problems from my male - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
The NY Gecko
problems from my male

i decided to buy some waxies today for my leos along with my normal order of crickets. bad idea at the time? not to my knowledge. i figured they mightve grown bored with having crickets for the last 6 months and get something different. twas not to be. i get home and immediately dropping them onto the cage floor and watching as both females start sucking them in with gusto. a good 6-8 each i think. my male was content to sit and watch with no ill will about it. does this please me? no it does not. so i grab the tweasers thinking senior gecko is just lazy. turns out thats the case. maybe. i hold them up to his nose and he begins rapidly inhaling them. awesome, for now. i had given him about 6. the first few he had lunged at. now he was kinda just opening his mouth and letting me stick them in. not natural. i stopped feeding him after i reached 6 or 7. 10 minutes later after finishing fixing my fish tank filter that is now malfunctioning due to a power outage i come back to them in their hides and a pile of regurgatated worms on the floor. beautiful, just what i want to see. i took him down stairs and gave him a 10 minute soak in the bath tub which funnily enough he seemed to enjoy. im at my wits end. ive done everything i can to help him. im not sure if its just winter time and his body is rejecting food or what. nothing in his habitat has changed. same lighting, same temps. same food, same water, same everything. its really starting to bug me. i gave him water with a syringe earlier after the soak as well. no one in my family can afford a vet bill right now. i feel as though im SOL. hes done similar things for 2 winters now. not vomitted. before he just wouldnt eat. now hes refusing all food with the exception of todays treat. did i maybe over do it and his body couldnt handle that much food after not having been eating or being inactive. his body weight is also lowering. hes got no bone deformities and his eyes are wide open and clean. nostrils arent runny and he doesnt have a rubbery jaw.
help

Old 02-24-2006, 02:22 AM   #2
shadraak
i'd say give him only 2-3 later today, if he keeps them down then atleast you know that is what the problem is, if not well then you may have a problem with parasites or as you said just refusing food. maybe even try some baby food, i see that on other forums, let them lick it off of your finger, just not too much.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
The NY Gecko
will do. my only fear is that if i do it and he throws up again its just making him more dehydrated. tahnks. more opinions welcome

Old 02-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
shadraak
well dont use water when you are syringe feeding him, try a little pedialite, always use it on my ferrets when they're sick , they seem to bounce right back up.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
The NY Gecko
bad news. i found another pile of worms on the cage floor. this is im 100% assured is not from my male. i know he got everything out of him yesterday for a fact. this was one of the other ones. i have no money for a vet and im tweaking out. i havent tried the slurry yet, but i dont have even half the stuff

Old 02-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
HerpAddict
Perhaps it was bad worms? Just the fact that they were all fine, and now are having troubles since the worm. Admittedly, if they are in the same cage, if one caught something bad off the other feeders, it will get around to all of them fairly quick.

Are the girls eating fine? Are they breeding? If so, I personally would remove the male, just so that he isn't trying to think about breeding when he's already not eating.

I've never had this happen to me before, sorry I can't offer anything more.

Goodluck.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #7
The NY Gecko
no, no breeding to my knowledge. theyve been eating fine. but they each had about 8. could some many waxies be overload on them? the one is just about 48g +/- 2g. the other is prlly around 35.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
HerpAddict
Well, I'm not a fan of binging them on waxies, as it can lead to diahrrea, and apparently vomiting now too...put them off my list of feeders for a while!:P
I have given mine around 6 at one time without problems, but each gecko is different.

If you can't afford the vet, then I would say the only thing to do would be the slurry and possibly isolation. Start saving for a vet visit, I personally have 'rainy day' money set aside for my guys, and the fund gets proportionally larger as I add more geckos. $5-10 a week is all it takes, and it grows quickly when you don't touch it. When mine gets too large, I use it for a new enclosure, or a special treat.

Goodluck!

Old 02-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
The NY Gecko
more difficult being 15 with no job, but its an idea. but it doesnt help my current situation.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:15 PM   #10
The NY Gecko
ill try the slurry asap. idk what else to do after that. if they all get sick i suppose i could take on to the vet with a fecal sample and feel its safe to assume theyve all got the same thing? then get triples of the treatments? maybe then it wouldnt cost as much as having each animal checked out. srry for double post

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!