Escapee still alive? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Snoopysmom
Escapee still alive?

About a year ago I bought young Cal king. After about a month of having him he escaped. We hunted high and low for him for days and I kept an eye out for months. There was no sign of him... my best guess was he went down the heater vent. It was especially cold at that time and the heater was running constantly so I thought maybe he had gotten dehydrated and was probably dead. Especially after months of no sign.

Fast forward to yesterday... I was in the basement picking up a pile of clothes we were discarding and found a shed snake skin. Not a dried out one either... it still felt pretty fresh. The pattern looked like a cal king and it would be about the right size. I'm 99% sure that is wasn't one from one of my other snakes as they are upstairs and I usually throw those in the trash.

The pile of clothes was next to our deep freeze so I had my hubby pull it out from the wall. I looked all over but didn't see him. Do you think he could still be alive after a year on the lamb? My goodness, wouldn't that be something?

It is cold enough in the basement that I was surprised to think he would be out shedding skin... it stays around 60 deg. down there during the winter.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Cain
My Desert king stayed active all year long and my room got down into the mid-upper 50s. So 60 wouldnt be a terrible temp. Id say still alive. If my snake got out there would be enough mice making their way in, i live in the woods, that he could survive especially at those temps. Best of luck.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Snoopysmom
Well, I've been hunting in the basement... haven't found him yet. He's got to be down there somewhere. The biggest problem is that we use two rooms down there for storage. They are full of boxes upon boxes... it will take a long time to find him if he is in one of those. I took a heating pad and a hide box down and put it along a wall. My hope is he will find it and curl up there for the heat.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Dawn Zimmerman
Did you ever find your snake?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!