Hello everyone!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
A House Of Frogs
Hello everyone!!

Hello,
I'm Jon H. Many of you on the various frog forums know me as Rusty_Shackleford. I'm a dart frog breeder from Ft. Myers, FL. I've been keeping darts for about 3 1/2 years now. I own A House Of Frogs along with my fiance'. We specialize in mostly larger dart frogs, just because thumbnails and Pumillio just aren't are thing. We're currently working with 14 different species/morphs and growing all the time. We'll also be offering broms, tilliandsia, orchids, and other vivarium plants soon. We also plan on offering other general supplies such as fruit fly media, culturing supplies, and other goodies.
We do have a FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/AHouseOfFrogs
Working on our website, though neither one of us are computer wizards.
Come watch us grow and look for our ads for some of the best captive bred dart frogs around.
We're always available to answer questions so don't hesitate to ask. We believe in education, research and the sharing of knowledge with other herp keepers.
Thanks,
Jon

Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
~Just Curious~
Welcome to Fauna Jon!
Dart frogs have always struck me as fragile, so I can't imagine getting any personally, but I do love looking at them. They're just so beautiful and of course their planted vivariums make for stunning displays. I couldn't do it, but there's different strokes for different folks. It's all so neat and I admire you keepers~

Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
A House Of Frogs
Hello Autumn,
Thanks for your nice message and warm welcome. I feel sorta out of place among all these snake keepers lol. Not really though. I started keeping herps at age 14 in 1983 with my first pair of lizards. It's been all downhill from there. I'v kept and bred several different lizards from chameleons to day geckos. We're all a part of the big herp loving family and even though I don't keep snakes, I still love and appreciate them.
Dart frogs really aren't as hard to keep as you think. As long as all their environmental conditions can be met they are relatively easy. Let's face it as herp keepers we are all used to monitoring our animals temp and humidity and adjusting them to keep the perfect environment for our herps. I would say the part I dislike the most about keeping dart frogs is making fruit fly cultures every week. Not that it's hard work it's just kind of a tedious chore that has to be done every week. But hey that's the sacrifice we make in order to keep these lovely animals in our homes. Other than that nothing seems like work, especially when you're as passionate about your animals as we are.
Be on the lookout for our photos of our frogs, frog room, and vivariums. I'll be posting a bunch of photos really soon. Thanks again and have a wonderful evening.
Jon

Old 07-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
~Just Curious~
I guess if I look around, snake-folk do appear to be the majority here, but perhaps I never really noticed because I'm one myself. I just feed frozen/thawed once a week, so they're very low-maintenance in that regard, but at the same time I think it's what you have to feed them that puts so many people off.

I use timers and thermostats, so I can imagine that transferring over to frog husbandry. I even glanced over some dart frog care sheets just now and it seems straightforward enough, it's all in the environment like you said, but I find myself seeing them as tiny, living works of art - I love to look, but fear they'll shatter if I touch them. (lol dramatic I know) They trigger memories of beautiful saltwater fish and I've honestly never had much luck with aquariums. Or plants either for that matter. I really do admire those who are able to keep mini rainforests in their homes, it's something else.
Personally I've always had the dream of someday owning one of those natural displays, something I can keep in the living room thanks to it being stocked with critters that won't completely horrify the houseguests for a change, but it feels out of my league for now. I think it's best that I stick with what I know and leave all the froggies and geckos to you guys (for their sake at least)
Besides, there's folks like you who are nice enough to share photos and keep me sated in the meantime. I saw an ad of yours and they do look gorgeous! I'm wishing your business the best of luck~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!