Inquiry Jordan Russell of California Breeders Union - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #31
lanceheads
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofEdenExotics View Post
Okay, if you really want details, here you go!!!!

Yes, I did contact him in regards to acquiring a few caiman lizards. I have been studying these animals for some time now, and am VERY familiar with them. I was looking to add some new bloodlines into my program. I have been looking for some younger imports to add to my collection. Behavior and temperament are crucial in all of my endeavors. Recently, much of the new blood have been older animals. Thus I was excited at the prospect of seeing some younger animals suddenly available on the market. I had never heard of this gentleman, and noticed he recently joined a number of forums under his new California Breeder’s Union format. After doing some additional research, I did come across a number of threads filled with examples of how he was unable to properly ship animals, identify genders, and abide by established agreements. Many were dated several years back. Thus I contacted him in an attempt to give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume he gained some professionalism after going back to school and aging a bit.

1) I made a simple request for him to take some individual photos of the smallest few for me to view. The only available picture was very cookie cutter, and only showed a portion of a group of animals. I like to see the exact animals I am purchasing.

He informed me that he could snap some pictures but would be unable to guarantee that I was getting the exact animal I picked. He went on to verbalize that he had 9 animals between 12 to 15 inches in the same enclosure and in all honestly couldn’t tell them apart. I am sorry, but what kind of expert can’t distinguish between animals? I have worked with a number of high end exotics for a number of prestigious organizations and have NEVER had an issue distinguishing between my animals.

2) I asked for gender specifics.

He first claimed that at that size gender could not be determined. That is very false. After I discussed there was a very simple procedure for determining gender, he admitted he just wasn’t comfortable sexing them. Again, for an expert, that shouldn’t be so complicated. Don’t own, care for, and sell animals that you don’t know a thing about.

3) I asked about the animals origins.

He first made an outlandish claim that every single captive bred caiman lizard in the United States all came from one gentleman in Peru. He went on to say that there was no other person who has been able to breed them successfully. That is a seriously erroneous comment. Many zoos and aquariums have very well established breeding programs in the States. Furthermore, there are a number of private breeders who have bred these animals stateside. I know many in the South and have personally witnessed hatching more than once. I have a serious problem with “dealers” making false accusations and claims. So to try and scam me on origins didn’t go over well.

Then he went on to say that he actually purchased the animals in bulk after pooling some money together with a group of others including some wholesalers. He admitted that the animals have changed hands many times already. He went on to indicate that he even got “screwed over” in the purchase agreement by those he went into business with. If someone were such an established and reputable dealer then why conduct business this way? What kind of so called friends do you do business with if them screw you over on impact? Again, not professional.

Then he went on to say that one of the wholesalers he was working with decided to sell his lot and “beat the rest of the group to the punch” at a discounted price. He said that made him feel as though he should “just dump” his babies “well below market value”. Well, even assuming that were the case, there would be not need to “dump” babies. Anyone who has a basic awareness of these animals understands that there numbers are still limited on the open market. When all of his buddy’s group were gone, he could still charge fair value for his animals and get it all day long. It is a simple matter of elementary economics dealing with supply and demand. This lack of understanding of the animal’s status just served as a bigger testament to the lack of knowledge of the animal.

4) The care he indicated that he was giving these animals, and diet is laughable at best.

I don’t like to see animals treated in such a poor manner. These are rare species, and most legitimate sources sell them for well over a grand each. The number is limited, and fresh bloodlines are scarce. I strongly discourage dealing with individuals who acquire animals through such poorly researched and structured formats. These animals do deserve respect, and treating an animal as a quick dollar doesn’t sit well with me. I understand not every individual is going to be an expert in every species, but if you are going to purchase and keep a species then KNOW THE ANIMAL!!!!!

5) During the entire course of the conversation, this gentleman was so defensive with every question, and absolutely the most rude individual I have ever spoken with in the reptile industry. There was a total lack of decency and basic respect. He was more interested in drilling me for my “connections” and wanting to learn about how I obtained my animals than by giving honest answers about the ones he had for sale.
Name the zoo's, please.

Randal Berry

Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #32
Sssnakemom31
Definitely A++++!

I just got a female V. prasinus from Jordan, and he was awesome to work with! He gave me a terrific price, shipped her in immaculate packaging, and was definitely there for me with any questions I asked. Would I do business with him again?? MOST DEFINITELY!!!!

Kathy Weeks

Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #33
Timathy
I too had a great experience with Jordan. His communication was excellent. I would not hesitate doing business with him or recommending him to my best of friends, or anyone for that matter!

Tim Beard

Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #34
MEIER21288
In some of the videos Prehistoric pets posts, there is a jordan that deals with the ball pythons...Same guy?

Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #35
California Breeders Union
Yes, same guy.

I no longer work for Prehistoric Pets, but while there I handled the Ball Python breeding, Boas, Rock Pythons, Colubrids. I also handled their online sales, import/export and website maintenance/photography.

ps: thanks for the kind words guys, glad you all are happy with your new pets!

Thanks,
Jordan

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!