Rubbermaid - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #1
SirKevin
Rubbermaid

Hw big of a Rubbbermaid would I need to house a single adult?

Also...what are some of the ways that a Rubbermaid could be heated?

Old 03-24-2006, 01:58 AM   #2
KelliH
You would probably want to use a 28 quart Rubbermaid tub. That would give your gecko plenty of room. You can heat with Flexwatt heat tape, heat cable, or a heat pad. Whatever method of heating you choose, you will need to use a thermostat to control the temperature. Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions. :-)

Old 03-24-2006, 02:05 AM   #3
SirKevin
Thanks, Kelli!

With the heat map, this may be a very silly question but is there any risk of the rubber being melted?

Old 03-24-2006, 02:28 AM   #4
KelliH
Quote:
With the heat map, this may be a very silly question but is there any risk of the rubber being melted?
Not a silly question at all Kevin. Yes, there is a risk of the plastic tub being burned/melting if the temperature is not regulated. This is why you need a thermostat to control the temperature, and keep the heat pad at a steady temp.

I will say that many years ago, when I only had a few leopard geckos, I used regular human heating pads set on medium. I always made sure there was a small space between the pad and the bottom of the enclosure, so that there was not constant pressure on the pad. I can really only recommend using human heating pads temporarily, until a safer alternative is acquired.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:20 AM   #5
shadraak
only problem with human pads now is that they shut off after 2 hours or an hour....i have an old on just set my 58qt on it, and she's set, now i know you say 58 qt why??? WELL it's really tall but the floor space is pretty small hehe i may move her into the 28qt ones i got here, afterall that's why i bought them.... but i use a dimmer, it constantly has to be monitored and adjusted but you should be checking on them atleast 2x a day anyway right making a dimmer is very easy and cheap(about 8 bucks all from walmart)....
a little OT.....kelli did you get my pm's? curious if you found any other info on skully....well pm me i guess hehe or email me at grn.dragon@gmail.com

Old 03-24-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
KelliH
Quote:
only problem with human pads now is that they shut off after 2 hours or an hour....i have an old on just set my 58qt on it, and she's set, now i know you say 58 qt why??? WELL it's really tall but the floor space is pretty small hehe i may move her into the 28qt ones i got here, afterall that's why i bought them.... but i use a dimmer, it constantly has to be monitored and adjusted but you should be checking on them atleast 2x a day anyway right making a dimmer is very easy and cheap(about 8 bucks all from walmart)....
That's interesting about the human heat pads.. I guess all of mine are older ones, they stay on all the time. That's a good tip on the dimmer also :-)
Just checked pm's and replied to yours BTW

Old 03-24-2006, 05:20 AM   #7
shadraak
thanks, i can make them now in about 10-15 minutes lol. yeah most of them have auto off in 1-2 hours...makes them a pain, but i have mine in direct contact with it, just sitting on it really, and it's on low, then i regulate the amount of temp for it, i rarely have to have it on half way, i'd hate to see how little powe ryou'd have to put thru a flexwatt lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!