and a very minor one. The major one- I suspected before even checking the snake's mouth- heard her gurgling. When I restrained her head to open her mouth- mucus shot out.

The minor one-heard no gurgles, but heard some clicking when I was moving the snake. Went to restrain the head to open the mouth- a bubble came out.

Both times I took the snake to the vet.

But in a healthy snakes mouth- there will be wetness at the throat. I honestly never pried open a sick snake's mouth for a pic, but the vet says there is irritation, so, i'd imaging inflamed redness and such. I suppose there would be excess mucus or signs of dried mucus ( can be around the nostrils), but the vet trip really is the way to confirm it for sure. If I suspect an RI, the snake always goes to the vet for sure. And I did have more false alarms then real ones...lol

Old 10-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Randy F
One sign before even looking at the snake is that if it has any sort of illness with mucus will be trail marks all over the tub. As they rub along the tub it will leave smuges that the normal wetness is a snakes mouth will not.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!